St. Patrick's Day Lower Greenville - Saturday March 19th

NTAlum09

3 hours ago, gangrene said:

This is such as dumb annual debate.  I take my kids to the parade just about every year and I, like others, wear Mean Green attire.  I always hear a few "GO MEAN GREEN" yells.  It just makes too much sense for UNT to have a float in this parade for it to ever become a reality.  I mean everyone knows Notre Dame OWNS that parade, in DALLAS.

And I disagree with the idea that putting Scrappy in the back of a truck (a green truck) with a few cheerleaders throwing out mini UNT footballs or green/white beads wouldn't accomplish our goal of having a successful presence at the parade.  In fact, I thinks that's basically what the Notre Dame "float" is - I really can't remember anything other than the fact they were represented.

This isn't the Rose Bowl parade - no one spends thousands of dollars and man hours building out a float every year.

I agree as well. I went to the Shops of Legacy one night with my North Texas Hat (Which I get alot of compliments on) and my North Texas polo and had several people saying "Go Mean Green" Heck if we could get some Mean Green Flags and pick out a reserve spot on Lower Greenville to represent our University I'm fine with that.

Edited by NTAlum09

I nominate greenjoe, gangrene, Ben Gooding and 97and03 to form a committee and head up the effort to get UNT a float in the Greenville Avenue Parade.  You guys shouldn't have to do much work and it shouldn't take much time, right? Just let me know when and where the committee meets so I can volunteer to help you guys. Happy to help, but can't head it up and will be out of the country on St Paddy's Day parade date, so can't be much help on "game day", but can help before that time.

I'll wait for the call, text or email letting me know who will be chairing the committee and whe rebounds/when the first meeting will be.   We better hurry as it is getting a tad late to get the application in with the required fees and decide what level of float and how that float will be acquired.  Who will be our fearless leader here?  Greenjoe? Gangrene? Ben Gooding?  97and03?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I nominate greenjoe, gangrene, Ben Gooding and 97and03 to form a committee and head up the effort to get UNT a float in the Greenville Avenue Parade.  You guys shouldn't have to do much work and it shouldn't take much time, right? Just let me know when and where the committee meets so I can volunteer to help you guys. Happy to help, but can't head it up and will be out of the country on St Paddy's Day parade date, so can't be much help on "game day", but can help before that time.

I'll wait for the call, text or email letting me know who will be chairing the committee and whe rebounds/when the first meeting will be.   We better hurry as it is getting a tad late to get the application in with the required fees and decide what level of float and how that float will be acquired.  Who will be our fearless leader here?  Greenjoe? Gangrene? Ben Gooding?  97and03?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

?

OK, so Ben was all good as long as someone else did the work and spent the cash. Check.  Got it.

Hopefully, one of the others thinking this is a great idea will step up to lead.  Just PM me with the meeting details and I'll be there.  Who else will join me and volunteer to help the committee chairman make this happen?  We just need one of those guys championing this idea to step up and volunteer to lead.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

OK, so Ben was all good as long as someone else did the work and spent the cash. Check.  Got it.

Hopefully, one of the others thinking this is a great idea will step up to lead.  Just PM me with the meeting details and I'll be there.  Who else will join me and volunteer to help the committee chairman make this happen?  We just need one of those guys championing this idea to step up and volunteer to lead.

Why and how is this our job again, Mark? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Why and how is this our job again, Mark? 

Well, Ben, it isn't.  But, neither is it the responsibility for others to do things other people think they should when those other people are not willing to step up and help.  Nor is it the responsibility of any department within the University just because someone thinks it is a good idea for them to expend resources on.  But, seems lots of folks here think someone else should do this...just checking to see if some of those folks might be willing to step up and help bring their great idea to fruition.

I find this all the time in the several volunteer areas where I participate.  There are always those folks who want to tell us what and how to do things, but when we invite them to actually volunteer to help do what they want us to do that they often are never heard from again.  Lots of talk...no action.  You know...all hat no cattle.

I will reiterate again...I am willing to help as a volunteer...just don't have the time to head this one up.

My parents told me to not tell other people what to do unless I am willing to help make that happen. Seems appropriate here as well.  I am willing to help.  Who else is?  Maybe NTAlum09 will step up to head this project.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Well, Ben, it isn't.  But, neither is it the responsibility for others to do things other people think they should when those other people are not willing to step up and help.  Nor is it the responsibility of any department within the University just because someone thinks it is a good idea for them to expend resources on.  But, seems lots of folks here think someone else should do this...just checking to see if some of those folks might be willing to step up and help bring their great idea to fruition.

I find this all the time in the several volunteer areas where I participate.  There are always those folks who want to tell us what and how to do things, but when we invite them to actually volunteer to help do what they want us to do that they often are never heard from again.  Lots of talk...no action.  You know...all hat no cattle.

I will reiterate again...I am willing to help as a volunteer...just don't have the time to head this one up.

My parents told me to not tell other people what to do unless I am willing to help make that happen. Seems appropriate here as well.  I am willing to help.  Who else is?  Maybe NTAlum09 will step up to head this project.

Good thing for me, I don't own a cowboy hat or a cow. It's the universities job to expand their own brand. They do a bad job at it. This is an affordable way of doing it to a solid amount of people. That is all. 

• Downvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Good thing for me, I don't own a cowboy hat or a cow. It's the universities job to expand their own brand. They do a bad job at it. This is an affordable way of doing it to a solid amount of people. That is all. 

