UNT's Annual Fund Dollars - Athletics

Eagle1855

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, I wonder how much worse these numbers would be if there was not mandatory donations required for premium seating.

I wonder how much worse these numbers would be if the mandatory donations were comparable to the other Texas FBS schools.  There's a reason it only takes a $500 donation to sit between the 45s at Apogee - there isn't any demand.  Every year section 105 has gotten more and more empty.

And why isn't there any demand? Cue...

10 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Hey! Quit complaining you insolent serfs. Do YOU have RV on speed dial? Do YOU personally fund the ridiculous buy-outs to cover for RV's ineptitude regarding hiring? Do YOU sit in your Ivory Suite surveying a vast empty stadium? Do YOU? Well, Do YOU? If not then your opinion DOES NOT COUNT.

Now that is pure gold lMAO. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything while I was reading this because I would need a new keyboard now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On March 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM, flyonthewall said:

Let's see 4 donors gave 4.5 million this year to athletics.   So spin it how you want. This is just mean green club.   Subtract the minimum donation for a suite,  or your beloved "17" that you bash because we accept mediocrity,  and your mean green club money goes to 350,000.

And just illustrates the failures of this AD and the Mean Green Club leadership to properly manage and grow the MGC. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And just illustrates the failures of this AD and the Mean Green Club leadership to properly manage and grow the MGC. 

It will be spun as a failure of underlings. The usual suspects will soon start slamming whoever is running the MGC these days (like it isn't the direct responsibility of Rick Villarreal).

its what they do. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

That number will drop faster than attendance if last season continues. UNT is a big school and RV is a complete failure and a liar. He's all talk and doesn't follow through with most of his promises. The only thing worse than his job performance is his arrogance. If RV stays then UNT should go ahead and cancel athletics because they aren't even trying. And I say this as a 4 year Letterman. The athletic department is an embarrassment to a school I love.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

We really shouldn't even field a football team anymore. I'd be willing to bet that SFA and SHSU are both higher than we are on this list, as well.

Stick to music, fine arts, educating teachers, and having a decent business school. It's what the UNT Family loves and frankly it's all they want the leadership to focus on and hold them accountable to. Lee Jackson oversees a gigantic accounting scandal and not only does he keep his job, he gets EXTENDED. Smatresk comes here to clean this up, does nothing to fix athletics quagmire, gets EXTENDED. RV has watched over 5 years of pond scum level waste, and keeps his job, probably to receive an extension in the years ahead.

We don't care about sports here. Never have, never will.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

On 3/11/2016 at 3:00 PM, untjim1995 said:

We really shouldn't even field a football team anymore. I'd be willing to be that SFA and SHSU are both higher than we are on this list, as well.

Stick to music, fine arts, educating teachers, and having a decent business school. It's what the UNT Family loves and frankly it's all they want the leadership to focus on and hold them accountable to. Lee Jackson oversees a gigantic accounting scandal and not only does he keep his job, he gets EXTENDED. Smatresk comes here to clean this up, does nothing to fix athletics quagmire, gets EXTENDED. RV has watched over 5 years of pond scum level waste, and keeps his job, probably to receive an extension in the years ahead.

We don't care about sports here. Never have, never will.

1251 S. Bonnie Brae would still be a run down golf course if this were true.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1251 S. Bonnie Brae would still be a run down golf course if this were true.

Because we replaced a 60 year old decrepit toilet bowl of a stadium that needed multiple generators just to host a college football game? And that happened because the SGA President led the charge? To me, Apogee had to get built or football was done at this university within a decade. And its beautiful, from an aesthetic standpoint, as well as a financial standpoint, in that it is paid very handsomely by the students who go to school here via a sports fee. That fee, is well under what peers like UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar charge their student body for athletics, as allowed by the state. Plus, our fee is set to be sunsetted when APogee is paid for in the years ahead.

This isn't even counting wins/losses and personnel hirings/firings.

I'll stick with my opinion--we don't care about winning in revenue sports, never have, never will.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Because we replaced a 60 year old decrepit toilet bowl of a stadium that needed multiple generators just to host a college football game? And that happened because the SGA President led the charge? To me, Apogee had to get built or football was done at this university within a decade. And its beautiful, from an aesthetic standpoint, as well as a financial standpoint, in that it is paid very handsomely by the students who go to school here via a sports fee. That fee, is well under what peers like UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar charge their student body for athletics, as allowed by the state. Plus, our fee is set to be sunsetted when APogee is paid for in the years ahead.

I'll stick with my opinion--we don't care about winning in revenue sports, never have, never will.

Well said untjim1995.  The evidence to the contrary is quite minimal that you pointed out so clearly.  Let us travel back in time to 1995 when UNT stepped back up to FBS level football.  Let list the schools that are widely known as better than us that did not play FBS football in 1995 or even latest.

USF first season 2000 (before 1997 No football at all)

UCF first season 1996 (before that started Division 3 football 1979)

Boise State first season 1996 (had a lot of success all at FCS level before that)

Marshall first season 1997 (Nationally known program among majority of college football fans, movie and Randy Moss helped a TON)

Troy first season 2002 (not much more success than us since 2002 but 8-2 against us)

UTSA first season 2012 (2-1 against us)

FAU and FIU 2006 (we have losing records against both)

It is very difficult for me to find those football programs that would logically envy us that has played at the FBS level 20 years or more with 25k+ enrolled for that duration.  Given the resources of the school and the community around it UNT does far less with more resources than any other school I can think of that actually "cares" about football or winning.  So please spare me citing P5 run over schools that focus more on basketball (like Kansas, Iowa State, Duke and etc).  UNT has the resources and it those resources that dupe coaches with future aspirations to come here.  UNT is a beautiful looking hanger queen ( car from the outside that just need TLC and a tune up.  What you don't see is that the engineers and designers of the (lemon) vehicle spent all their time making the it look pretty and go around the track fast (usually just 2 or 3 times before a major breaking down).   Sound familiar?

