MGB: Some thoughts on the idea of UNT/RV pursuing an offensive-minded coach

Brett Vito

MGB: What UNT AD Rick Villarreal had to say about pursuing an offensive minded coach makes a lot of sense

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/10/offensive-coach-some-thoughts-on-where-unt-goes-from-here.html/

not true, there are several successful program running the old school offenses.  

• Downvote 2

Keep in mind also...   That pass-happy offense that Dodge ran also attracted the most prolific running back UNT has ever seen. 

That happened because Dodge named Clayton George as an assistant and he had coached Dunbar at Haltom City.  Dunbar had been displaced due to Katrina so staying close to his new home and Coach George sold him on UNT.

That happened because Dodge named Clayton George as an assistant and he had coached Dunbar at Haltom City.  Dunbar had been displaced due to Katrina so staying close to his new home and Coach George sold him on UNT.

I remember.   I'm just saying that simply because the offense is opened up does not mean we shouldn't be able to attract solid runners.

Example number one why you need lots of Texas connections with your coaching staff.  Iowa connections do not work out as well.  

If I was running a college coaching staff, I'd always have at least one recent high school coach on staff who can not only coach at this level but has connections.  I would want to build a reputation with Texas high school coaches as a place that will not only develop their players but also develop coaches.  

• Upvote 2

MGB: What UNT AD Rick Villarreal had to say about pursuing an offensive minded coach makes a lot of sense

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/10/offensive-coach-some-thoughts-on-where-unt-goes-from-here.html/

It depends on how you run the ball. UNT can either run a spread offense with a zone running scheme. Or they can go triple option. They could attract kids for either one. Most likely the spread.

Running out of power formations wont work.

Lots of good offensive minds out there, now can UNT find one and can that guy find a good defensive coordinator.

My personal view is that the popular offensive schemes are good, if you can recruit the players to run them. I want to see a coach who has shown that yes, he has a potent offensive scheme, but will be willing to adjust that scheme to match his talent. The ability to adapt and sell it to his players is important to me, whereas I frown on continually trying to pound that square peg into the round hole.

• Upvote 1

My personal view is that the popular offensive schemes are good, if you can recruit the players to run them. I want to see a coach who has shown that yes, he has a potent offensive scheme, but will be willing to adjust that scheme to match his talent. The ability to adapt and sell it to his players is important to me, whereas I frown on continually trying to pound that square peg into the round hole.

Willie Fritz.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We've tried the other two ad nauseum. It's time to focus on a special teams oriented coach. 

Focus on recruiting QBs that can move the ball between the 20's. 

Feature the quick kick, inside kick, pooch punt.  Bring back the drop kick.

Paint coffins in the corners of the field.

It will be like the triple option.  Difficult to prepare for since you don't see it often.

• Upvote 5

We've tried the other two ad nauseum. It's time to focus on a special teams oriented coach. 

It will be like the triple option.  Difficult to prepare for since you don't see it often.

#GreenitforHC

• Upvote 1

I wanna know.  Really, I do.  Why...the...truck is it so hard for any one coach to realize, acknowledge, and focus on three aspects of the game?  There is offense.  There is defense.  There are special teams.  Every...gosh....darned...coach in America seems to be able to only pick one.  

Very true. You can have an offensive minded head coach who wants to spread the field in a big way, but that doesn't preclude you from hiring a hard nosed and experienced defensive coordinator with a good track record. Too bad no one informed Todd Dodge of this, or he might actually still be here and winning games.

• Upvote 2

I wanna know.  Really, I do.  Why...the...truck is it so hard for any one coach to realize, acknowledge, and focus on three aspects of the game?  There is offense.  There is defense.  There are special teams.  Every...gosh....darned...coach in America seems to be able to only pick one.  

For real.

Let me ask this question in another way and you tell me.

I wanna know.  Really, I do.  Why...the...truck is it so hard for any one accountant to realize, acknowledge, and focus on two aspects of their job?  There is tax.  There is audit.  Every...gosh....darned...accountant in America seems to be able to only pick one. 

It's simple, theres too much information for one person to learn.

• Upvote 1

Very true. You can have an offensive minded head coach who wants to spread the field in a big way, but that doesn't preclude you from hiring a hard nosed and experienced defensive coordinator with a good track record. Too bad no one informed Todd Dodge of this, or he might actually still be here and winning games.

I had the same criticism of Dodge for several years. I said that if he had only retained the DC and his staff from DD's group he would have been very successful. But I always accused him of being short sighted and insisting on bringing his cronies with him.

Of late, I've been told (more than once) that Dodge DID want to retain DD's DC and his staff, but RV would not let him. 

OK people close to the situation......true or not?

Beamer-ball?    If Frank Beamer is interested in the job, I'd love to have him.

Abner Haynes played for Dodge?

Why do we have to hire an offensive or defensive minded coach? Why can't we just hire a winning minded coach?

Abner, no doubt, was a fantastic, prolific running back in North Texas history.  He even had a great professional career...  but:

Player                Career Yds        Career TDs        Avg Yds/Att
Abner Haynes    1,864                  19                      5.4
Lance Dunbar    4,224                  41                      5.4

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me ask this question in another way and you tell me.

I wanna know.  Really, I do.  Why...the...truck is it so hard for any one accountant to realize, acknowledge, and focus on two aspects of their job?  There is tax.  There is audit.  Every...gosh....darned...accountant in America seems to be able to only pick one. 

It's simple, theres too much information for one person to learn.

Any given managing partner is certainly going to have focused on either tax or audit in his career, but he's going to make damn sure that he's got other partners and managers in place who are experts in each field.  His firm should be able to hold itself out to the public as a capable provider of both services.  I don't much see that in football, even for most big programs.  

Then we need to hire Jeff Rodgers away from the Bears.

talk to a lot of recruits and high school coaches during recruiting season. Running the ball and playing good defense and special teams is a philosophy that can work, and used to work in the Big Ten and other cold weather states.

But it’s an approach that has pretty much gone the way of flip phone, especially in Texas. High school kids today recognize the old technology and know how they work.

They just won’t be caught dead with one, or in this case playing in one (a run-first offense).

Really?  Then you haven't talked to very many teams then..like Trinity...Martin...Aledo...Burleson..and on and on and on...

Rick