Greer Issue

UNT 90 Grad

Not sure if TV or radio picked up on it, but at the game today, there was a moment when we were on offense and there was some sort of issue getting the play in.  Either it didn't get in, wanted it repeated, couldn't see it, or something.   Then one of the coaches got all up in Greer's face.   Greer wasn't backing down.   The team had to call a time out and Greer and the coach had to be separated.  I'm not sure which coach it was (not Canales).  Most of them looked the same with their matching rain gear.  I'm curious what the deal was.   It seemed to take far too long to separate the two.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of backup QBs, where is Dajon W?

Ex UNT RB Erick Evans has put together a string of good games. He had another long TD run of 58 yds today and also caught 5 passes..

It will be interesting to see what he does for the next 2 plus years.

I don't remember which school Dajon is at now.  Texas A&M Commerce maybe?   Last I heard he wasn't starting for them either. 

Speaking of backup QBs, where is Dajon W?

Ex UNT RB Erick Evans has put together a string of good games. He had another long TD run of 58 yds today and also caught 5 passes..

It will be interesting to see what he does for the next 2 plus years.

He allegedly went to TAMU-Commerce but he isn't on their roster. I think he is trying to be a rapper 2Legitt or something like that.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

I think this will be Greer's last season here, with Damarcus seemingly locking up the spot for next year.

What exactly as Damarcus done to "lock up" the starting position? I agree that Greer should transfer, but not because Smith has done stranglehold on the job. Hopefully a decent FBS QB grad transfer arrives to take the QBjob away from Smith. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

DM Smith is awful! If you think we have a chance to win with this guy you're crazy. This guy can't throw a "simple" swing pass or throw with any accuracy. Yeah, he can run so big deal, if you can't throw the ball you have no chance of winning. We need to tear this team down to the studs and rebuild, plain and simple...

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

Due to piss-poor recruiting, out of seven quarterbacks on roster, DM Smith is the best we have.  Should the new coach somehow, through an act of God's mercy on the UNT Nation, recruit a good QB this off-season, I say make a wide receiver or running back out of DeMarcus.  This young man has talent, but his talent is not in throwing the football.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Agree D Smith is the best we have. He has three significant issues:  1) decision making 2) ball security and 3) throwing accuracy.  He has a good arm, but really struggles with short passes.  

I don't think we will win more then 2-3 games next year with new HC and Da Smith as QB.

• Upvote 2

If we can't win more than 2-3 games in 2016 with what we will be paying a new coach, then it's time to dome Apogee and make it into the concert hall that Denton desires to perserve its artsy fartsy public image as the place that no business wants to locate.

It will all depend on the new coach getting a ready to play QB in here by Spring (read: graduate transfer). A really good CUSA QB can make up for a lot of other deficiencies. 

Ask La. Tech. 

Even with that QB, I wouldn't expect to win more than 6 games next year tops. UNT is headed for a 1-11 record (not 3-9 or 2-10). This is a VERY bad football team. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

It will all depend on the new coach getting a ready to play QB in here by Spring (read: graduate transfer). A really good CUSA QB can make up for a lot of other deficiencies. 

Ask La. Tech. 

Even with that QB, I wouldn't expect to win more than 6 games next year tops. UNT is headed for a 1-11 record (not 3-9 or 2-10). This is a VERY bad football team. 

or coaching what he has, use Smiths strengths, we all agree are RUNNING, and the deep ball, use he and the RB as running read options, with the ability to pull it and sling it 40 yards down field. Keeps safeties occupied, makes them stay out of the box, keeps numbers game simple. Auburn did the same thing (IM NOT COMPARING HIM TO CAM NEWTON) with Cam Newton, run pass option every time, while running the zone-read with the RB.  It's a lethal combination. 

