Todd Dodge

DougRush

Todd Dodge has Austin Westlake in the state finals after snapping Allen High School's 57 game win streak last night.  This is Dodge's 2nd season at Westlake.  I am not sure what went wrong at U.N.T. when he was here but the guy can coach. 

assistant coaches with little to no experience at college level. Yes that man sure can coach. 

• Upvote 4

Todd Dodge has Austin Westlake in the state finals after snapping Allen High School's 57 game win streak last night.  This is Dodge's 2nd season at Westlake.  I am not sure what went wrong at U.N.T. when he was here but the guy can coach. 

He is a great high school coach at a large school with an abundance of talent.

He is a terrible college coach at a bottom feeding FBS program where you have to fight for the talent available with conference foes.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 10

Nothing against the man but it's simply not true that he is a "great coach". He has a losing record everywhere he has been besides two of the most resource rich HS programs in the nation. 

This times 1000000.

Check his record at Naman Forest and look at the demographics. That should tell you a whole helluva lot. Put him in in a south Dallas school and then tell me how he does. The guy SUCKED at UNT and was an absolute emabarrassment. Good riddance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

There is a saying in high school football that what works on Thursday night (jv games) doesn't work on Friday night (varsity games).   You could also say that what works on Friday night does not work on Saturday night.    Todd Dodge thought that he could bring his high school schemes and coaches to the college level and be successful.   Well, we all know how that turned out don't we ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nick Saban must be a subpar coach.  His 15-17 record with the Dolphins, a subpar NFL team.  He only had National Championships at LSU and Bama......

You should have ready my post a few days ago. But yes, Saban has had success at elite places. At Michigan State he was meh. In Miami he did a bad job. But put him in a place where he can micromanage the F out of everything and everyone while having the best athletes that the south has to offer (<--- nothing he created) he will then have success. Steve Spurrier said he didn't want to take the Alabama job because of it being an easy job (kind of a slap in Saban's face). 

Westlake hasn't been to the state finals in 6 years. He is a good coach. You guys are still bitter because he made some rookie mistakes while coaching us. I'd take a Todd Dodge coached quarterback over anything else we've ever had at NT. Mitch Maher, Vizza, Riley, and DT all at NT. Chase Daniel and Greg McElroy at Southlake. Tom Savage at Pitt. Sam Ehlinger at Westlake.

He neglected the defense, we all know that. By the time he made the effort to correct it, it was too late for his career. Let us not bash a man who was a tremendous ambassador for UNT, recruited the bulk of our 2013 bowl team, and was vital to our making Apogee a reality. Yes he had a terrible win-loss record but I am forever grateful to Todd Dodge for the positive things he brought to our program.

He did something that McCarney could only dream of. Recruit at an average level. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yes he had a terrible win-loss record but I am forever grateful to Todd Dodge for the positive things he brought to our program.

6-37.

He did bring positives, but he tanked us at a time we MIGHT have been able to reclaim the momentum we had from the Dickey bowl years, remember he was hired less than 2 years after out 4 year run of bowl games.  All of that momentum got completely and utterly wiped out under his tenure.  

I think that is why so many hold a grudge.  He tried his best, so did Mac, but coaches get paid to win games.  

• Upvote 7

This times 1000000.

Check his record at Naman Forest and look at the demographics. That should tell you a whole helluva lot. Put him in in a south Dallas school and then tell me how he does. The guy SUCKED at UNT and was an absolute emabarrassment. Good riddance. 

Don't forget the record at Marble Falls.

He is fantastic when provided the talent to run his offensive scheme. In high school. 

Without that abundance of talent? Not so much. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Don't forget the record at Marble Falls.

He is fantastic when provided the talent to run his offensive scheme. In high school. 

Without that abundance of talent? Not so much. 

Absolutely correct.  His best record at any of the non-upper-middle-class schools was 5-5. Provided with lots of resources......different story.

