It's 42-0 middle of the 3rd quarter

UNT90

Can we FINALLY put the Chico for head coach movement to rest? 

We are playing a conference foe, not freaking Alabama. How RV continues to collect a paycheck is simply amazing and shows that the administration and enough of the large donors simply don't care about winning. 

I have an idea we should Fire that RV guy. What do you think?

Probably the worst game North Texas game I have ever watched- completely non-competitive- we looked terrible on both sides of the ball.  Chico is part of the problem now and has been for the last 6 years.  He should not even be considered for a interview.  Cosh needs to find a new career.  

• Upvote 5

Louisiana cranks out a large volume on good high school players, and while LSU gets the pick of the litter, the Bulldogs get the best of the rest. They tap into Shreveport as well as Arkansas,Mississippi, and East Texas, and have a rich tradition of WINNING  football. They have a "any time, any where" attitude and have had signature victories in the past.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Probably the worst game North Texas game I have ever watched- completely non-competitive- we looked terrible on both sides of the ball.  Chico is part of the problem now and has been for the last 6 years.  He should not even be considered for a interview.  Cosh needs to find a new career.  

Who would've thought, just 7 years after what we thought would be the worst NT season ever, (when we were outscored by an average of 27.6 ppg) that we'd be living in the worst season ever as we have been outscored by an average of 28ppg with our worst loss being against a FCS opponent in our stadium on homecoming.

• Upvote 2

. They tap into Shreveport as well as Arkansas,Mississippi, and East Texas

They have 19 Texans on their roster, 10 of which come from the DFW region, including a 307 pound OL from Arlington Lamar.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/latc-m-footbl-mtt.html?wappref=std

There is absolutely zero excuse they should ever beat us for any recruit.

Rick

• Upvote 3

They have 19 Texans on their roster, 10 of which come from the DFW region, including a 307 pound OL from Arlington Lamar.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/latc-m-footbl-mtt.html?wappref=std

There is absolutely zero excuse they should ever beat us for any recruit.

Rick

look at both our and their facilities and anybody would be scratching their head on why someone would choose LA Tech over North Texas to play football. 

this is a perfect example to show the RV supporters that defend him with the, "he built us new facilities" approach. Our lack of coach quality recruiting the last 2-3 years is also hurting us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

look at both our and their facilities and anybody would be scratching their head on why someone would choose LA Tech over North Texas to play football. 

this is a perfect example to show the RV supporters that defend him with the, "he built us new facilities" approach. Our lack of coach quality recruiting the last 2-3 years is also hurting us.

Not only do recruits care very little about how many years a coach is under, facilities isn't at the top of their choices either.  They want playing time and a chance to win, and it's the coach and only the coach that can convince them of this.  

Anyone who has been to La Tech and not only seen their facilities but seen their campus knows they hold absolutely no advantage over us in that regard, including their new AC endzone facility.  What La Tech has over us is a mindset to work harder to succeed...university wide.

If you have never been on their campus before you would be shocked how vast the difference is between their campus and ours. It's not a dig at them, but incredible respect I have for the effort they have put forward to gain their athletic success.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I live in the DFW area and Tech has pretty good rep in football circles and high school coaches, with the most current players in the NFL from CUSA.

Tech has been in 1-A since 1988 with wins over several P-5 programs including Alabama (when they were SEC champs and went to the Sugar Bowl).  Tech played in the WAC with Boise. And not to down UNT but there is a stigma with being a former Sunbelt school. I really like UNT and Denton, but Tech is 1 of 3 tier one universities in CUSA (Rice and Charlotte). Apogee is nice, UNT basketball arena not so much. Yes, size and facilities, UNT wins out over Tech but that would be it IMO.

Edited by dawgxas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know who to point the finger at for a team that has 32 of 85 scholarships going to walk-ons. With that much lack of legitimate FBS talent, I don't think the devil spawned  love child of Knute Rockne and Vince Lombardi could produce.  That point really grinds my gears since McCarney was the one who constantly bashed Dodge's recruits as being too small and too slow.

Tech played in the WAC with Boise. And not to down UNT but there is a stigma with being a former Sunbelt school. 

I think that stigma will eventually end.  I always held a stigma for the WAC post Mountain West exodus.  After that, the conference became a haven for Big West leftovers who still had football.  Boise was a no-name school moving up in Division.  They were hardly world beaters.  In fact, they didn't do very well against little ole' North Texas in the Big West.

But years have passed, We saw Boise pull of that BCS miracle.  Nobody remembers the utter shambles that conference was under our constantly rejected suitor, Karl Benson.  Eventually, the conference lineups will settle down, somebody in CUSA will pull off a miracle win, and that half the conference used to be in the Sun Belt won't be a thing in people's memories.

UNT's obstacles don't lie in its former conference affiliations.  They lie in years and years and years of UNT coaching staffs alienating every high school in the state of Texas.  Some how, some way, we've got to make nice.

• Upvote 4

I live in the DFW area and Tech has pretty good rep in football circles and high school coaches, with the most current players in the NFL from CUSA.

Tech has been in 1-A since 1988 with wins over several P-5 programs including Alabama (when they were SEC champs and went to the Sugar Bowl).  Tech played in the WAC with Boise. And not to down UNT but there is a stigma with being a former Sunbelt school. I really like UNT and Denton, but Tech is 1 of 3 tier one universities in CUSA (Rice and Charlotte). Apogee is nice, UNT basketball arena not so much. Yes, size and facilities, UNT wins out over Tech but that would be it IMO.