• Downvote 2

15 hours ago, GTWT said:

I don't know, but I wonder if this list that has '90 & his minions all worked up is comparing apples with oranges?

If it doesn't have you worked up, I guess we could call you an RV minion.

Strike that. No guessing about it.

15 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Not to mention UNT's failure to protect the athletic fee when it went through the state senate. That was the ONLY roll UNT had in that fee, and they failed miserably. Most likely intentionally.

I think the BOR and administration were the most surprised group on campus when that fee was approved by the students. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If it doesn't have you worked up, I guess we could call you an RV minion.

Strike that. No guessing about it.

Actually, I'm not a strong supporter of RV.  He cost us what I think is our best coach since Hayden Fry - Coach Dickey.  I do think RV has been a big part of the improved infrastructure at UNT (Apogee et al.) & I think he should get credit where credit's due.  I don't think he'll be AD much longer, but I don't think it will be because of a bunch of loud mouths on GoMeanGreen.  It's nearly time for RV to move on.  When he does we should thank him for his efforts on behalf of our university, and then find someone who can take us from here.

That was the ONLY roll UNT had in that fee, and they failed miserably. Most likely intentionally.

Unless you have something other than conjecture to back up this statement, it's an inappropriate thing to write.

Also, I wonder if by 'roll' you meant 'role'?

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

53 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Actually, I'm not a strong supporter of RV.  He cost us what I think is our best coach since Hayden Fry - Coach Dickey.  I do think RV has been a big part of the improved infrastructure at UNT (Apogee et al.) & I think he should get credit where credit's due.  I don't think he'll be AD much longer, but I don't think it will be because of a bunch of loud mouths on GoMeanGreen.  It's nearly time for RV to move on.  When he does we should thank him for his efforts on behalf of our university, and then find someone who can take us from here.

Unless you have something other than conjecture to back up this statement, it's an inappropriate thing to write.

Also, I wonder if by 'roll' you meant 'role'?

I'm glad after 15 years, one good hire made 14 years ago, a record in major sports of over 50 games under .500, constant lying when confronted about his failures, 10 losing seasons of the last 11 in THE major sport in this state, I'm glad you think it's NEARLY time for home to go. You definitely have UNT standards.

You would think a grammar nazi concerned about the spelling of role would have higher standards for his university's major athletic programs. 

As to the UNT administration's involvement other than staying the F out the way, unless you have something other than conjecture to back up this statement, it's an inappropriate thing to write.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

It's not really grammar, '90 - you used the wrong word.  As for the quote below, What in the heck are you trying to say?

As to the UNT administration's involvement other than staying the F out the way, unless

you have something other than conjecture to back up this statement, it's an inappropriate thing to write.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I'm glad after 15 years, one good hire made 14 years ago, a record in major sports of over 50 games under .500, constant lying when confronted about his failures, 10 losing seasons of the last 11 in THE major sport in this state, I'm glad you think it's NEARLY time for home to go. You definitely have UNT standards.

You know, when you think about this, it is really MUCH worse than that. Imagine if football had more games to play in a season than basketball has had, or vice-versa, what would that percentage look like? That's why I always look at RV's overall winning percentage in those three sports in his time here. BTW, when you combine 15 years of football and both basketball teams, you get football at 65-118 (.355), mens basketball at 244-219 (.527), and womens hoops at 179-266 (.402), you get a whopping .447 percentage.

In the last five years, we are 23-38 in football (.377),  54-99 in womens hoops (.353), and 72-87 in mens hoops (.453). Rv's "visionary" leadership and fleecing has led us to a stellar record and winning percentage of 149-373 (.399).

Who wouldn't deserve to keep their job when their main products and services were successful at less than a 40% clip after 5 years? I mean its college sports we are talking about, so there's no way that anyone connected to that kind of losing would even get 5 years, right? Wait, the AD over this pile of dogcrap has been here for 15 years?

Embarrassing. And if you aren't embarrassed by it, you should be.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

For those of you who buy stuff at amazon.com, have you tried smile.amazon.com?   It allows you to designate a charitable organization that will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.  Perhaps Athletics can get on the list of organizations to donate to.  They are not listed yet, so I've selected The University of North Texas Foundation as my organization.  Every little bit helps, I guess.

University Of North Texas Foundation
Mission: We match donor's desires to support students, teachers, research and facilities by accepting all sorts of gifts and gift arrangements that ultimately create and expand permanent endowments and other funds.

AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support.
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, keith said:

For those of you who buy stuff at amazon.com, have you tried smile.amazon.com?   It allows you to designate a charitable organization that will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.  Perhaps Athletics can get on the list of organizations to donate to.  They are not listed yet, so I've selected The University of North Texas Foundation as my organization.  Every little bit helps, I guess.

University Of North Texas Foundation
Mission: We match donor's desires to support students, teachers, research and facilities by accepting all sorts of gifts and gift arrangements that ultimately create and expand permanent endowments and other funds.

AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support.

Oh nice! I never knew about that.