UNT Monday night Coaching Update

Harry

Didn't know much about him but the more I researched the more it seems like he's been the guy hitting the road recruiting for North Carolina. Nothing I've read indicates Meacham was a recruiter, but I was hopeful he could get Luper to come with him which may have been a long shot anyways. I wouldn't undderate the Oklahoma connections either, that's a largely untapped area for us that I think has been neglected by prior coaching staffs. What's your thoughts on that? 

Yeah, my thought has always been that the teams that pull the best classes or classes better than their school normally does are lead by great recruiting head coaches. Ace recruiting position coaches are a big, but at the end of the day the recruits are signing off to play for the head coach, and they have to really have a good impression of the HC to sign if they have options.

I expect him to tap into Oklahoma. Our last staff tried but again, we just weren't winning many substantial recruiting battles regardless of area. I like Oklahoma in that it's a low exposure area, so you can get kids that aren't OU or Ok State caliber, yet are borderline G5/P5 kids who don't actually have any P5 offers.

• Upvote 1

Everything I have heard from people close to this said RV has nothing to do with this hire, he is a figure head AD only making only the press statements that Smatresk gives him to announce. 

I won't be completely happy either until RV is gone at this point. Knowing that RV did not have his hand in this makes me happier though. 

RV is Smatresk's Spalding.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, my thought has always been that the teams that pull the best classes or classes better than their school normally does are lead by great recruiting head coaches. Ace recruiting position coaches are a big, but at the end of the day the recruits are signing off to play for the head coach, and they have to really have a good impression of the HC to sign if they have options.

I expect him to tap into Oklahoma. Our last staff tried but again, we just weren't winning many substantial recruiting battles regardless of area. I like Oklahoma in that it's a low exposure area, so you can get kids that aren't OU or Ok State caliber, yet are borderline G5/P5 kids who don't actually have any P5 offers.

Patrick Cobbs was a decent Okie.

Smatresk seems extremely politically savvy.  I think he is toying with RV.  When he is done having fun, he will do what needs doing if RV hasn't already left.  All he has to do is start making RV doing the things he needs to do to get things on track, all while building a file of examples of issues.  RV seems smart enough that he would get the message.

In the past, I don't think RV's boss ever took as much of an interest in sports as Smatresk seems to take.

UNLV is a place that thrives on it's basketball program. He understands what a well supported and high visibility program does for a university. Whle he wasn't there during the prime Tarkanian days in the late 80s early 90s, but UNLV was a solid hoops school and the Thomas & Mack Center was the place to be in Vegas while he was there. I like the way he is doing things. I believe I was wrong about whether or not he was engaged with the pulse of the athletic department. I stand by my decision to support the banner and billboard, but I will admit that I underestimated his desire to see athletics succeed.

OVERRATED. You said it yourself... JC was the original retread hire. If he was so great, he wouldn't have needed a 2nd chance to make that comeback. 

Granted... We need a miracle worker here. But can we really count on someone who needed maximum divine intervention to make his plan work? He wouldn't get those sort of resources here. 

Now, if you give me a prophet that's had to make do with less? THEN we can talk. We need a Zoroaster, a Nestorius, or possibly a Mahavira. But has RV so much as called a single one of them? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. 

I wouldn't mind the JC hire.  He turned water into wine, He can surely get a couple 3* recruits to Denton... right?  If you like baby Briles because of his ties to Art, you'd love the scraps JC's Dad throws our way.

What UNT really needs is a guy whose offense is so innovative, he can virtually see into the future of college football.  His defense should be so high-flying that you would even say they predict the opposing offense's plays before they're snapped.  

Of course, I'm talking about:
nostradamos5.jpg

• Upvote 1