How much of a money game

H-towngreen

"We paid them (Portland St) 400k+ ... and yes, it is outrageous RV can't get an SEC team to pay us 1+ million...one of the MANY reason he needs to leave UNT."

Answer: Georgia paid us 1 million two years ago. 

I know that, although I am not too sure Georgia even paid us a full million. Nevertheless, I did not say we never got paid that amount. I was referring to the fact that RV couldn't get us to an SEC school for 1+mil this year. Going to Tennessee for $750k is simply unacceptable and everybody knows that...and we all know RV has been progressively getting worse on the scheduling front. 

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

I know that. I never said we never got paid that amount. I was referring to the fact that RV couldn't get us that deal for this year. Going to Tennessee for $750k is simply unacceptable and everybody knows that. 

While it is unacceptable, this contract was signed in 2007 or 2008, so you need to compare the going rates back then.

• Upvote 1

While it is unacceptable, this contract was signed in 2007 or 2008, so you need to compare the going rates back then.

I actually read that it was initially for 600k and RV  was only able to negotiate an increase of 150k....so something tells me his negotiation skills are pretty bad since the deal was open for adjustments. 

***Disclaimer:  I may be using inaccurate sources and reading said sources incorrectly.  The following may be completely false.***

I've been pondering this issue a bit lately.  

Student fees are up and paying for the stadium (BUT RAISE IT MORE DAMMIT!)

Alumni big donations are up and paying for ancillary facilities and increased coaching salaries.

CUSA television revenue is considerably higher than SBC television revenue was (I wanna say I heard somewhere in the $1.4 million per year range, but correct me if I'm wrong)

USA Today is telling me that we're running at about a $31.6 million budget with $19.8 million in subsidies (I assume this is from student fees and state funds?)

If I'm reading the historical tables correct (and I may not be. they are ambiguous) that's up from a $18.9 million budget on $5 million in subsidies in 2011.

So we're getting an extra $12.7 million per year if I'm reading these tables even remotely correctly (and again, they're a bit vague, so I may not be).

If we're getting that much extra money, then why, oh why do we continue to sell ourselves to the SEC for under market paychecks?  Why do we still need them?  With the large increase in revenues we now have, could we not play our road games at MAC and MWC schools for $500k and do just fine with our budget?

***Repeated disclaimer:  I may be reading inaccurate information incorrectly.  The above is merely thought, not proposal or cited indictment.***

Did I mention that I may not have accurate information on this and that I may be entirely incorrect?  

2011 is when the student fee increase kicked in, so my educated guess is that most of that money is servicing the stadium debt.

• Upvote 1

It's not misleading at all.  We overpay and get underpaid.  If  the above is what Arizona and UTSA agreed to then that's what they agreed to.  We should be expected to do the same thing.  

Rick

No, it is misleading.
You're trying to compare UTSA-Arizona's 2-1 series against UNT's paycheck games.  
Because, as soon as that 5-game home schedule rolls around (because we're dealing with a 2-1, so it will) everyone's head will explode again.

Your point about overpaying the FCS schools to come in and getting underpaid by the P5 schools to show up is valid, but the UTSA-Arizona series can be left out of that argument.

No, it is misleading.You're trying to compare UTSA-Arizona's 2-1 series against UNT's paycheck games.  
Because, as soon as that 5-game home schedule rolls around (because we're dealing with a 2-1, so it will) everyone's head will explode again.

Your point about overpaying the FCS schools to come in and getting underpaid by the P5 schools to show up is valid, but the UTSA-Arizona series can be left out of that argument.

That's great and all, but there was a 5  home game schedule this season. Which "name brand" team did we bring in to cause that?

• Upvote 1

It's not misleading at all.  We overpay and get underpaid.  If  the above is what Arizona and UTSA agreed to then that's what they agreed to.  We should be expected to do the same thing.  

Rick

It is misleading. You are comparing a single game payout to a 2 for 1. Of course the money is different, but you are equating the two. If you want us to make 2 for 1 deals, then that is fine, but don't try to make them apples to apples when they aren't.

That's great and all, but there was a 5  home game schedule this season. Which "name brand" team did we bring in to cause that?

That is a different screw up that needs to be addressed and is part of the scheduling woes that RV brings in, but 2 for 1 deals do lead to 5 game home slates if you don't carefully plan things out. That is a big part of why I don't want 2 for 1 deals with RV making those contracts, they will lead to more 5 game home seasons. I just don't trust him to make those deals work and still give us 6 home games.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1

That's a completely different discussion.  

There have been discussions about it before though.   Are you in-favor, or anti 2-1 series?  If you're in-favor, you believe the gamble of a potential 5-game home schedule is worth it to bring in a P5 and bank on the gate at that game to cover the budget shortfall of a year without the paycheck game.  You're also going to <XYZ school> twice and not getting any money other than the cost of travel...  so essentially, you're risking 3 years of your budget.
Or, Do you think the paycheck game & FCS buy-game is better?   I do.
Or, Do you think we should never play FCS or P5 games, instead scheduling ONLY G5 home/homes?  I think this is the best scenario, but RV can't seem to get it to work.

That's a completely different discussion.  