That would be it? I'll do nothing but agree with size and facilities, but how about night life, festivals, 40 minutes from a Rangers game, Cowboy game and Six Flags. How about degree choices, international airport also about 35-40 minutes away, real job opportunities right down the road upon graduation, if DFW recruit the whole fam will never miss a game. I'm sure this plays into some recruits decisions, but an extremely large and diverse group of coeds and the list really does go on and on and on. But, sure, size and facilities only. Psh. You're comparing Denton and the DFW metropolitan area with Ruston, Louisiana. 

Oh, and no one really gives a damn about tier 1 status. Go ask your typical 17 year old high school senior what tier 1 is. It should be amusing to listen to all the answers. I don't think there is actually one single thing that makes La Tech better than North Texas except for Skip Holtz vs our Interim. That's about it and that's temporary. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, and no one really gives a damn about tier 1 status. Go ask your typical 17 year old high school senior what tier 1 is. 

I don't know about that.  This seems to be constant reading material for many of the teenagers I know.  Maybe they don't know or use the term "Tier 1," but they've always got those rankings and reputations on their minds.  I'm still not 100% sure what the whole Tier 1 thing means.  I believe it's related to research dollars.  Anywho, LaTech is ranked #199, so I don't really see it as the first choice dream school of many people.  However, I don't hold anything against it either.  Fun stat is that LaTech actually has a higher acceptance rate than UNT at 65% vs 62%, thereby making UNT ever so slightly more selective.

Edit:  I found the definition of Tier 1, or at least a definition.

However, if you go by US News’ definition, all ranked schools in a category are now considered Tier 1 schools. That’s approximately 200 universities in the National University category. All unranked schools are considered Tier 2.

At #199, LaTech BARELY gets into the club.

Edit Edit:  The article I took that from seems to have several definitions of Tier 1.

Edited by oldguystudent

Ok, let's take it easy here with the whole tier 1 and rankings issue. First of all, Rice is simply at another level academically in the conference yet that doesn't necessarily appeal to high-end prospects. Rice simply doesn't have the amount of support or internal interest it needs to become a TCU-like program. Moreover, many prospects can't even consider the school because they can't meet its academic standards. Secondly, the state of Texas is in a big state-wide effort to increase funding for its public universities to achieve "tier 1" status, whatever that really means. However, this means its quite harder and more competitive at the moment to achieve tier 1 status in Texas but UNT will get there sooner than later because it also means the state is ready to increase funding for institutions that are committed to research and "excellence." LA Tech is ranked #199 in a ranking prospects do look at which is nothing to really hang your hat on to a recruit prospect vs an unraked school that will soon get there...at this level, the prospect will look more closely at location and what academic programs the institution offers that they may be interested in and which institution has a stronger program. We have plenty of strong programs.

Another huge appeal is athletic culture and reputation, we are lacking in both BUT we really have the fundamentals in place and the potential to really hit it "big" (top-end of the G5 programs) if things are changed around. A glimpse of this was evidenced during our HOD bowl game where we took close to 40k fans, and honestly, our AD did not do a great job in advertising for this bowl game. I know that this number would only increase with future local bowl appearances, especially if we get to play a bigger-named opponent. Regarding LA Tech, I support your school and athletic programs and have nothing against your institution. However, you also have some big obstacles (I think bigger than ours) if you want to really reach a different level of support and culture. Seriously, yesterday you probably had 800 fans in your stadium in a game you called your homecoming during a year that you're at the top of the conference, which is really indicative of the issues you face (no, rain isn't an excuse for such pathetic attendance). We both share similar obstacles, but it doesn't take away the fact that we are in a better location, have great size and academically we're fine and will be ranked "tier 1" soon. What we need is new leadership that'll bring in respectable and exciting opponents to Apogee and a new winning tradition in conference and the rest would unfold really, really nicely. So nice, we would be looked at by other conferences just like Houston has done for themselves. The question for us is...will that leadership ever take place? We just love to shoot ourselves in the foot as an institution but our potential is huge.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

No doubt DFW is whole heck of a lot better than any town in Louisiana and Mississippi. But here is what you are missing and is most important.   NFL.

Pitch six flags or rangers games to a recruit and the NFL will win every time. Tech and Southern Miss track record of sending players to the NFL is what gives Tech and USM the upper hand in recruiting. Tech has 13 former players on current NFL roster. Those aren't SEC type numbers but the best in the CUSA by 3 players. 

This year draft Tech is projected to have 3 players in the G5 top 20 players selected. No other G5 had more than 1 

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/13985937/scouts-inc-drafts-20-best-players-the-power-5

It's just not temporary either, Tech has 3 former players that are part of the Pro football hall of fame. Tech has also been ranked in the top 25 on several occasions. Last time was  2012, 5 weeks in the Top 25 and highest rank 19.

Regarding attendance, we have already had 2  real sell outs this year around 27k, so things are looking up. But 50 degrees and steady rain kept all the out towners at home plus most of the older folks. The rice game last Friday in Houston, there were more Tech fans than Rice fans around 5k. 

Good luck the rest of the way

Edited by dawgxas
  • Downvote 2

The difference between La Tech and North Texas.

La Tech to it's  coaches.."Win or your @ss is gone"

North Texas to it's coaches.."Chuck said you've coached in the SEC, ACC, Big 10 etc?  Good enough...welcome aboard.  If you need anything just leave a message on the back of this card and someone will get back to ya".

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2