R.I.P. Eagle

DeepGreen

I'm saddened by the loss.

I do believe that I am uniquely qualified to respond on the other listed topics.

I attended a dinner at the Gateway Center that was Dr Pohl's way to recognize outstanding alumnus Don Henley and raise awareness of the Caddo Lake Institute. Dr Pohl joked at the podium that he was thankful that Don named the band after his college mascot. My Bride thought Dr Pohl as serious and asked Don afterwards at the meet and greet. I initially cringed when she asked it, but Don explained that the band was not specifically named after North Texas, but they had gone through several animal suggestions, and they thought Eagles sounded iconically American, and then Don added that he'd already identified with that moniker from his college days so he was all for it.

s04index.jpg

As for the Ford Mustang being named after the SMU team after the SMU - Michigan game of September 28, 1963. Total bunk. That story was Hayden Fry playing a Jedi mind trick on weak minded SMU fans. Mustang was the name for several Ford project cars starting in 1961.The Ford Mustang coupe prototype was already on display at the Purdue University Union in September, and the convertible prototype was unveiled weeks later at the US Grand Prix.

21_S-6722-001_Ford_Mustang.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I'm saddened by the loss.

I do believe that I am uniquely qualified to respond on the other listed topics.

I attended a dinner at the Gateway Center that was Dr Pohl's way to recognize outstanding alumnus Don Henley and raise awareness of the Caddo Lake Institute. Dr Pohl joked at the podium that he was thankful that Don named the band after his college mascot. My Bride thought Dr Pohl as serious and asked Don afterwards at the meet and greet. I initially cringed when she asked it, but Don explained that the band was not specifically named after North Texas, but they had gone through several animal suggestions, and they thought Eagles sounded iconically American, and then Don added that he'd already identified with that moniker from his college days so he was all for it.

s04index.jpg

As for the Ford Mustang being named after the SMU team after the SMU - Michigan game of September 28, 1963. Total bunk. That story was Hayden Fry playing a Jedi mind trick on weak minded SMU fans. Mustang was the name for several Ford project cars starting in 1961.The Ford Mustang coupe prototype was already on display at the Purdue University Union in September, and the convertible prototype was unveiled weeks later at the US Grand Prix.

21_S-6722-001_Ford_Mustang.jpg

Thank you for sharing that story. I bet he also doesn't want to tell the real story most the time. Apparently they were camping and searching for...uh... Artistic inspiration. Glenn said they saw an Eagle and it inspired them. Maybe it was his UNT eagle following him and providing him inspiration :) 

Why Don Henley hasn't performed as a musician at NT is beyond me.  I hope he's been asked.

I've told this story before but I like telling it.

When I was in high school, I played in a rock band.  One of our members had a brother that attended North Texas STATE.  At the time, there was a band based out of North Texas called Felicity.  It featured a key board player who could play keys and trumpet at the same time named Jerry.  The band was built around this talented player.  The drummer for said band was Don Henley.   We, the rock band, went to visit our band mate's brother at his apartment in what is now known as cement city.  For whatever reason, Don Henley was at band mate's apartment and we visited.  Now I'd heard drummers before but I'd never seen a keyboard player play a trumpet, so my attention was more on Jerry the keyboard/trumpet player than on Don Henley.  Big mistake.  Jerry the keyboard player was killed in a motorcycle accident and I never visited with Don Henley one on one again.

Just one of a number of mistakes.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

We all make mistakes.  During my first freshman year semester at North Texas State, I joined the NT Folk Music Club.  One of the more talented members of the club was Michael Murphy, aka Michael Martin Murphy.  The guy could sing and pick a guitar, thats for sure.  I may have attended one or two more of the monthly sessions but my interest in the club fizzeled.  Would have been nice to know Murphy on a personal basis.  I'm not sure how long he attended NT.  I don't think it shows up on his wikipedia page as having even attended NT.

Opportunity lost for DeepGreen.

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

We all make mistakes.  During my first freshman year semester at North Texas State, I joined the NT Folk Music Club.  One of the more talented members of the club was Michael Murphy, aka Michael Martin Murphy.  The guy could sing and pick a guitar, thats for sure.  I may have attended one or two more of the monthly sessions but my interest in the club fizzeled.  Would have been nice to know Murphy on a personal basis.  I'm not sure how long he attended NT.  I don't think it shows up on his wikipedia page as having even attended NT.

Opportunity lost for DeepGreen.?

Michael Murphy was also on the NT debate team. The coach at the time used to talk about him playing guitar in the evenings after the debate tournaments wrapped up. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, DeepGreen said:

Opportunity lost for DeepGreen.?

I dated a girl in the 80's that loved Michael Martin Murphy's music. We had scheduled a weekend at the Kerrville Music Festival only to discover that he'd cancelled due to a scheduling conflict. I took her to skiing at Red River, NM because Michael Martin Murphy owned a dinner theater there (Crystal River) and I made reservations for a night when he'd be performing. He stopped by each table after the show and spent a few minutes with each. He asked us to stay later so that he could spend a little time visiting with some other North Texas folk. It was fun because he did most of the talking, reminiscing about his time at North Texas and about how Denton had changed with a new mall and everything.

We went to see him perform a couple years later when he had a concert at TWU. He was signing albums after the concert, pointed at us when we came though the line and said "Wait, don't tell me. Ya'll came to the restaurant in Red River", and then he stated our names. I was shocked then and still find it unbelievable some 30 years later. 

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1