MGB: UNT opens spring tomorrow, sked, policy for attending

Brett Vito

Has anybody seen the 360 video they just released on Mean Green Sports? At the end Littrell says he wants you there at the Spring Game but we can't even go watch them do Spring practices?

Remember the 66-7 loss on homecoming RV? You hid in you're office during that game while we became a headline on ESPN...joke

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

No kidding!  Remember Dodge's first spring game?  Over 5,000 in attendance.  At Fouts Field.  Now, that may have nothing to do with the current AD screwup, but what are the chances of having even 500 show up for this years spring game?  RV has beaten down Mean Green fans to a pulp.  And he still doesn't get it.

Too bad we happen to have a first year coach or a boycott/protest would be in order. I guess we still could, but Seth deserves his chance. How convenient for RV.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, medpilot21 said:

How the hell does the stupidity keep happening? The Athletic Department keeps making the same mistakes over and over, and no one has learned a damn thing. I know this is probably an old-school mentality, but Darrell Dickey once told ALL of us that he NEEDED us to be a part of this program for it to be successful. We attended all of the practices, scrimmages, and knew the players and their families. North Texas won FOUR straight Conference Titles and went to FOUR straight Bowl games. I cant imagine a more desperate time for UNT football and basketball than today?  Yes, I agreed it was time for DD to go when he did, and we all understood why that happened. But fact is fact..Since that time, we have done nothing but get worse and worse? North Texas is not Oklahoma University, or LSU, or Alabama. They CANNOT afford to alienate or exclude any fans or Alums when this program needs them most? This is absolute stupidity. RV could have fixed this mess before it got this far, and now we are outsiders once again. I admit I see things from a very simple perspective.. If you want people to become interested in this "train wreck" of an athletic program, you include them, not exclude them. North Texas is currently scorned by most High School athletes who know what things around Denton have been like? Now they show everyone again how fans and Alums are not welcome? North Texas needs every living soul on this earth who is willing to go to a practice or scrimmage to be there, and RV is telling them no... again. 

I took some time away from UNT Sports to get a clearer perspective. The bad press and constant losing takes a toll on everyone. The point has been made clear again that RV has not checked back in to help heal these wounds. Hiring a football coach was only a small obstacle in the many this program will have to overcome. People have to matter first Rick, then go win a football or basketball game. This program is in shambles and Seth Litrell cannot fight this battle alone. If Coach Litrell is the one who excluded the fans, then an AD somewhere should have told him how important the fans and Alums are to this program right now. Someone has to eventually right this ship.A few other Alums have already "transitioned" to Texas A&M and SMU, so I will now follow. I know, that makes us band-wagoners but I have seen where this road leads and "no thank you". 

North Texas will always be written on my degree, and I wish you all the best!

GMG

Thank you for your courage.  Have one of these:
chocolatechip3.jpg

11 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

No kidding!  Remember Dodge's first spring game?  Over 5,000 in attendance.  At Fouts Field.  Now, that may have nothing to do with the current AD screwup, but what are the chances of having even 500 show up for this years spring game?  RV has beaten down Mean Green fans to a pulp.  And he still doesn't get it.

I bet, just because of the new coach/system, there will be more people at the spring game this year than there were last year.   Maybe not 5K, like Dodge's first year, but closer to that than 500.

5 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

Has anybody seen the 360 video they just released on Mean Green Sports? At the end Littrell says he wants you there at the Spring Game but we can't even go watch them do Spring practices?

Remember the 66-7 loss on homecoming RV? You hid in you're office during that game while we became a headline on ESPN...joke

He didn't say anything about the spring game.  
He said, "Apogee Stadium is one of the finest around, and I can't wait to see each and every one of you there September 3rd against SMU."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

You can watch them practice

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, medpilot21 said:

How the hell does the stupidity keep happening? The Athletic Department keeps making the same mistakes over and over, and no one has learned a damn thing. I know this is probably an old-school mentality, but Darrell Dickey once told ALL of us that he NEEDED us to be a part of this program for it to be successful. We attended all of the practices, scrimmages, and knew the players and their families. North Texas won FOUR straight Conference Titles and went to FOUR straight Bowl games. I cant imagine a more desperate time for UNT football and basketball than today?  Yes, I agreed it was time for DD to go when he did, and we all understood why that happened. But fact is fact..Since that time, we have done nothing but get worse and worse? North Texas is not Oklahoma University, or LSU, or Alabama. They CANNOT afford to alienate or exclude any fans or Alums when this program needs them most? This is absolute stupidity. RV could have fixed this mess before it got this far, and now we are outsiders once again. I admit I see things from a very simple perspective.. If you want people to become interested in this "train wreck" of an athletic program, you include them, not exclude them. North Texas is currently scorned by most High School athletes who know what things around Denton have been like? Now they show everyone again how fans and Alums are not welcome? North Texas needs every living soul on this earth who is willing to go to a practice or scrimmage to be there, and RV is telling them no... again. 

