Vito update on UNT Coaching Search

Harry

There are more than a million kids playing high school football in the US.  Of those 70,000 play at the college level.  There has to be an all American football team that is driving tractors, live in small communities or in such big cities they never get a chance. I believe Coach Carthel has the ability to find those kids. When the more than a million changes to 70,000 and you then have a hand in send 20 to the NFL or top 1,600 it is not an accident, it is miraculous recruiting talent.

• Upvote 2

Colby Carthel has recruited 20 kids that went to the NFL in 15 years.  This information came from him.  All these recruits have been on the D 2 level. He is a program builder, a proven winner and his father was a college coach in Texas.  He has contacts at every level of Texas. He is a young proven winner and can turn this program around.

I like him.

I think our #1 choice right now is Willie Fritz, but I don't think we'll end up landing him.  The more I think of it the more I like Carthel.  Yes he is probably a little too young for most people's tastes but he looks like a guy who can find hidden talent and then get them to sign with him.  I've always said that seasons are won and lost in during recruiting.  

I like him too.  

We need to STOP listing. mentioning, or suggesting any coaches we would like to see here since RV reads this board and there is NO WAY he will hire someone we mention because he has to go out of his way to get someone we have not considered.

• Upvote 1

I think our #1 choice right now is Willie Fritz, but I don't think we'll end up landing him.  The more I think of it the more I like Carthel.  Yes he is probably a little too young for most people's tastes but he looks like a guy who can find hidden talent and then get them to sign with him.  I've always said that seasons are won and lost in during recruiting.  

Colby Carthel has recruited 20 kids that went to the NFL in 15 years.  This information came from him.  All these recruits have been on the D 2 level. He is a program builder, a proven winner and his father was a college coach in Texas.  He has contacts at every level of Texas. He is a young proven winner and can turn this program around.

Colby Carthel graduated from Angelo St. in 2000. I can't find any sort of bio on him that lists his birthday, so I'm guessing he's somewhere around 37. To have recruited 20 kids that went into the NFL in 15 years is astounding. He must be one hell of a recruiter. His first season at TA&M Commerce he was 7-5. His second year was a 9 win season.

His daddy (Don) never had a losing season at WTA&M and took the Buff's into the playoffs six times.

The athletic department shouldn't be issuing updates. First, it's still too early to be eliminating people. Secondly, the entire process should be confidential. Applying and not being picked looks back for the candidate. And if a school is already focusing on someone, a candidates agent might not want to bother. Not leaking information is the professional thing to do. 

Now, I do wish I could find out more, but the fact we can't is a good sign. 

• Upvote 1

The athletic department shouldn't be issuing updates. First, it's still too early to be eliminating people. Secondly, the entire process should be confidential. Applying and not being picked looks back for the candidate. And if a school is already focusing on someone, a candidates agent might not want to bother. Not leaking information is the professional thing to do. 

Now, I do wish I could find out more, but the fact we can't is a good sign. 

you are correct and these are areas where a consultant can really help.  My hope is that they choose a consultant other than Neinas this time although the Neinas group has our file and has history with UNT.  I would like to use another group this time that may be more willing to consider UNT's strengths and weaknesses versus just matching us with their perception of the best candidate.

In defense of Neinas, after Dodge, it did seem like Mac and his strengths played to our needs at the time.

What we can do now is make sure all of the paperwork and notices etc are being processed so once the decision is made you can move quickly.  Secondly, and more importantly, you have to get he funding package approved from the BOR and major donors.  They probably already have an idea of what they want to pay but it needs to be official.  This is not just a head coaching salary but also assistants and support staff.  This is critical and will determine where we fall in the hiring pool more than anything else.

Berglund....who according to Mac was just destroying our defense on the scout team he was so damn good.  He factors into the QB rotation somewhere there.

Rick

Yep.   We were recruiting Berglund and TXTech transfer & hometown hero, Scotty Young at the same time.  Chico liked Young better than Berglund.  Guess who we got? 

Not saying Young would have lit it up here, but he did play a few games for LATech, which is more than Berglund can say.