Rice (1/30/16)

CMJ

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Changing coaches asap is not about saving this season. It is about getting a new guy in asap so he has a staff ready to go in terms of recruiting and is not behind the 8-ball in recruiting for next season and has time to try to convince some of the better current players to stay.

I doubt we'd announce a new coach until after all the post-season (NCAA/NIT/etc) tournaments are over.  Firing him now wouldn't get us out in front of the pack.

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Changing coaches asap is not about saving this season. It is about getting a new guy in asap so he has a staff ready to go in terms of recruiting and is not behind the 8-ball in recruiting for next season and has time to try to convince some of the better current players to stay.

I'm not sure we can bring in a new guy who will be our long term coach going forwar at this point. Unless he comes up from within. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It cannot hurt. Putting in Chico didn't hurt. Was he successful? No, but it was a change and sent a message. Now would be a good time for that message. 5 game skid and losing to the worst team in our conference is not inspiring. I still won't miss a game regardless, but I do think a choaching change couldn't make us any worse.

Worst team in the CUSA is the 2-18 0-9 Florida International Panthers.

EDIT: Oops, that is for the Women.

UTSA is 4-18 2-7.  They are the worst Men's team in CUSA.  Thankfully we don't play them again. I'm not sure we could manage a sweep.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm not sure we can bring in a new guy who will be our long term coach going forwar at this point. Unless he comes up from within. 

Well, we will not have the new guy for this season and would likely not announce him before the post season is over for whatever team he'd be employed at right now. But we could talk behind the scenes and be ready to announce the moment his season ends. At the speed our AD works, it is unlikely they'd be ready quick enough if they only start looking after the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1

If Rick Villarreal is allowed to hire a new men's basketball coach, even more supporters will abandoned this colossal mess that some call UNT athletics. Probably never to be heard from again. 

But UNT really doesn't care about that, anyway, and the big donors will confirm that a personal relationship and access are far more important to them than a successful athletic program. 

And people wonder why so many alumni laugh at UNT athletics. I used to correct them when they did that, now I just acknowledge they are right and shake my head in amazement at how little UNT cares about athletics or keeping alumni connected. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If Rick Villarreal is allowed to hire a new men's basketball coach, even more supporters will abandoned this colossal mess that some call UNT athletics. Probably never to be heard from again. 

But UNT really doesn't care about that, anyway, and the big donors will confirm that a personal relationship and access are far more important to them than a successful athletic program. 

And people wonder why so many alumni laugh at UNT athletics. I used to correct them when they did that, now I just acknowledge they are right and shake my head in amazement at how little UNT cares about athletics or keeping alumni connected. 

And yet here you are posting away.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

So I went to the Rice game with three other alums.  We started the night at the Alumni Association event and had a nice time.  I wish there was more people in attendance but that is what losing does.  Still a decent turnout and enjoyed talking with everyone.  As for the game it appeared to me we have some very good players.  They just can’t seem to gel and of course you have to lay that at Benford’s feet.  He really seems to micro-manage the game.  Often I found myself thinking ‘just let them play’. I think the right coach with these players and this team can have an instant turnaround.  Maybe there is some hope for the future. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

And yet here you are posting away.  

Hanging on by a thread. Yet I'm sure your crowd can't wait for the day that I, like so many before me, simply throw in the towel on a sunk cost and walk away. That way the same 100 people can all get together and talk UNT losing sports. 

Just a small little club team masquerading as an FBS program.

Just the way y'all like it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

On 1/30/2016 at 11:50 AM, KRAM1 said:

You going to the UNT Alumni/Advancement event and then the game itself tonight in Houston?

3 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

So I went to the Rice game with three other alums.  We started the night at the Alumni Association event and had a nice time.  I wish there was more people in attendance but that is what losing does.  Still a decent turnout and enjoyed talking with everyone.  As for the game it appeared to me we have some very good players.  They just can’t seem to gel and of course you have to lay that at Benford’s feet.  He really seems to micro-manage the game.  Often I found myself thinking ‘just let them play’. I think the right coach with these players and this team can have an instant turnaround.  Maybe there is some hope for the future. 

@KRAM1, @Houston Eagle - WHAT Alumni Association event?  In Houston?  If so, why did I, a life member, not get any notification of it???  I certainly would have been there.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Stix said:

@KRAM1, @Houston Eagle - WHAT Alumni Association event?  In Houston?  If so, why did I, a life member, not get any notification of it???  I certainly would have been there.

I have no clue.  I saw multiple notices of it on Facebook, Twitter, Mean Green Club emails, Alumni email, etc.. I am sorry you did not know about it.  All I could suggest now is to make sure your contact info is updated with both the Alumni Association and the Mean Green Club.  If you are on Facebook make sure you are "friends" with both the Mean Green Club and the Alumni Association, and if you are on Twitter, be sure and follow the Mean Green Club,  UNT Advancement and the Alumni Association.  Social media seems to the "way" communication is going these days in so many areas of our lives.  So much so that this old dog had to sign up with Twitter recently just to be able to stay in the loop with several areas of my life.  Had tried in vain to ignore both Facebook and Twitter for years, but alas I had to "get with it" if I did not want to miss stuff that was important to me.  I would bet I received at least 20-30 tweets and re-tweets about this vey event in Houston.