I took some time away from UNT Sports to get a clearer perspective. The bad press and constant losing takes a toll on everyone. The point has been made clear again that RV has not checked back in to help heal these wounds. Hiring a football coach was only a small obstacle in the many this program will have to overcome. People have to matter first Rick, then go win a football or basketball game. This program is in shambles and Seth Litrell cannot fight this battle alone. If Coach Litrell is the one who excluded the fans, then an AD somewhere should have told him how important the fans and Alums are to this program right now. Someone has to eventually right this ship.A few other Alums have already "transitioned" to Texas A&M and SMU, so I will now follow. I know, that makes us band-wagoners but I have seen where this road leads and "no thank you". 

North Texas will always be written on my degree, and I wish you all the best!

GMG

I don't know medpilot, but I have seen him post on this board for years...he obviously has been around since the beginning of the SBC days, if not much sooner.

He is leaving us for another school because of ineptitude at our athletic department's feet.

And nobody in leadership even cares. Another one bites the dust and the UNT 17 Mean Green move forward...

UNT'd.

59 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

You can watch them practice

For a few minutes, apparently. Seems like a real solid use of time to drive all the way to the Practice Fields to watch ten minutes of stretching...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

That's not what the MGB story seems to be saying.

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

For a few minutes, apparently. Seems like a real solid use of time to drive all the way to the Practice Fields to watch ten minutes of stretching...

I asked Shane Elder Assistant Athletic Director for Football Operations he told me 40 mins to an hour and all you had to do was show up and sign in at the gate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Mean_Green09 said:

I asked Shane Elder Assistant Athletic Director for Football Operations he told me 40 mins to an hour and all you had to do was show up and sign in at the gate.

Then it would be nice if that was conveyed to the one beat writer that covers the team...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean_Green09 said:

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Then it would be nice if that was conveyed to the one beat writer that covers the team...

In Vito's defense it's clearly laid out in his article.

I think if Littrell wants to close up practice then that's his choice. Lots of colleges do it.

But the situation is very odd since during an earlier press conference I am almost certain he mentioned he would open up practice, and almost seemed like it was a weird notion not to.

I think what bugs the hell out of a whole bunch of folks is the line about "certain boosters" could be given exception.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

It is truely remarkable how this AD continues to make the same mistakes over and over.  That being said, there are some really good people that are doing a very nice job over in athletics....so I do applaud them for that.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

It is truely remarkable how this AD continues to make the same mistakes over and over.  That being said, there are some really good people that are doing a very nice job over in athletics....so I do applaud them for that in spite of the department administrator.

FIFY.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, medpilot21 said:

A few other Alums have already "transitioned" to Texas A&M and SMU, so I will now follow.   

Wait . . . SMU?!?  I have never heard of a North Texas alum cheering for SMU over UNT.  A&M?  Sure.  UT?  Of course.  But not SMU.  And if you're going to bandwagon, do it right.  SMU is comparably crappy to us, and that's saying something.  If you're gonna bandwagon, make sure it's Alabama or Ohio State or someone else who will actually win.  You'll both look and feel stupid if you "bandwagon" with a crap team.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Wait . . . SMU?!?  I have never heard of a North Texas alum cheering for SMU over UNT.  A&M?  Sure.  UT?  Of course.  But not SMU.  And if you're going to bandwagon, do it right.  SMU is comparably crappy to us, and that's saying something.  If you're gonna bandwagon, make sure it's Alabama or Ohio State or someone else who will actually win.  You'll both look and feel stupid if you "bandwagon" with a crap team.

Seriously. Since Apogee opened, I believe we have either won more games, or just as many as, SMU. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

B.S.  I will always follow UNT and never, ever A$M, SMU, or any other college except maybe Arkansas since my dad played there his freshman year.  RV is not bigger than the program and will not keep me from following my school, but what he has done is create an environment that I no longer want to give my hard earned dollars to until he is gone.  I will listen on the radio, come to at least homecoming, etc... but I will not renew my season tickets or MGC donation until we have a new AD.  I hate doing this, but it has come to this.

I don't really care if spring practices are closed to outside viewers, but this has all the signs of an RV decision especially when it says VIP's will be allow in to watch.  RV should follow the Tech model for spring practice.  They have one of their Saturday scrimmages in Midland every year to please the alumni in the Permian Basin and it is a big deal.  They've created an all day event with tailgating, meet the players, meet the staff, etc...  This is what should be occurring in Denton, but it won't under RV's watch because this is not capable of happening under his watch.

I fully support Littrell, Harrell and all the new coaches on staff, but will not be fully involved like I have in the past until a new AD is in place.

^ Agree 100%

• Upvote 6

Because of Littrell, his coaching staff, and the players I will continue my Mean Green Club donation and a couple of season tickets for this year.  However, this will be my last year unless there is a wholesale change in the Athletic Department.  I hope that Hank Dickinson is retained by the new staff but I haven't been impressed by the rest of the current staff (unless the fund raiser is responsible for at least some mega-donors).  

I appreciate the facilities that RV has been able to put in place during his tenure.  But, like everyone else, I believe that his revenue sports coaching hires record has been abysmal.  The poor performance in football and women's basketball and the mediocre record of men's basketball (despite some above average players) are losing fans at a rapid pace.  Something has to give.  

I have been a fan since I saw my first game almost 70 years ago and have seen more than 300 football games in person.  But, the only other time that I've felt this low was when we were forced to drop to 1-AA.  Change is definitely needed and this may be the only way to get the message through to President Smatresk.

• Upvote 7