Marketers respond to System chancellor’s remarks on university ads

Skipper

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree with Jackson 100% on this.   I hope we will start to specifically state what makes us great versus the broad sweeping generalities.  I would like to see us do the same thing in sports marketing.  No we haven't been winning, but the style of Littrell's offense, the Littrell hire, the tailgating and stadium experience and cost/value proposition for entertainment are things you can sell.

"It's Teed Up Wide... Now Let It Fly High And Open"

"Tee It Open And Let Her Fly Wide"

"She's Teed Off..Better Let'r Sleep It Off".

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

How about our Logistics Program is ranked 5th in the Nation.  Our finance program has won the National Championship 5 yrs in a row for investment competition, beating Harvard, Stanford and everybody else.  We have a top flight Business professional building that I would stack-up against any college in the nation.  Our Accounting and Business schools are rising fast in status nation-wide.  We just opened an accredited Law School, and are opening a medical school in a few years....already approved.  UNT is an excellent University....we just have to get the word out!!!!

^

This whole music diatribe put out by untjim is real in content, but at the same time it is dying off. UNT offers a good music program, yes. UNT also offers lots of good programs. UNT is showing with facilities what direction they are trying to move toward and it may come as a slight surprise to some that it's not music. The dilapidated 1-story and 2-story music buildings says a lot about branding and direction.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

^

This whole music diatribe put out by untjim is real in content, but at the same time it is dying off. UNT offers a good music program, yes. UNT also offers lots of good programs. UNT is showing with facilities what direction they are trying to move toward and it may come as a slight surprise to some that it's not music. The dilapidated 1-story and 2-story music buildings says a lot about branding and direction.  

I guess you don't count the Grammy's the music school has won recently????

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

^

I won't argue the dilapidated bit, but that has more to do with the THECB and State Legislature's fiscal mood year-to-year when it comes to Tuition Revenue Bonds (TRBs). In this last cycle, they finally started issuing them again, and thus the upswing in projects that are getting started or are finally being completed, but that's true of every public institution in Texas right now. 

As it stands currently, the College of Music is doing just fine utilizing the space it has, even if their brutalist exteriors could use an overhaul. That's why the priorities are for the new CVAD building which will double their space footprint, and the Science Research buildings which have been languishing far longer.

• Upvote 1

At least we don't have this problem

https://www.texastribune.org/2014/11/18/texas-association-business-revives-grad-rate-billb/

I have to admit that I like quite a few of the SFA billboards I see... very clean and crisp

billboard-great-geologists.jpg

billboard-think-outside-the-city.jpg

You also have to respect the simplicity and 

I-Chose-Houston-Billboard-promotion-for-

I-choose-Houston-UH-billboard-and-a-few-

Taking advantage of the rare occurrences that our athletes ever get recognized for their athletic achievements would also be a plus.  You could easily replace Hakeem's name with Joe's

bce0d335297129c43a5014d8e6c7f389.jpg

Sometimes less is more 

96ad12bf391f42fba4c1c390a23e02b5.jpg

innovatebb.jpg

Similar 

Texas%20Tech%20Billboard.jpg

Want to show off a particular accolade? 

hjn011011bizmiamima_847728a_1.jpg

or directly address Corporate America's disdain for the life lived in "Office Space"

6898-MBA-Billboard---Cubicle.jpg

Instead.... here are what we have seen:

29_dfwads_2.jpg

10_421_Billboard_Education_670x300_034.j

15_056_Clear_Channel_Denton_FY15_Annual_

About 3 too many words

10_Ads_Billboard_DFW%20graduates_banner%

3 hours ago, All About UNT said:

At least we don't have this problem

https://www.texastribune.org/2014/11/18/texas-association-business-revives-grad-rate-billb/

I have to admit that I like quite a few of the SFA billboards I see... very clean and crisp

billboard-great-geologists.jpg

billboard-think-outside-the-city.jpg

You also have to respect the simplicity and 

I-Chose-Houston-Billboard-promotion-for-

I-choose-Houston-UH-billboard-and-a-few-

Taking advantage of the rare occurrences that our athletes ever get recognized for their athletic achievements would also be a plus.  You could easily replace Hakeem's name with Joe's

bce0d335297129c43a5014d8e6c7f389.jpg

Sometimes less is more 

96ad12bf391f42fba4c1c390a23e02b5.jpg

innovatebb.jpg

Similar 

Texas%20Tech%20Billboard.jpg

Want to show off a particular accolade? 

