Texas Arlington (12/3/15)

CMJ

I think we shot under 40%...

From the line...

That is discipline, which is coaching.

How Benford has kept a job for 4 years is amazing.

But not as amazing as his boss, who has somehow managed to hang around for 15 without producing squat.

Only at UNT.

Benford is gone before Jan 1.

An amazing 33% from the line.  Four players had shots but no makes.

It didn't make much of a difference in the game but that's still really bad.

Where the hell is the Benford banner?

It's safe to say he's done. The RV banner was flown to shine light on a half assed excuse of a job. It was flown so people know why we suck at everything. People know and yet there are only crickets coming from Smatresk's office. There is absolutely no reason I can even attempt to muster as to why RV is still employed by this University. I'd be more than happy to take a job inside the athletic department (once changes are made) to stir the hive and get juices flowing. New AD, whoever you are, give me a call. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scott Cross is an interesting guy, don't think I've heard of many guys who went from player at school, to directly being an assistant at same school, to head coach at that school. He's from Arlington too. Has to give him a sense of dedication for the University few other coaches have I would imagine. Maybe he would have taken this job because of the raise, but I think he's where he's supposed to be. 

You guys are being too nice. How can a UTA fan talk smack in such an environment?  Good luck the rest of the season!

We are just beaten. Frankly, we pay our coach $150,000 more than you guys pay yours and this is the product we get in comparison. Pile on the 3 million buyout we just had to do for a coach who was getting paid 3 times what the FCS coach who smoked him was and you can see where the self-loathing comes from. We can no longer use the "little guy" excuse; especially in our conference and compared to other mid-majors in the state. 

• Upvote 2

I wish we played the same style offense that UTA uses. Lots if ball movement which leads to a wide open 3. It's no surprise why they have won the games they have won.

Can you tell me what style of offense we play? Serious question. 

You guys are being too nice. How can a UTA fan talk smack in such an environment?  Good luck the rest of the season!

thanks... only if by 'good luck' you mean 'good luck in getting rid of that coach before 2016'

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

You know so little about basketball, it's actually stunning at times. 

I've taken to just assuming the four year-old in his avatar is actually the one making the posts. 

especially if I then assume that four year-old is this kid:

Little-Kid-Dunk-Fail-GIF_zpsaq5dmtto.gif

so if you read all of Andrew's posts as if you're reading the ramblings of a concussed pre-kindergartner, it helps. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Where the hell is the Benford banner?

Benford is COMPLETELY on RV, so the Benford banner flew at the same time as the RV banner. 

It's safe to say he's done. The RV banner was flown to shine light on a half assed excuse of a job. It was flown so people know why we suck at everything. People know and yet there are only crickets coming from Smatresk's office. There is absolutely no reason I can even attempt to muster as to why RV is still employed by this University. I'd be more than happy to take a job inside the athletic department (once changes are made) to stir the hive and get juices flowing. New AD, whoever you are, give me a call. 

I think you should be the new SID...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No.

Total.  I think 3 wins the rest of the season is our ceiling.

Wow. 

Even im not to this point. I think we get to 8 or 9.

is it wrong that I hope we don't win a game the rest of December so Benford and RV will (hopefully) be fired? 

If loving it is wrong, I don't wanna be right. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hope I am dead wrong, as even Benford being fired is not gonna make having a five win season any fun to suffer through.

But it may push UNTPrez and the 17 to finally do what should have been done 3 years ago for Benford and last year for RV. 

We aren't going to win more than 9 at the most, and 9-20 some odd or 3-30 isn't that big of a difference.

So if losing those additional games gets us to an overhaul of this entire AD, I'm all for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I, too, attended the UTA game last night.  What I came away with was a real respect for that UTA team.  They move the ball extremely well and do very little "standing around".  Some of their passes were incredible and the players all seemed to be looking for those type of passes.  They have a couple of players who seem to have NBA potential and actually played that way.  Combs seemed to be frustrated the entire game as the UTA defense collapsed on him...and every UNT player, coming into the lane.  I cannot recall so many blocks, misdirected or just flat missed  shots in the laneby UNT in some time.  We made one nice run in the first half to come back from a rather large deficit, but only got close.  Then UTA went back to work and built a 10 point half-time lead.  Pretty much over from that point on out.  Interesting who sat and who plated for UNT.  I assumed it was because we needed quicker players to match UTA's quickness.  UTA played as a team....UNT needs to learn to do the same thing.

Now, about that arena....yes, nice, but my very first thought upon entering the seats/court area was that I was back in Hot Springs for the Sunbelt Tournament.  While it looks very nice and is a tremendous upgrade over "the stage", I just was not that impressed.  Seats are flimsy plastic and seemed to be set very close together.  One plus were the handrails going up/down the row stairs.  The Super Pit really needs those.  There were not nearly enough concession stands and those open were super slow.  They do sell beer and you take the can into the seating area...no plastic cups here.  I guess they figure no one will toss the cans onto the court.  Restroom facilities I saw were nice and clean and parking was free in the multiple level garage.  

As to their crowd...nice, but nothing to write home about.  We met a couple of UTA grads at J. Gilligan's on Abram St. Where we met up before the game for burgers and beer.  These two said that UTA had made a big deal out of the game and discounted tickets and promised everyone a t-shirt after the game ( got two...there were bank t-shirts or something like that-left them there). They said the parking garages would be packed and 5000 were expected.  Well, the parking garages were not full 30 min. before game time when we arrived and no where near 5000 made it into that arena.  But, still, it was loud and the UTA fans were definitely into the game.

That UTA team is darn good!  We got beat by a superior team last night...man for man they matched up against our guys and pretty much beat them time and time again.  They appear to be well coached and UTA seems to have their coach, but how long he will stay if UTA makes a run this year is anybody's guess.  

I saw a earlier  estimate by UNTFan23 that we had about 100 fans in attendance.  I would guess that was about right...included in that crowd were Willie Davis and Bill Miller...two of UNT's greats!  All things considered, not a bad turnout on a weeknight by the UNT faithful, but I recall days when we ventured over to watch games played on the stage where many times that number of UNT fans made the trek.  Sign of the times I guess.  Too bad.

Also...let me say this...very poor student turnout by UTA to watch a team that has NCAA Tournament potential and who is coming off wins over Ohio State, Memphis and who took UT to overtime before losing a close one.  That surprised me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2