Arrest Made for Murder of Sara Mutschlechner

13 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Nah, military justice is often much lighter than civilian courts. Bring him back and let him stand trial here.

Do you have any statistics to support your claim?

In this very sad case, there is concurrent jurisdiction. The military has a claim to prosecute a crime committed by any member. There was a 2010 case in NC where a soldier was acquitted for a triple murder in a civilian court. He had left the army following the murder but after his acquittal, the army recalled him to active duty and then prosecuted him under the UCMJ and found him guilty and then sentenced to death.

My guess is since he was arrested by Federal Marshals while on a military installation, the parties desire that he will be tried in a civilian court. This may and can be reversed once the case makes its way through the courts.

53 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Do you have any statistics to support your claim?

In this very sad case, there is concurrent jurisdiction. The military has a claim to prosecute a crime committed by any member. There was a 2010 case in NC where a soldier was acquitted for a triple murder in a civilian court. He had left the army following the murder but after his acquittal, the army recalled him to active duty and then prosecuted him under the UCMJ and found him guilty and then sentenced to death.

My guess is since he was arrested by Federal Marshals while on a military installation, the parties desire that he will be tried in a civilian court. This may and can be reversed once the case makes its way through the courts.

No stats, but I was an Army paralegal and was regularly disgusted by the light sentences handed out for awful crimes. When a guy murders a baby with his bare hands and gets 10 years it leaves an impression on you.

• Upvote 2

That's very, very sad and I am sorry to hear this. My experience was in the Air Force and as a commander for many years, recall many harsh sentences for somewhat minor infractions. One case that i still remember was an airman who failed to make good on a 2300 check to a local body shop. He was given 5 years.

Returning to the tragedy at hand, I hope whoever prosecutes this crime, civilian or military, achieves the maximum sentence if proven guilty.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:16 PM, Harry said:

The thing about this article that I have questions about is the text about the "wrong place, wrong time". The tweet makes it seem as though she was not the designated driver but that perhaps an intoxicated male was? The fact that she was found on the ground outside of the car and not seatbelted in the driver's seat intrigues me. I just wonder if her "friend" moved her body to avoid some jail time.

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The thing about this article that I have questions about is the text about the "wrong place, wrong time". The tweet makes it seem as though she was not the designated driver but that perhaps an intoxicated male was? The fact that she was found on the ground outside of the car and not seatbelted in the driver's seat intrigues me. I just wonder if her "friend" moved her body to avoid some jail time.

In that event the eveidnce at the scene will readily show that she was not driving. Head wounds almost always bleed a lot and that's before you do even rudimentary ballistics on holes in the car and the like.

Depending on the level of impact the victims will have bruising from seat belts which are also excellent indicators of their positions in the car.

It seems most likely she was moved to provide first aid and not for any other reason.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Take this with a grain of salt considering the PoS source who "heard it from his friend." His statements after that completely discredit the claim that she wasn't drive. I think it's been confirmed that the male friend was in the back or passenger seat and did engage with the males in the SUV including the shooter after the shooter had made lewd comments towards the girls. Now his friends are running around saying it was her and her friend's fault for not just taking it and making comments back which "set him off." It's ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Take this with a grain of salt considering the PoS source who "heard it from his friend." His statements after that completely discredit the claim that she wasn't drive. I think it's been confirmed that the male friend was in the back or passenger seat and did engage with the males in the SUV including the shooter after the shooter had made lewd comments towards the girls. Now his friends are running around saying it was her and her friend's fault for not just taking it and making comments back which "set him off." It's ridiculous. 

Thanks for that.