There have been discussions about it before though.   Are you in-favor, or anti 2-1 series?  If you're in-favor, you believe the gamble of a potential 5-game home schedule is worth it to bring in a P5 and bank on the gate at that game to cover the budget shortfall of a year without the paycheck game.  You're also going to <XYZ school> twice and not getting any money other than the cost of travel...  so essentially, you're risking 3 years of your budget.
Or, Do you think the paycheck game & FCS buy-game is better?   I do.
Or, Do you think we should never play FCS or P5 games, instead scheduling ONLY G5 home/homes?  I think this is the best scenario, but RV can't seem to get it to work.

How is it completely different? We had (another) 5 home game schedule this year and no name brand game to show for it in the recent past or future. 

How is it completely different? We had (another) 5 home game schedule this year and no name brand game to show for it in the recent past or future. 

The discussion was:
"Look at how little money UTSA paid Arizona to come play at the Alamodome!!!!!1!   We paid Portland State even more money to come here!!!!!1!  We all should be outraged!!!!!!1!"
Then, it was pointed out that the UTSA-Arizona series was a 2-for-1.  Not the same as buying a single game.  UTSA would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...........    be able to purchase a single home game VS Arizona.

A discussion about the lack of a 2-for-1 series for UNT is completely different.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised that no one else has pointed this out...every season that we undersell ourselves and overpay our "tune-up" opponents cancels/balances out one of the big 7-figure donations that Rick has gotten to come in (as an aside: some of those may not have really been him, but may have just been really good timing, i.e. they would have donated anyway and he just happened to be the dude that was here when it happened).

And for the record, I've always been a big fan of RV.  He helped create a huge change in the spirit atmosphere/environment, and yeah, the facilities are great.  And he has a ton of contract remaining, so we don't want to dig an even deeper hole with the payout.  But since there are some things that are obviously not a big part of his skill set, it does make sense to work him into a different role where he can still do what he does best while sliding somebody else into the normal AD role.  Couldn't he maybe be in a special Development/Alumni Relations/Spirit/Facilities role?  Since we have to pay him anyway, let him be in an area where he kicks the most ass...and if he has only that to focus on, wouldn't it stand to reason that he might be even BETTER in those areas without the other stuff to distract from it?

Anyway, just a thought.

And for the record, I've always been a big fan of RV.  He helped create a huge change in the spirit atmosphere/environment, and yeah, the facilities are great.  

To be clear, the only thing RV did was reverse a decision from the previous regimes outlawing tailgating.(Yes, everyone, you read that correctly. It was NOT ALLOWED.) Students and alums just started to do what comes naturally at every other campus on earth. 

The discussion was:"Look at how little money UTSA paid Arizona to come play at the Alamodome!!!!!1!   We paid Portland State even more money to come here!!!!!1!  We all should be outraged!!!!!!1!"
Then, it was pointed out that the UTSA-Arizona series was a 2-for-1.  Not the same as buying a single game.  UTSA would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...........    be able to purchase a single home game VS Arizona.

A discussion about the lack of a 2-for-1 series for UNT is completely different.

we agree, it's not apples to apples. However, we got 5 games schedules and got Portland State for the OOC...

Mom and Dad. STOP FIGHTING! You're scaring the kids. Lets just all agree that RV is very very bad at scheduling. We don't get paid enough to take a whooping and we pay too much to get embarrassed. It's really that simple.

200.gif

Well, what else can we talk about?

we agree, it's not apples to apples. However, we got 5 games schedules and got Portland State for the OOC...

Well, what else can we talk about?

Let's dig up an old 2-for-1 thread and continue this conversation there.  
I agree.  The schedule this year sucks!  If I could choose this schedule of 2 paycheck games VS a 2-for-1, I would choose the 2-for-1 without hesitation.
I'm just trying to speak to the subject at hand in this particular thread.

To be clear, the only thing RV did was reverse a decision from the previous regimes outlawing tailgating.(Yes, everyone, you read that correctly. It was NOT ALLOWED.) Students and alums just started to do what comes naturally at every other campus on earth. 

They did start to do what comes naturally elsewhere...but he was involved in lots of other stuff besides tailgating that also helped push everyone into that natural state.  He really did promote the hell out of it, much more so than had been done before, and empowered interested parties to assist him so that he could delegate leg work to a small army of people.  I would agree, though, that the tailgate change is the one notable thing that had the greatest impact.

If a Pac 12 school will agree to travel here for $350K,..allow us to keep the gate, then pay us good competitive money for a return trip there twic... I'd take it every time over paying Portland State $425K.  And of course, there are numerous other examples of other programs getting one for ones as well.

The difference between us and them?  Effort.

Rick

If a Pac 12 school will agree to travel here for $350K,..allow us to keep the gate, then pay us good competitive money for a return trip there twic... I'd take it every time over paying Portland State $425K.  And of course, there are numerous other examples of other programs getting one for ones as well.

The difference between us and them?  Effort.

Rick

Uh, YEAH!   That would be a fleecing.    
Can you show a source where you're seeing that Arizona was giving money (outside of travel expenses) to UTSA for travelling there for their 2 games?   I've never heard of this before.

• Upvote 1