How much of a money game

H-towngreen

What is UNT being paid for the Tennessee beating?

$750,000

When Tennessee moved its North Texas meeting from 2011 back to 2015, it cost the Vols an additional $150,000, going from an initial price of $600,000 to the current price of $750,000.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1668923

Wow....$750,000 is pocket change these days.  $1,000,000 plus is almost the starting point with most being closer to $1.5. Very discouraging. Hate to be a RV basher but it basically takes 2 RV money games to equal 1 money game for most other schools.

Hell, didn't we pay Portland St 300k+ to come whoop our ass??!?

• Upvote 6

Wow....$750,000 is pocket change these days.  $1,000,000 plus is almost the starting point with most being closer to $1.5. Very discouraging. Hate to be a RV basher but it basically takes 2 RV money games to equal 1 money game for most other schools.

We paid them (Portland St) 400k+ ... and yes, it is outrageous RV can't get an SEC team to pay us 1+ million...one of the MANY reason he needs to leave UNT. 

• Upvote 3

$750,000

When Tennessee moved its North Texas meeting from 2011 back to 2015, it cost the Vols an additional $150,000, going from an initial price of $600,000 to the current price of $750,000.

Thankfully that game was rescheduled so our team could be whored out to Alabama for an embarrassingly noncompetitive contest in 2011.

That's the ol' North Texas spirit! Never schedule home-and-home series when you can whore out your team for easy cash.

• Upvote 5

Exactly right.  It's a great deal for Tennessee, but not for North Texas.

This is what so many of us have been trying to point out for a while now.  

We paid Idaho $420,000.  We paid Portland State $450,000.....or $100,000 more than UTSA brought in Arizona for in '14.

Sure, it's only $100,000.  But it's $100K here, $200K there that adds up.  And add it to the numerous coaching buyouts and we would have enough to buy out of one of these whore games down the road.  

Im glad so many are waking up the fact that we have a poorly run athletic department and it's bleeding to death right before our very eyes.  It gives me hope for this fan and alumni base for the future.

Rick

It's great that everyone is wiping the sleep from their eyes. It really is. What next...

• Upvote 3

***Disclaimer:  I may be using inaccurate sources and reading said sources incorrectly.  The following may be completely false.***

I've been pondering this issue a bit lately.  

Student fees are up and paying for the stadium (BUT RAISE IT MORE DAMMIT!)

Alumni big donations are up and paying for ancillary facilities and increased coaching salaries.

CUSA television revenue is considerably higher than SBC television revenue was (I wanna say I heard somewhere in the $1.4 million per year range, but correct me if I'm wrong)

USA Today is telling me that we're running at about a $31.6 million budget with $19.8 million in subsidies (I assume this is from student fees and state funds?)

If I'm reading the historical tables correct (and I may not be. they are ambiguous) that's up from a $18.9 million budget on $5 million in subsidies in 2011.

So we're getting an extra $12.7 million per year if I'm reading these tables even remotely correctly (and again, they're a bit vague, so I may not be).

If we're getting that much extra money, then why, oh why do we continue to sell ourselves to the SEC for under market paychecks?  Why do we still need them?  With the large increase in revenues we now have, could we not play our road games at MAC and MWC schools for $500k and do just fine with our budget?

***Repeated disclaimer:  I may be reading inaccurate information incorrectly.  The above is merely thought, not proposal or cited indictment.***

Did I mention that I may not have accurate information on this and that I may be entirely incorrect?  

• Upvote 2

***Disclaimer:  I may be using inaccurate sources and reading said sources incorrectly.  The following may be completely false.***

I've been pondering this issue a bit lately.  

Student fees are up and paying for the stadium (BUT RAISE IT MORE DAMMIT!)

Alumni big donations are up and paying for ancillary facilities and increased coaching salaries.

CUSA television revenue is considerably higher than SBC television revenue was (I wanna say I heard somewhere in the $1.4 million per year range, but correct me if I'm wrong)

USA Today is telling me that we're running at about a $31.6 million budget with $19.8 million in subsidies (I assume this is from student fees and state funds?)