hjn011011bizmiamima_847728a_1.jpg

or directly address Corporate America's disdain for the life lived in "Office Space"

6898-MBA-Billboard---Cubicle.jpg

Instead.... here are what we have seen:

29_dfwads_2.jpg

10_421_Billboard_Education_670x300_034.j

15_056_Clear_Channel_Denton_FY15_Annual_

About 3 too many words

10_Ads_Billboard_DFW%20graduates_banner%

How about:

UNT, where losing is what we do!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That's the whole problem, though. We don't care about winning in revenue sports, institutionally. We care about enrollment and music and arts. Those are the primary windows of the university. I'm not even saying that they are wrong in the way they have chosen to go--we have a gigantic enrollment and a world-renown music school. Its just that no other school in the Southwest does it this way.

Yes. And we do have many fine programs that can serve as windows. Unfortunately, a majority of the people wanting to look inside start by using the windows we haven't yet washed clean.

• Upvote 1

The crowd here is going to argue ad eternum about what type of student the university should aim to attract.  Do you go for the whole AAU Tier 1 We're a Dixie Ivy accept less than 30% of applicants and those who enter all have perfect SAT scores and upper crust politically connected parents or do you continue to serve the DFW everyman?  Both serve definite, positive purposes.  UNT needs to choose one, but neither the university nor its alumni seem to be able to choose.

I suggested that our law school slogan should be " A Cheap Law School For Cheap Lawyers", but they didn't have the money to pay for advertising. Regarding the hybrid medical school to be started in Ft. Worth, I doubt it will see the light on day. According to a  Star Telegram article a few months ago,UTSW Medical School received a multimillion dollar donation from a UT grad who lives in Cowtown for a satellite campus They found a vacant building, and are moving forward, although I don't know their current status. Perhaps a Tarrant County Eagle could provide an update.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT--The Creative Heartbeat of Texas--appeals to the fine arts students and alumni

UNT--120 Years of Teacher Preparation--appeals to the future educators, as well as alums in that field, and it talks up our history

UNT--Green Light to Greatness--???

UNT--Among the Best for Thousands Less (not shown)--appeals to those looking for low costs

The university pretty well touches on the three areas that they are using as their main windows in these billboards--incredible music and fine arts, great history of educating teachers, and having lower costs for students. And the results from that are rather impressive--we get tons of students, many of whom go on to have wonderful careers as teachers and within the areas of music and fine arts. Its not as if they have failed with these areas of interest. It just doesn't involve anything with athletics. And being in the minority of the UNT Family on this board, the rest of us just have to understand that this is how it has always been and currently is today. Will that change in the future? It all depends on the leadership's guidance, which right now cannot be more clear in telling anyone with a brain that winning in athletics and being proud of our teams are nowhere near being important to them, which is the polar opposite of how revenue athletics are treated at every other university in this state with a FBS or FCS program.

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UNT--The Creative Heartbeat of Texas--appeals to the fine arts students and alumni

UNT--120 Years of Teacher Preparation--appeals to the future educators, as well as alums in that field, and it talks up our history

UNT--Green Light to Greatness--???

UNT--Among the Best for Thousands Less (not shown)--appeals to those looking for low costs

The university pretty well touches on the three areas that they are using as their main windows in these billboards--incredible music and fine arts, great history of educating teachers, and having lower costs for students. And the results from that are rather impressive--we get tons of students, many of whom go on to have wonderful careers as teachers and within the areas of music and fine arts. Its not as if they have failed with these areas of interest. It just doesn't involve anything with athletics. And being in the minority of the UNT Family on this board, the rest of us just have to understand that this is how it has always been and currently is today. Will that change in the future? It all depends on the leadership's guidance, which right now cannot be more clear in telling anyone with a brain that winning in athletics and being proud of our teams are nowhere near being important to them, which is the polar opposite of how revenue athletics are treated at every other university in this state with a FBS or FCS program.