No, I don't do Facebook, and while I have been thinking about setting up a twitter account just "to listen", it has not been high on my priority list.  But my email address has not changed in years, and I do get the Alumni Association newsletter to my email address, and I don't see that there was anything about it on the "Calendar of Events": http://untalumni.olhblogspot.com/2016/01/14/calendar-of-events-60/.  So why was there no specific email (to me) about this event?  No, @KRAM1, don't bother answering; I know you wouldn't know.  I will send an email or call the Alumni Association to inquire.

But it feels again like this is part of the "if you build it, they will come" mindframe that is prevalent at NT.  There isn't enough effort to make sure those who should be informed are informed.  I will check with my friend here in Sugar Land, who was out of town for the weekend, but he would have mentioned it to me if he had been informed of an Alumni event.

I am aware of the Wingspan Gala on April 15th (or is it the 16th?) due to an email from the university, and the Spring Game on April 23rd because of a thread on GMG.  I don't see either on the university website's calendar: http://calendar.unt.edu/event-calendar.

The frustrating thing living outside of the DFW area is I have to pick and choose when I am able/willing to devote an entire weekend to a trip to Denton; it isn't possible to go to an event just for a few hours, and I have the added costs of gas & a hotel room that those living in the area don't have.

Edit - and there's nothing on meangreensports.com about the Spring Game yet.

Edited by Stix
add more
  • Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, Stix said:

No, I don't do Facebook, and while I have been thinking about setting up a twitter account just "to listen", it has not been high on my priority list.  But my email address has not changed in years, and I do get the Alumni Association newsletter to my email address, and I don't see that there was anything about it on the "Calendar of Events": http://untalumni.olhblogspot.com/2016/01/14/calendar-of-events-60/.  So why was there no specific email (to me) about this event?  No, @KRAM1, don't bother answering; I know you wouldn't know.  I will send an email or call the Alumni Association to inquire.

But it feels again like this is part of the "if you build it, they will come" mindframe that is prevalent at NT.  There isn't enough effort to make sure those who should be informed are informed.  I will check with my friend here in Sugar Land, who was out of town for the weekend, but he would have mentioned it to me if he had been informed of an Alumni event.

I am aware of the Wingspan Gala on April 15th (or is it the 16th?) due to an email from the university, and the Spring Game on April 23rd because of a thread on GMG.  I don't see either on the university website's calendar: http://calendar.unt.edu/event-calendar.

The frustrating thing living outside of the DFW area is I have to pick and choose when I am able/willing to devote an entire weekend to a trip to Denton; it isn't possible to go to an event just for a few hours, and I have the added costs of gas & a hotel room that those living in the area don't have.

Like KRAM said, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure YOU know what is going on with UNT athletics. How can you ever expect them to perform at a Sun Belt competent level? 

Lol.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Like KRAM said, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure YOU know what is going on with UNT athletics. How can you ever expect them to perform at a Sun Belt competent level? 

Lol.

Really a stretch here...where did I say it was his responsibility?  I suggested what I thought might be possibilities.  I guess even trying to help is a reason for you spin what someone else says to fit your ever so negative agenda.   You are really a barrel of joy these days, aren't you?  I am beginning to think you might need professional help.  It just isn't the end of the world you know.  If this stuff clouds your entire life in such negativity you might just want to think about your priorities a bit.  Maybe take a break and figure out what is really important in your life.  Right now, you seem to just be beating a dead horse over and over in a vain attempt for attention.

With you it is never enough.  I am sorry you have made the decision to see everything in such a negative perspective.  I hope you can find something you can be positive about again one of these days.  

4 hours ago, Stix said:

Sorry STIX...just trying to help.  My bad I guess.

And, you do know about the spring game, right?  April 23rd at 2pm.  Again, sorry...just trying to help.

• Downvote 5

We have ten regular season games to go and at least one CUSA Tourney game left. We are 7-14 now. I figure that three more losses would ensure a losing season and Benford will get the axe, Dodge-style in midseason once a winning season becomes mathematically impossible (unless you won like 4 games in the CUSA Tourney). I suspect he will be gone by Valentine's Day. 

Cannot wait to see who we hire to be our next coach...both from an excitement standpoint, as well as a RV-really-hired-this-guy? standpoint...

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

We have ten regular season games to go and at least one CUSA Tourney game left. We are 7-14 now. I figure that three more losses would ensure a losing season and Benford will get the axe, Dodge-style in midseason once a winning season becomes mathematically impossible (unless you won like 4 games in the CUSA Tourney). I suspect he will be gone by Valentine's Day. 

Lose two more games and barring a run in the conference tournament a losing season is all but guaranteed.

I hope people aren't betting their life savings on Benford being fired before the end of the season.  Mid-season firings in basketball are not common unlike football.

• Upvote 1

I have March 7 in the "Benford Hasta Luego Lottery". That is the day before the Conference Tournament, I think, and I chose that date on the assumption that we wouldn't make the tournament. If every team, no matter how bad, makes the tournament then I made a strategic error. I thought that not all teams in previous years made the tournament.