If I'm reading the historical tables correct (and I may not be. they are ambiguous) that's up from a $18.9 million budget on $5 million in subsidies in 2011.

So we're getting an extra $12.7 million per year if I'm reading these tables even remotely correctly (and again, they're a bit vague, so I may not be).

If we're getting that much extra money, then why, oh why do we continue to sell ourselves to the SEC for under market paychecks?  Why do we still need them?  With the large increase in revenues we now have, could we not play our road games at MAC and MWC schools for $500k and do just fine with our budget?

***Repeated disclaimer:  I may be reading inaccurate information incorrectly.  The above is merely thought, not proposal or cited indictment.***

Did I mention that I may not have accurate information on this and that I may be entirely incorrect?  

There is an easy, accurate, concise answer to your question:

The athletic director at UNT sucks ass.

<what were you expecting?>

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV is junior varsity when it comes to business acumen. He's better suited to running a pizza parlor in a small college town. That's just how it is. He has cost us more money, wasted more of our precious time and caused more damage than good. He should have been fired years ago.

• Upvote 2

$750,000

But Harry, RV signed the 2015 Iowa game in 2009? And the Tennessee game was moved to 2015 in 2011? Before we even moved to CUSA? 

Yet Tulsa's decision to leave CUSA in 2013 is the reason for the 5 game home season this year?

Your AD lied straight to you twice on 2 different podcasts. You should have called h on it the second time (I understand you need to be nice for access purposes, but he brought it up, which made it fair game). 

I know it has to bother you that he would straight up lie to cover for his lack of job performance. 

I wonder why others (see: big money donors) simply don't care that RV lies to cover up poor performance.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

We paid Idaho $420,000.  We paid Portland State $450,000.....or $100,000 more than UTSA brought in Arizona for in '14.

This is misleading. UTSA had a 2 for 1 with Arizona. Those deal are very different than a bought game. The home team pays travel costs to the visitor, so UTSA fulfilled their obligation to Arizona. UTSA was similarly compensated for the 2 home games. So UTSA made a gamble that they would have a high revenue home game since they wouldn't make money on the 2 road games. Because we don't sell out our home stadium (different issue that sits at the feet of RV) we don't like to sign 2 for 1 deals. They also mean that we have to buy a game to avoid the dreaded 5 game home slate. 

Again, I am not saying that our scheduling is good, but the statement that you are making is leaving out a lot of context that is important. UTSA did not buy a game with Arizona and we would not be able to duplicate that deal as you have presented it.

• Upvote 3

This is misleading. UTSA had a 2 for 1 with Arizona. Those deal are very different than a bought game. The home team pays travel costs to the visitor, so UTSA fulfilled their obligation to Arizona. UTSA was similarly compensated for the 2 home games. So UTSA made a gamble that they would have a high revenue home game since they wouldn't make money on the 2 road games. Because we don't sell out our home stadium (different issue that sits at the feet of RV) we don't like to sign 2 for 1 deals. They also mean that we have to buy a game to avoid the dreaded 5 game home slate. 

Again, I am not saying that our scheduling is good, but the statement that you are making is leaving out a lot of context that is important. UTSA did not buy a game with Arizona and we would not be able to duplicate that deal as you have presented it.

It's not misleading at all.  We overpay and get underpaid.  If  the above is what Arizona and UTSA agreed to then that's what they agreed to.  We should be expected to do the same thing.  

Rick

• Downvote 2

We paid them (Portland St) 400k+ ... and yes, it is outrageous RV can't get an SEC team to pay us 1+ million...one of the MANY reason he needs to leave UNT. 

"We paid them (Portland St) 400k+ ... and yes, it is outrageous RV can't get an SEC team to pay us 1+ million...one of the MANY reason he needs to leave UNT."

Answer: Georgia paid us 1 million two years ago.