SeasonTeamWinsLossesNotes
1994Cameron Yoe37 
1995Cameron Yoe55 
1996Carrollton Newman Smith46 
1997Carrollton Newman Smith55 
1998Keller Fossil Ridge27 
1999Keller Fossil Ridge55 
2000Southlake Carroll95 
2001Southlake Carroll105 
2002Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2003Southlake Carroll151lost title game 16–15 to Katy
2004Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2005Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2006Southlake Carroll1605A Division I state champions
2012Marble Falls46 
2013Marble Falls46 
2014Austin Westlake73 
 Total13761 

And the lesson here? When Texas finally dumps Charlie Strong, they should hire Todd Dodge as their next coach.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely correct.  His best record at any of the non-upper-middle-class schools was 5-5. Provided with lots of resources......different story.

1994Cameron Yoe37 
1995Cameron Yoe55 
2000Southlake Carroll95 
2001Southlake Carroll105 
2012Marble Falls46 
2013Marble Falls46 
2014Austin Westlake73 
 Total13761 

And the lesson here? When Texas finally dumps Charlie Strong, they should hire Todd Dodge as their next coach.

Funny, but also kinda true.

1994Cameron Yoe37 
1995Cameron Yoe55 
2000Southlake Carroll95 
2001Southlake Carroll105 
2012Marble Falls46 
2013Marble Falls46 
2014Austin Westlake73 
 Total13761 

will you provide those schools records before he got there? yall are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. He can either 1 coach or 2 can't. Matters not where he is. He had to beat Allen arguably the deepest most talented team consistently in the state. The guy man can coach. 

• Upvote 7

will you provide those schools records before he got there? yall are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. He can either 1 coach or 2 can't. Matters not where he is. He had to beat Allen arguably the deepest most talented team consistently in the state. The guy man can coach. 

Read the record. Upper middle class schools (Southlake and Westlake) he does very well. All others......5-5 is his best record. 

It just struck me. He only does well at schools with the word "Lake" in their name. Damn! When we hired him we should have changed our name to "University of North Lake Texas" . We'd have been good to go then. .................

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Coach Dodge made one big mistake, he didn't retain DD's defensive staff. If he had done that, and made a few other adjustments, he might still be here.....or coaching at a higher level somewhere else. In my assessment, his system seems to work with highly motivated overachievers. I guess in the beginning he thought his defense would do alright, and as long as his offense could put up a lot of points, he would be okay. Well by the time we played Navy it was very evident that he had given up hope that his defense could do even minimally well. Pre-game assessments said that Navy couldn't defend the pass, and it was already proven that we couldn't defend the run. We got the initial kick-off and (as expected) scored. On the subsequent kick-off we did an onside kick and got it back and then scored again. While just about everyone else around me was delirious about the bold move, I turned to whoever was standing next to me and said "holy crap!, Todd Dodge just said his defense couldn't stop their offense, and his only hope was to get one score ahead". Turns out that was true.

Coach Dodge seems to do best with the "upper middle class" player who's parents are very involved in his participation and provide most of his emotional support. Coaching a mixed (economic) bag of players might have been a different challenge for him that he couldn't adjust to in a timely manner.

And why did he NOT retain any of DD's defensive staff?

Hint:  It wasn't Gretchen Battialle's fault....

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Read the record. Upper middle class schools (Southlake and Westlake) he does very well. All others......5-5 is his best record. 

It just struck me. He only does well at schools with the word "Lake" in their name. Damn! When we hired him we should have changed our name to "University of North Lake Texas" . We'd have been good to go then. .................

I simply disagree, because I haven't seen the records prior to his arrival.  anywho it is easier to coach at those big schools, except for the fact that you have to coach against the other top tier coaches and programs in the state.  

Carroll's record the last 20 seasons is 244–39–1.  Plus they had at least 3 state titles before Dodge.

He tanked NT and had one of the worst FBS coaching records ever. He sucks major donkey balls in my book. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

And McCarney did something Dodge could only dream of. Win 9 games, much less in one season. Oh, and a mid-tier bowl W.

Freshmen and sophomores don't win big games or bowl games. They had to materialize within the program before that took place. Once it did they were able to put together a nice season. Nothing McCarney did brought success to that season. That man was a hindrance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2