MGB Friday football notes

Brett Vito

Just now, Eagle-96 said:

I'm saying it's boring because he's not telling us things we don't already know. 

Starkel to A&M and we had very little chance. Check

We don't have a DL coach yet. Check

Other CUSA schools are getting commits that we only dream of. Check

High School athletes considered UNT a joke up until 2 months ago. Check

BTW: I have never been, and never will be, ashamed of having a degree from UNT.  NEVER. And I know you aren't either.

Check.

But what people are ashamed of is not the degree itself, it's the culture (or lack thereof) associated with it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Nope.  
Didn't care for the Southlake player's comment.  I guess it helps make his point here, but it transcends UNT Athletics into disparaging the University as a whole.

Agree.  It's not a "great quote," and only one who thoroughly loathes the University of North Texas (cue Cougar Queen and Froggy Style) would think it is.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Boring? really?  How many times do we need to be told that our CULTURE SUCKS before everyone wakes up and starts listening. That Southlake player is a perfect example of what this crazy old man has been ranting about for years. He would rather go to A$M, walk on, and pay his own way than get a ship and a diploma from North Texas. WHY? 

BECAUSE (SPORTS ASIDE) A$M HAS A CULTURE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE WANT TO BE PART OF AND ASSOCIATED WITH. 

NORTH TEXAS HAS NO DISCERNIBLE CULTURE......SPORTS OR OTHERWISE.

WE ARE AN UNORGANIZED, UNATTACHED COLLECTION OF WOULD BE FANS WHO ARE OFTEN TIMES ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT THEY ARE NORTH TEXAS GRADUATES. 

WHAT HISTORY AND TRADITIONS WE MIGHT HAVE ARE FORGOTTEN, TOSSED ASIDE ON A WHIM, OR MISREPRESENTED BY HIRED INTERLOPERS. 

MOST OF THE TIME WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY.

YOU are just disgruntled and angry.

YOU are the problem. 

Leave us 30 or so only to enjoy our mean green in empty facilities, please. 

16 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I'm saying it's boring because he's not telling us things we don't already know. 

Starkel to A&M and we had very little chance. Check

We don't have a DL coach yet. Check

Other CUSA schools are getting commits that we only dream of. Check

High School athletes considered UNT a joke up until 2 months ago. Check

BTW: I have never been, and never will be, ashamed of having a degree from UNT.  NEVER. And I know you aren't either.

A school that assassinated its own football program a little over a year ago just got a commitment from a player rated higher than any of our high school recruits. Ever.

Like throughout the history of this program. 

Thats... Awesome?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I have officially had it with vito's version of covering north texas athletics.  

These comments when each and every recruit decides to go elsewhere are completely unnecessary.  If vito wants to take every chance to kick us in the nuts by publishing negative commentary by people....  go cover somebody else.  

This starkel story could have been summed up by saying he chose aTm, so it is time for the coaching staff to look elsewhere...  maybe even focusing on alternative qb recruits for littrell and company to turn their attention towards. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, SHOSS said:

I have officially had it with vito's version of covering north texas athletics.  

These comments when each and every recruit decides to go elsewhere are completely unnecessary.  If vito wants to take every chance to kick us in the nuts by publishing negative commentary by people....  go cover somebody else.  

This starkel story could have been summed up by saying he chose aTm, so it is time for the coaching staff to look elsewhere...  maybe even focusing on alternative qb recruits for littrell and company to turn their attention towards. 

He doesn't publish these comments from recruits all the time. Actually this is the first time that I can remember actually reading about a potential recruit's thoughts about our University. I'd like to hear more, when a recruit says "no thanks". 

Personally I think we need to be reminded of the situation from time to time, We spend too much time blaming someone else for our unattractiveness  as a program. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

He doesn't publish these comments from recruits all the time. Actually this is the first time that I can remember actually reading about a potential recruit's thoughts about our University. I'd like to hear more, when a recruit says "no thanks". 

Personally I think we need to be reminded of the situation from time to time, We spend too much time blaming someone else for our unattractiveness  as a program. 

This wasn't a recent comment.  I don't actually recall Vito publishing the comment before, but it must have been Derek Tomlin--class of 2007.  So Vito is resuscitating a 9-year-old quote to take a swipe at the university.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

He doesn't publish these comments from recruits all the time. Actually this is the first time that I can remember actually reading about a potential recruit's thoughts about our University. 

I respectfully disagree.  My alma mater's football program recent record is enough of a reminder of where things stand and i do not need remindefs of this.  Quoting a kid from southlake adds zero value when the direction of the story could be taken many different ways...  none of which includes things like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

I also don't recall that story.

GO MEAN GREEN

I don't either. But I fully believe that there are at least dozens (if not more) of similar situations, both before and after 2007(if that truly is where the quote came from). But all the others were either not directly asked why they were passing up the opportunity to play at North Texas or they were just polite enough to not tell us that our program and/or culture sucked. 

• Upvote 1