Where many in attendance will not remember it at all....see earlier post from an attendee.  It is not the University's job to expend resources where you, me or anyone else think they should in order to expand the brand.  They get to decide that...personally, I think The New University in Frisco is doing a pretty good job of expanding the brand in Collin County.  Resources much better spent than on a parade float in my opinion.  If you really want to expand the brand that is...but, that is just my opinion.  You are definitely welcome to yours.  You reconsidering helping to expand the brand by heading up the St. patty's Day Parade Committee?  I'll be a good worker bee under your command and won't tell you what you should do even though I am actually volunteering to help.  What ya say?

• Downvote 7

Happy to give money and whatever I can do by email 7 time zones away, smartass.  But this parade thing is such a no-brainer.  The Alumni Association should really be the one coordinating, with an assist from the AD's office.  Where do our alumni live? Well the HOD Bowl seemed to indicate Dallas? AMIRITE?

Having a small float or double decker bus all "greened out" with alumni, a few coaches/players, and cheerleaders and/or dancers really would not be the most difficult or expensive thing to organize. Throw out beads, a few mini footballs with a schedule. The Alumni Association could even have a fundraiser to pay for it. Seems like if we can raise money for a banner in a few days (or several banners) then we could do so for a bus or something as well.

So sure, if I lived in DFW (or even perhaps in the US or the North American continent) I would be happy to organize something. But I or anyone else should not have to.

5 hours ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

So people use second-rate holiday parades to enrich their knowledge of universities. Who knew?

Here is the deal.  The last time I went, I do remember thinking that I saw groups from several universities including ATM and OU.  But my biggest takeaway was that I remember thinking "why all these other universities and not the one that is actually F'ing GREEN!"

And then I remember thinking, "Typical."  Which is probably what other alumni think too and why it keeps coming up.

• Upvote 1

Who owns the "Mean Green Tailgating Machine"?  I'm fairly sure he posts on here.   
Slap some UNT flags all over, put Scrappy in the drivers seat of that bus, or dancing around on the roof, and have the radio blasting the fight song over & over... and there's your UNT St. Patty's day float.   All it would cost is time, gas & an entry fee.
That is, if the owner is cool with that.

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Here is the deal.  The last time I went, I do remember thinking that I saw groups from several universities including ATM and OU.  But my biggest takeaway was that I remember thinking "why all these other universities and not the one that is actually F'ing GREEN!"

And then I remember thinking, "Typical."  Which is probably what other alumni think too and why it keeps coming up.

Really? Because we're green we should be in a parade? Did I miss the thread for the MLK parade a few weeks back...we do have african american students. Or the thread for the 4th of July parade in Granbury...we are in America after all.

It's a parade. Nobody cares.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

Really? Because we're green we should be in a parade? Did I miss the thread for the MLK parade a few weeks back...we do have african american students. Or the thread for the 4th of July parade in Granbury...we are in America after all.

It's a parade. Nobody cares.

and in truth the Irish flag is only 1/3 green. 1/3 of it is orange, so maybe we should see if UT would want to split the parade with us...we could just do it 50/50 since the other 1/3 of the Irish flag is already over-represented at a St. Patrick's Day parade...

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I missed my friend KRAM's challenge to put together a Mean Green entry in what should be a North Texas owned parade.  There are several items I'd like to mention in random order.

North Texas should be in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. 

I do not believe that every person that watches the parade is drunk or so drunk that they can't remember who was in the parade.

Not every person involved with North Texas athletics leaves the state during spring break.  How many times have we been told that cheerleaders cannot make all the basketball games because they have to work.  Those same cheerleaders are working during spring break, therefore, still in the DFW area. 

Parades are easy.  Follow the entry in front and don't run into them.

The Greenville Avenue people that put this thing on charge a lot to enter.  AS I recall, the cost is $500-$1,200 per entry based on who the entry is (ie commercial, not-for-profit, school, etc).  This is why getting the University on board is so important.  It's just cheaper for the University to enter than you or me.

The Greenville Ass'n. requires a ton of insurance to enter.  Again, a good reason for the University to be the signer on an entry.

I would be pleased to ramrod this thing, but as many of you know, I don't know how to spell internett or worldd widde webbb.  But I do have some organizational skills.

The time to begin thinking about a St. Patrick's Day Parade is not the week of St. Patrick's Day.

Lastly, North Texas should be in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

GO MEAN GREEN

I do not want to see a "Mean Green"  float or any UNT participation in any of the St Patrick's Day parades.

The parade is of no value to the University of North Texas, and no value to any of our athletic teams.

The parade is for the city of Dallas and now for Mark Cuban and the Mavs. People come to see the stupid stuff the parade generates. Nothing else.

Heck, even the phonies of $MU do not involve their school in any St Patrick's day parade. The parade ends at Greenville and $MU Blvd for crying out loud!

I have lived in the lower Greenville area for 3 years now. I have watched 3 parades. The parades are all the same. Some of the stuff that goes on during

the parade is embarrassing to watch. 

I do not want my school associated with the St Patrick's Day Parade and the big drunk party the parade has evolved into.

I am not saying not to go to the parade. There is a ton of funny stuff to see., like the drunk floozies trying to be somebody,

I will watch some of the parade again just to see the people, and all the weird stuff going on. Then I will leave.

It is like driving down the road when you come up on a bad car wreck. You do not want to look at the wreck, but you look anyway..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Please don't use CAW CAW.  Eagles don't CAW!

You'll probably not like the University sponsored billboards that read: "Find your Cawws at UNT"

I may not have that exact but thats the gist and they did use CAW to spell "cause" 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Do you have data on the ROI for such an activity for Universities?  I think it is a great idea myself, but as a businessman, I cannot jump on every "great idea" without the data to back it up.  You have to have solid reason's to spend money.  I want UNT to market better as well, but in the right places.  I have never been to the St. Patty Parade in Dallas....so how will that reach me?