• Upvote 1

or coaching what he has, use Smiths strengths, we all agree are RUNNING, and the deep ball, use he and the RB as running read options, with the ability to pull it and sling it 40 yards down field. Keeps safeties occupied, makes them stay out of the box, keeps numbers game simple. Auburn did the same thing (IM NOT COMPARING HIM TO CAM NEWTON) with Cam Newton, run pass option every time, while running the zone-read with the RB.  It's a lethal combination. 

Smith has a strong arm, but hardly any accuracy, whether it's a deep route, mid range route, out patten, or swing pass. And he will be a senior next year.

Due to piss-poor recruiting, out of seven quarterbacks on roster, DM Smith is the best we have.  Should the new coach somehow, through an act of God's mercy on the UNT Nation, recruit a good QB this off-season, I say make a wide receiver or running back out of DeMarcus.  This young man has talent, but his talent is not in throwing the football.

I would like to see Smith at running back as well. Maybe some receiver, but he's built probably more like a running back, and is pretty good at running in between the tackles. 

There could potentially be some pretty good grad-transfer QBs. Guys like Alec Morris at Alabama, Trevor Knight at OU, heck even Birdsong at Marshall and Matthews at USM in our own conference (doubt they'd get releases to us).

What exactly as Damarcus done to "lock up" the starting position? I agree that Greer should transfer, but not because Smith has done stranglehold on the job. Hopefully a decent FBS QB grad transfer arrives to take the QBjob away from Smith. 

I was trying to be nice. If the new coach goes with a senior QB on this roster, it would be Smith and I'd be surprised if Greer stuck around for that. The new coach also might want a young QB to develop while he gets this team's talent level back where it should be. Either way, there really isn't a scenario where Greer is the guy.

• Upvote 1

There's a reason we were D. Smith's only offer after JUCO.  Still can't figure out what we saw in Greer either.  This is Canales.  You can't get me to believe he wasn't evaluating QBs during the recruiting process.  It's his job, and we have a huge talent gap there. 

But he beat UTSA...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Agree that Da Smith is just a "not ugly" girl in a room full of chicks with unibrows. Any average to above average college QB wins the job over him next season. While a grad transfer would be better than nothing, even better would be if we hired an exciting head coach who could pull in "his guy" a P5-level high school quarterback recruit loyal to the coach and attracted to the opportunity of building this program as a starter for four years instead of waiting his turn at a Big 12 school. Kinda like how RGIII was committted to Houston before following Briles to Baylor. The right HC should be able to land an impact QB immediately, especially with the lack of competition already on the roster.

There could potentially be some pretty good grad-transfer QBs. Guys like Alec Morris at Alabama, Trevor Knight at OU, heck even Birdsong at Marshall and Matthews at USM in our own conference (doubt they'd get releases to us).

Another situation to watch is Baylor. If that true freshman plays lights out for the rest of the season then Seth Russell is a grad transfer prospect, too.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 1

Agree that Da Smith is just a "not ugly" girl in a room full of chicks with unibrows. Any average to above average college QB wins the job over him next season. While a grad transfer would be better than nothing, even better would be if we hired an exciting head coach who could pull in "his guy" a P5-level high school quarterback recruit loyal to the coach and attracted to the opportunity of building this program as a starter for four years instead of waiting his turn at a Big 12 school. Kinda like how RGIII was committted to Houston before following Briles to Baylor. The right HC should be able to land an impact QB immediately, especially with the lack of competition already on the roster.

Another situation to watch is Baylor. If that true freshman plays lights out for the rest of the season then Seth Russell is a grad transfer prospect, too.

Aaaaaaand we're back to being off topic.  

I have no information about this, but I do suspect that it is typical of some of our player dissatisfaction issues now and in the past, which are that the guys who come here want to play, and don't see the same view of the depth chart and their place on it as others do.  With the way this season is going, some people will be unhappy. 

If we can't win more than 2-3 games in 2016 with what we will be paying a new coach, then it's time to dome Apogee and make it into the concert hall that Denton desires to perserve its artsy fartsy public image as the place that no business wants to locate.

Give it a rest, Jim.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1