MGB: Sounds like Smith is going to get his shot

Brett Vito

I don't get this logic either, though I agree with some of the sentiment that has since been posted.  If we applied this guilty-by-association logic to everything, then we'd need to get rid of everyone from our trainers to major donors.

The coach is here to win.  That is his role in the scheme of this machine...this, bleeding open wound.  You're telling me, if this team goes 7-0, you don't think he should even be considered? Not at all?

We might have a guy who is cushy with his job and needs to ousted, or we might have a guy that has stuck through it all because he 1) wants this job really bad, and 2) sees exactly what screws up have been made and just needs the authority to fix them.  

There are a handful of posters here much more in-the-know than I who are convinced we will not even have to cross this bridge.  So, it seems, Canales supporters will just have to suck it up and move on.  It just seems illogical to not consider him at all.

The team will play better under Chico, but the lackluster recruiting under Mac is coming to a head now. Coaching isn't the only reason they're 0-5 and got blasted by a FCS school. The talent level here is bottom of the CUSA barrel. With Mac this team was going 0-12. Under Canales, I think they get 2 wins. 

• Upvote 2

IMO, the biggest root cause of this fiasco is the lack of a QB to step in to replace Thompson in 2014.  That began our downward spiral which culminated in Mac putting his family friend in the role.  The team was willing to trust their coach and see what he had, but when it became apparent that he was not the guy AND the coach refused to make a change, the team lost faith in their coach because they knew he was not being honest with them.  Trust was broken.

We all saw the final result on Saturday after 2 or 3 three and outs on offense.  The defense flat out quit, followed shortly thereafter by the rest of the team.

• Upvote 3

That may be true, but tds ahese 7 games are important for both Coach Chico and our program.  We have never gone winless at North Texas.  Chico's legacy here and at future places could well be defined by this 7-game stretch.   I for one am pulling for him to be successful.  As fans we will again get to see the real Chico offense and that should be fun.

I sure hope we can sneak up on UTEP. Otherwise, we will witness a history not to be happy with.