Wren Baker Press Conference at 10 a.m(CT)

MGNation92

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You have a consumer mindset here.   As a fan of North Texas right now (really over the past several decades), I don't know how anyone could give a dime to UNT athletics with that mindset... there just hasn't been much worthwhile to consume.  

At some point (during all of the sucking) you decided to invest a pretty penny for club seats.  Why?

Paying fans have invested in the program (whether you're Brint Ryan cutting $1mil+ checks, or Jimmy Regularguy gutting $250 MGC checks).
If we're going to demand immediate improvement from WB & Co, what can we do to help?  That is our accountability as fans (re:investors).

This is in no way an argument to throw money/time/effort into something expecting the same-ole, same-ole in return.

Guess what. Consumers have a consumer mindset. Yes, you need big donors, but consumer mindset drives ticket sales, especially in the wingzone and less expensive seats. 

I have no doubt the new AD will find ways to get consumers interested in Football fairly quickly. Basketball will depend a lot on the decision on Benford.

We shall see.

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Says someone who won't stop beating a dead horse?

Look, you finally got your white whale ... or windmill ... or whatever other imaginary literary beast you prefer ... time to move on. There's no need to keep looking to the past.

That is your deal, not mine. And you demonstrate it by trying to say fans are accountable for attendance.

Ill make you a deal. You come into the 21st century and I'll stop revisiting the 1990s AD that was just fired. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

You can find the link for it here:

http://conferenceusa.com/watch/?Live=15

I did not hear???? What did we hear from the last two hires? That there is a commitment to win and be successful at the highest level!!!!!!!!! Also that the resources will be there!

He is a VP so he sits at the executive table! Again Prez showing his commitment to ATHLETICS!

These two latest hires have been describe by many in their field as young rising stars. They have not come to UNT to see that fade!

It is time to say "F" potential and exceed expectations! GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm all for trial and error. It's what I do every day. Best to fail early and quickly in order to figure out what will and won't work.

Wait....you've sat and supported 15 years of what wasn't working and never raised an eyebrow in disapproval.  And worse,..mocked and complained about those here who did.

So I find it difficult to believe you care one bit over "figuring out what will and won't work".

Try again.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Wait....you've sat and supported 15 years of what wasn't working and never raised an eyebrow in disapproval.  And worse,..mocked and complained about those here who did.

So I find it difficult to believe you care one bit over "figuring out what will and won't work".

Try again.

Rick

I feel the same way about many on this message board but whatever ...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Try again.

Rick

So much this. And then comes on here and gives us a quote that could have come straight from the mouth of Rick Villarreal. 

Just makes me shake my head.

There will be resistance to Baker. Make no mistake. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Guess what. Consumers have a consumer mindset. Yes, you need big donors, but consumer mindset drives ticket sales, especially in the wingzone and less expensive seats. 

I have no doubt the new AD will find ways to get consumers interested in Football fairly quickly. Basketball will depend a lot on the decision on Benford.

We shall see.

I'm not talking about people who are not donors.  Those would be the consumers...  those coming just to catch a game or something.  Those people are not going to come until we start winning.  That's fine.  I'm pretty sure those are not the ones @UNTFan23 is asking for 'accountability' from.

I'm talking about people like you and me who are MGC members and season ticket holders.   The "real" fans.  
I don't remember who started it, but I recall glancing at a thread saying they were going to commit to bringing 4 people who have never been to a game out for a game this season.   That's the kind of thing we can/should be doing.  I may join in on this challenge... if anyone I invite will actually come.

50 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Says someone who won't stop beating a dead horse?

Look, you finally got your white whale ... or windmill ... or whatever other imaginary literary beast you prefer ... time to move on. There's no need to keep looking to the past.

Idn't the old wise tale something like you'll never be what you want to be until you understand what you were or something of that nature. Continuously talking about past failures keep them fresh and makes sure past mistakes are not repeated. You even state trial and error is a part of your profession...soooo.....You need to remember your errors so you can prevent them from happening again, right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Idn't the old wise tale something like you'll never be what you want to be until you understand what you were or something of that nature. Continuously talking about past failures keep them fresh and makes sure past mistakes are not repeated. You even state trial and error is a part of your profession...soooo.....You need to remember your errors so you can prevent them from happening again, right? 

Remembering past mistakes in order to not repeat them is important but it doesn't require beating the topic to death.

Also, in my line of work, what doesn't work for one problem will work for another problem. So goes it with technology.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Remembering past mistakes in order to not repeat them is important but it doesn't require beating the topic to death.

Also, in my line of work, what doesn't work for one problem will work for another problem. So goes it with technology.

I have been positive on here the last week until you came to this thread and espoused the same, tired mantra of the 1990 AD. 

Trust me, my focus is forward, but I won't ignore backward assed ideas that made UNT the worst FBS in America. I'll confront them every time they raise their narly head. 

I know this will happen from time to time as the ardent RV fans will latch on to anything to prove their point. I just wish we all could move on.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

Ugh, even this thread is devolving into the same crap.

On another note we sure like our ADs on the chunky side. :)

right? The amount of "this is how things should be done!" sentiment being thrown around is un-fn-real.

That being said, this is the result of 15+ years of being failed and lied to.  Can't really fault people for some of this.

I'm just gonna let the Wren wrun this thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Vito said he would ask all of the pertinent questions ... he asked three?  Maybe?  

Way to under perform once again, Brett.  There's a reason why Brett is still covering Denton when previous guys moved up the latter. 

That press conference was way too short and had way too few questions asked. 

Spell check? Didn't you listen to Wren?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, meanrob said:

Ugh, even this thread is devolving into the same crap.

On another note we sure like our ADs on the chunky side. :)

Yes. But there is a big difference. The former AD had gravity...the new AD has gravitas!

• Upvote 2