How to get fans to the games??

Three things for this local Alumnus

1) Win some games

2) Bring in some names we've heard of.  And no, old Southland Conference rivals do not count

3) Make it easier to go to the game.  Until you have a rocking program, don't charge me to both park and enter the stadium.  Frankly, as long as you're playing the Holy Handgernade School of the Bible (Trenton), there are better things on which to spend the money.

• Upvote 4

The Wing Zone should be an easier fix that getting full price fans to attend our games. Bring back Band Day with local high schools and give them, their family and friends, free tickets to Wing Zone. When Russ Potts was A.D. at S.M.U. his motto was " an empty seat never bought a hot dog", or something to that effect.Run buses to Robson Ranch and offer them tickets to  Wing Zone priced to recoup your cost of transportation When I was growing up in Ft. Worth T.C.U. had a "Frog Club" for kids and tickets were 50 cents for end zone seats[granted,bread was 20 cents a loaf, cigs 25 cents a pack, gas 18 cents a gallon]. My point is that the Wing Zone is the  low hanging fruit, and in my opinion should be the easiest to pick.

• Upvote 1

The question should be "How do you get UNT students to attend games?"

Fireworks - Nice view outside the stadium.

High school bands - How many college students would turn up to watch a high school band play?

Watch a local rock or country band give a concert - Advertise it around campus and see what happens.

Have funny competitions between groups of students.   Fraternities, sororities, dorms, etc. - Fraternity that wins gets to keep the trophy for a year.  The next week have dorms compete, etc.

Build a student base and it will pay off in future years.

Edited by casual fan
  • Downvote 1

On 7/30/2016 at 11:01 AM, Christopher Walker said:

[published mid-April 2015]

Huh. I would love it if Pres. Smatresk just randomly walks around campus or takes meeting in the official Regalia all the time.

We would need to special order him some sort of Eagle Headed Mitre to wear...  

Seriously, there is the train track that parallels Hwy 377.  It runs from downtown Fort Worth to the A Train station in Denton.  I wonder what it would take to add a commuter line to that track?  The tracks that run behind the soccer stadium and Loveless Field runs out of Dallas County.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, wardly said:

The Wing Zone should be an easier fix that getting full price fans to attend our games. Bring back Band Day with local high schools and give them, their family and friends, free tickets to Wing Zone. When Russ Potts was A.D. at S.M.U. his motto was " an empty seat never bought a hot dog", or something to that effect.Run buses to Robson Ranch and offer them tickets to  Wing Zone priced to recoup your cost of transportation When I was growing up in Ft. Worth T.C.U. had a "Frog Club" for kids and tickets were 50 cents for end zone seats[granted,bread was 20 cents a loaf, cigs 25 cents a pack, gas 18 cents a gallon]. My point is that the Wing Zone is the  low hanging fruit, and in my opinion should be the easiest to pick.

I remember TCU Band days in the mid 90s (back when TCU was in the WAC and horrible). Never in any of those times I went did it get me or my family to go to a TCU game. 

Things like Band Day sound neat and all but we already offer "free" or discounted tickets for prospective students and it's called NT Preview day, which is November 19th this year.

21 hours ago, casual fan said:

The question should be "How do you get UNT students to attend games?"

Maybe phrase it like "How do you get *more* students".

While they're not filling the upper deck, students are showing up. Alumni are not even filling up the bottom bowl.

The Greek Games sound like a fun idea, though.

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

Maybe phrase it like "How do you get *more* students".

While they're not filling the upper deck, students are showing up. Alumni are not even filling up the bottom bowl.

The Greek Games sound like a fun idea, though.

My point was "more" focus on attracting students to the games.   Most don't attend games. 

If something is done to attract more fans, it should involve the 37,231 students first.  

Right now is  their time at North Texas.

8 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I do like that Texas St President Denise Trauth invites alumni to come to a game in her suite. My wife and I have attended a few. I wish our President would do something similar with members of the alumni association. 

He does.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4