UTSA's next head coach will be..............Frank Wilson (LSU)

Harry

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't see the home run here that so many NutsaCK supporters are proclaiming. Sure he's a good recruiter, but he doesn't have any experience outside of high school(I believe he was a New Orleans HS coach for a while) as a HC or coordinator. Couple that with the massive difference in recruiting NutsaCK vs recruiting SEC schools, this seems more like a slow blooper to short than a home run. 

I know you and others may not believe this, but college football fans tend to overrate every new coach that is hired to lead the program for which they are a fan...

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Wrong again. We got an OC they got a position coach! Big difference, but you know that! 

I think you need to reread the post I was quoting. All it said was an SEC assistant is going to be as successful recruiting to Craphole. The exact same thing can be said for Littrell.

But you knew that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Using this logic Bruce Chambers would have been a slam dunk hire.. 

Then you wouldn't be using my logic at all, because I said nothing about it making him a good hire.  I just pointed out that being at a really good place, in the same position, for a few years isn't necessarily a problem.  You were using an irrelevant metric to jump to a conclusion; then, when I pointed out its irrelevance, you assumed that I was using your same metric to jump to the opposite conclusion.  That is absolutely not the case. Perhaps I didn't appropriately clarify that that is what I was getting at, but I believe I've now done so.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 1

It's an ok hire. They got a position coach from a Power 5 school. To look at RowdyTalk you would think they just hired Urban Meyer as head coach with Nick Saban as DC and Chip Kelly as OC. They're talking about the rest of CUSA shitting their pants 'cause were so overwhelmed by the hire. I'm just whelmed by it. Read the threads over there. Every time a coach that emerged as a front-runner it was all sunshine and lollipops. It was like they were convincing themselves that THIS was a great hire. If they had hired Chico they would have convinced themselves that he was the the greatest hire since Steve Spurrier. Wilson is a decent hire. He won't be able to sell recruits on playing for a National Title. He won't be able to sell recruits on playing in the NFL. He pretty much had the entire state of Louisiana to himself. That will not be the case at nUTSAck. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

It's an ok hire. They got a position coach from a Power 5 school. To look at RowdyTalk you would think they just hired Urban Meyer as head coach with Nick Saban as DC and Chip Kelly as OC. They're talking about the rest of CUSA shitting their pants 'cause were so overwhelmed by the hire. I'm just whelmed by it. Read the threads over there. Every time a coach that emerged as a front-runner it was all sunshine and lollipops. It was like they were convincing themselves that THIS was a great hire. If they had hired Chico they would have convinced themselves that he was the the greatest hire since Steve Spurrier. Wilson is a decent hire. He won't be able to sell recruits on playing for a National Title. He won't be able to sell recruits on playing in the NFL. He pretty much had the entire state of Louisiana to himself. That will not be the case at nUTSAck. 

Most fan bases get behind their guy regardless of who it is. Im a Browns fan and I was all for Mike Pettine at first. To me Wilson's success will be defined by his OC hire.I have a feeling he will want a pro style guy. I think UTSA and UNT are going to be two very different teams come next year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I know you and others may not believe this, but college football fans tend to overrate every new coach that is hired to lead the program for which they are a fan...

I think you need to reread the post I was quoting. All it said was an SEC assistant is going to be as successful recruiting to Craphole. The exact same thing can be said for Littrell.

But you knew that.

Ahhh you are now making excuses to defend yourself isn't that nice. Just responding to Your post sir!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wow...from Larry Coker to a position coach?  I'm beginning to the UTSA's AD is in over her head.  Although, if he fails, no one will notice anyway, so...carry on!

3 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Withers is going to be hard to top as far as Texas hires go, IMO. 

Agreed.  The Texas State and UTSA hires are night and day different. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Read the pats here about Littrell. It's a good self examination exercise for members of this board.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I just love how some NutsaCK fans are convinced this hire will propel them into the Big 12. Oh yeah? 5 years into the existence of a program? Their offense is gonna look like ours the last 4 years: run, run, run, punt. SEC football doesn't work in CUSA(all of us can attest to this) and that's all Wilson has ever known

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

It's a good hire for mid-January.  Had the job been opened in early December and this is who they hired I'd have said it was a disappointment. 

As with all jobs, including ours, time will tell.

Very true. The list of candidates leading up to today was a lot more telling. Good stealth hire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I just love how some NutsaCK fans are convinced this hire will propel them into the Big 12. Oh yeah? 5 years into the existence of a program? Their offense is gonna look like ours the last 4 years: run, run, run, punt. SEC football doesn't work in CUSA(all of us can attest to this) and that's all Wilson has ever known

The Big 12 is going to be the next Big East when OU and Texas finally ditch it.  At that point, it will be shut off from whatever the P4 will be called.  Then, and only then, when it is relegated to Purgatory status, will UTSA sniff an invite.

1 hour ago, drex said:

Let's face it, any new hire is a crap shoot.  Let's just hope that Seth fits in and does well here.

That's true to an extent.  But, it's hard to roll a 7 or 11 with just one die.

• Upvote 1

Yes, recruiting to UTSA is different than recruiting to LSU. Then again will Litrell have the same level of athletes at UNT that he had at UNC? Probably not but that doesn't stop y'all from getting excited.

The other finalist was a DC at Ok St and GMG scoffed that potential hire. Chances are, even if Wilson had coordinator experience GMG would've found another way to scoff him. Don't understand the insecurity.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA, allow us to introduce you to our head coach in a revenue sport that was known as a "recruiter" at a Power school before we hired him to come here...his name is Tony Benford.

This is basically who you just hired to run your football program. Good luck with all that...

Sir, I think you are off message and your master will not approve. Today's talking points are that our sunshine pumper fanbase it just as stupid as theirs for thinking we could have made a good hire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Sir, I think you are off message and your master will not approve. Today's talking points are that our sunshine pumper fanbase it just as stupid as theirs for thinking we could have made a good hire.

How did you get the talking points memo? I thought you were just here to have a good time, win or lose (but usually lose)...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, correcamino said:

Yes, recruiting to UTSA is different than recruiting to LSU. Then again will Litrell have the same level of athletes at UNT that he had at UNC? Probably not but that doesn't stop y'all from getting excited.

The transfers have already been far above normal level.  Littrell is producing already.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

How did you get the talking points memo? I thought you were just here to have a good time, win or lose (but usually lose)...

Actually I am not even there. I live overseas and buy tickets because my parents enjoy going. Plus I kinda want to keep my front row seats. But I would have given them up if Mac had not been fired and I am on the record here about that.

And the talking points where nailed to the church door.

• Upvote 1