It's Happened Again...a Violation Of Your Privacy

FirefightnRick

I would be surprised if it was not Adrienne Nettles?   I recieved an immediate email response from her saying she had recieved it..but her title was from the URCM dept...not the office of the president?  I thought that was odd?

So I then notified the head the URCM department and asked if this was a common practice?  Deborah Lilieart assured me it was not and that this was highly unprofessional for her department to intercept an email and forward it to someone else without the approval of the intended receiver...FIRST.  She then apologized several times stating she would try to talk to staff and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Typically 1 or 2 people in URCM receive the prez e-mails first either to filter, or respond themselves with a form letter. I feel like as a group, the office must have decided to just forward these on to RV. URCM dept handles any president communication. If it's a letter from the president, it's probably written by someone in URCM (unless it's for something really significant, ie not monthly newsletter).

While it doesn't constitute a privacy issue, it does seem to me that the forwarding of the e-mails straight to RV either A) the office finds it not worth the president's time or B) the president finds it not worth his time and wants RV to fix it himself.

your name must be greg

no-power.gif

• Upvote 2

Typically 1 or 2 people in URCM receive the prez e-mails first either to filter, or respond themselves with a form letter. I feel like as a group, the office must have decided to just forward these on to RV. URCM dept handles any president communication. If it's a letter from the president, it's probably written by someone in URCM (unless it's for something really significant, ie not monthly newsletter).

While it doesn't constitute a privacy issue, it does seem to me that the forwarding of the e-mails straight to RV either A) the office finds it not worth the president's time or B) the president finds it not worth his time and wants RV to fix it himself.

no-power.gif

Yes I know...I spoke directly to the head of the URCM dept herself about it.  She said.....very apologetically I might add...that mine was mishandled in an unprofessional manner and that she would do everything possible to prevent it from occurring again.  But apparently it is happening again.

Rick

The 2 main things that I care about are:

1. Did RV instruct someone to intercept negative emails about his performance so he could see them first.

2. Did those emails ever make it to Neal Smatresk in their original format.

To #2....not with mine...there was no time for Rawlins to have read it..2...maybe 3 minutes tops.  It was as if mine bounced straight to rv's phone.   The Nettle's woman even admitted that she did not read it through before sending it on.   

Rick

That's not creepy at all.

I sense some paranoia from your boy RV and fellow members of the 17.

I think the word you're looking for is condescending/domineering 

@flyonthewall is establishing either that 1) they are aware of your letters or 2) they are aware of your letters and are using them to light their cigars.

• Upvote 4

There's no grounds for a lawsuit because a letter to Smatresk was forwarded to someone else.

The president of a public university is a government official. Letters and emails sent to President Smatresk about Rick Villarreal are public records, so there's no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I could file an FOIA request and get a copy of every letter and email sent to Smatresk since the PSU game about Villarreal.

When sending letters or emails to government officials, make sure not to include any information you want to keep private -- including your phone number and address. In February, Jeb Bush released hundreds of thousands of emails he was sent while he was Florida governor. There was a lot of personal information in this correspondence. He put them all online:

http://jebbushemails.com/email/

This is the correct answer.  Even if you write that you want it private it is not private.  The only items that are confidential are those send under attorney-client privilege. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe we can steal this guy from TCU?

Helwig_Craig_story.jpg

I mean, his last football hire has led Memphis to 6-0, a #18 ranking, and a win over Ole Miss. The last football coach this guy hired won 4 consecutive conference championships and 26 straight conference games until his much hated successor fired said coach and proceeded to hire epic failures. This is the AD answer to all of our prayers.

Edited by Cr1028

I don't have a problem with Smatresk sending complaint letters and emails about Villarreal to him. In any big organization a letter to the president might get forwarded to the department that's responsible for the problem.

If Villarreal contacted anyone who complained and is rude to that person, it's a good cause to write a new complaint to Smatresk. That would be highly unprofessional.

But if he's being polite and all he does is try to justify himself and his decisions, what's the problem with hearing that? Surely most of us on GoMeanGreen could hold our own in a discussion with any UNT official on why it's time for Villarreal to go -- including Villarreal himself.

• Upvote 4

I don't have a problem with Smatresk sending complaint letters and emails about Villarreal to him. In any big organization a letter to the president might get forwarded to the department that's responsible for the problem.

If Villarreal contacted anyone who complained and is rude to that person, it's a good cause to write a new complaint to Smatresk. That would be highly unprofessional.

But if he's being polite and all he does is try to justify himself and his decisions, what's the problem with hearing that? Surely most of us on GoMeanGreen could hold our own in a discussion with any UNT official on why it's time for Villarreal to go -- including Villarreal himself.

Because he has anything better to do? 

Because he is getting paid to write those letters instead of doing anything more productive? 

Because it reeks so bad of a small time operation?

Because he doesn't abide by a rule my daddy taught me long ago: Keep your head down, do your job really well, and keep your mouth shut. Others will sing your praises. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Because he has anything better to do? 

Because he is getting paid to write those letters instead of doing anything more productive? 

Because it reeks so bad of a small time operation?

Because he doesn't abide by a rule my daddy taught me long ago: Keep your head down, do your job really well, and keep your mouth shut. Others will sing your praises. 

Ever heard of Bill Byrne? He was the AD at A&M for about 10 years. And he was known for occasionally calling an irate fan and explaining why things were not going the way the fan wanted. The AD at A&M had better things to do, but sometimes reached out to fans directly. He certainly was paid to be productive, but in the professional judgement of a professional athletic director sometimes contacting irate fans IS the most productive thing to do. Certainly A&M isn't a small time operation. 

I don't like some of what RV has done, but on other parts of this board you are saying he's wrong because you feel he won't respond to fans and here you say he's wrong because he actually does. 

• Upvote 5

Ever heard of Bill Byrne? He was the AD at A&M for about 10 years. And he was known for occasionally calling an irate fan and explaining why things were not going the way the fan wanted. The AD at A&M had better things to do, but sometimes reached out to fans directly. He certainly was paid to be productive, but in the professional judgement of a professional athletic director sometimes contacting irate fans IS the most productive thing to do. Certainly A&M isn't a small time operation. 

I don't like some of what RV has done, but on other parts of this board you are saying he's wrong because you feel he won't respond to fans and here you say he's wrong because he actually does. 

Find one post where I ever said RV should personally respond to one individual fan's criticism. I promise you, it doesn't exist. 

1187 words justifying your job performance to a fan who obviously feels otherwise is EXTREMELY unproductive. Someone has a minor issue and you want to reach out to them to fix it? By all means make a call on these EVERY NOW AND THEN. But this is anything but that. RV isn't trying to help anyone in that letter but himself. And that's a huge difference.