I mean no disrespect by saying this but if we continue to go after the future teachers and Starving Artists and Cheapskates of America then we will never get our endowment fixed. It's lazy to go after the people we were going to get anyway.

I mean no disrespect by saying this but if we continue to go after the future teachers and Starving Artists and Cheapskates of America then we will never get our endowment fixed. It's lazy to go after the people we were going to get anyway.

Yep.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Exactly why I absolutely hate our billboards that have the girl with green hair that says "Creative by Choice" yuck. That's our worst billboard yet.

• Upvote 1

So much of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Exactly why I absolutely hate our billboards that have the girl with green hair that says "Creative by Choice" yuck. That's our worst billboard yet.

I haven't seen this one, but it sounds like an absolute atrocity. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

So much of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I haven't seen this one, but it sounds like an absolute atrocity. 

Being a Teacher/Coach I do think continuing to target that group of our student population is important however, I think there are better ways to improve overall vision of the university.  Promoting the business school seems to be most logical choice, but I don't know much about that school.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

Being a Teacher/Coach I do think continuing to target that group of our student population is important however, I think there are better ways to improve overall vision of the university.  Promoting the business school seems to be most logical choice, but I don't know much about that school.   

It is important. But the artsy crowd is going to come here. The aspiring teachers in the DFW metroplex and the greater North Texas area are coming here anyway. The music enthusiasts are coming here regardless as well. This is the crowd we are getting into North Texas with minimal effort. And I couldn't agree more with you, we must spring our business school to the forefront. They are going to be the mega-donors of the future. UNT needs to be out catering to those students to get them onto campus. 

On 3/31/2016 at 3:39 PM, Ben Gooding said:

UNT is showing with facilities what direction they are trying to move toward and it may come as a slight surprise to some that it's not music. The dilapidated 1-story and 2-story music buildings says a lot about branding and direction.  

Merely part of the marketing strategy. I have it on good authority that a billboard in the near future will feature a picture of music students sitting on the sidewalk in front of said buildings with the caption in bold letters ... "Buskers By Choice".

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

You should have it right in front of and overlooking your place of employment...a place full of alumna from every school in the Big 12 and surrounding areas..and then have to live with those characters 24 hours at a time. I'm tellin ya...ya don't want it!

smh

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Merely part of the marketing strategy. I have it on good authority that a billboard in the near future will feature a picture of music students sitting on the sidewalk in front of said buildings with the caption in bold letters ... "Buskers By Choice".

That's a good one! 

For the life of me, I have never understood this animosity towards our music program.  Would someone please remind me where the largest gift ever made to UNT came from? Was it from a former football star,? You know, the window to our university? Maybe someone impressed with our business school?  

Now I remember...it was from someone would supported our College of Music.

• Upvote 2

Everyone seems to forget that we have an engineering program that's been steadily growing and creating a solid alumni base in DFW. I would love to see UNT start marketing the STEM side of the university instead of just music/arts. UNT is in fact more than just a music school these days.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2016 at 1:25 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

How about our Logistics Program is ranked 5th in the Nation.  Our finance program has won the National Championship 5 yrs in a row for investment competition, beating Harvard, Stanford and everybody else.  We have a top flight Business professional building that I would stack-up against any college in the nation.  Our Accounting and Business schools are rising fast in status nation-wide.  We just opened an accredited Law School, and are opening a medical school in a few years....already approved.  UNT is an excellent University....we just have to get the word out!!!!

Moot Court National Champs this year too.  And State Championships pretty regularly.  Poli Sci was 2nd in the world when I started grad school.  Debate team used to be champs regularly as well, not sure about recently.  Psych was ranked 6th at one point.  When I was a tour guide we had to know the top-ranked programs, as well as the groundbreaking ones, and there were quite a few in the Top 10.  Every time program rankings come out, we need to promote which ones made the Top 10/20 really heavily.  And whenever we win a major academic competition, plug that everywhere possible as well.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, brooks91 said:

Everyone seems to forget that we have an engineering program that's been steadily growing and creating a solid alumni base in DFW. I would love to see UNT start marketing the STEM side of the university instead of just music/arts. UNT is in fact more than just a music school these days.

Also an excellent program that produces big $ donors if they come back.