If RV isn't fired...

UNT90

Do we actually think RV is in danger of losing his job? I mean the BOR seems to like him, and I don't think Smastrek has the balls to do it. Will his donors bail if he's gone.

RV will go out on his own terms. There aren't enough hire-ups yelling for his head. Wish we had some former players calling for the AD's head too. 

I heard enough to believe he is on a hot seat and even to the point that he is next so I guess we will see. 

My personal strategy will be to attend the last three home games and then hide and watch. As changes are made, I will evaluate them using all my double-secret, proprietary techniques. If I like what I see by April, I'm in for another roll of the dice. If I don't like what I see, that budget line item may get re-titled as "Custom AR-15 w/Optics".

• Upvote 3

Agreed. I'll withdraw my support for academics as well.

Really?  Over a football HC and athletic director?  Hopefully, you are just super upset at the moment.  Do our students really deserve this?  What have they done to warrant support withdrawal?  Man, that's pretty harsh.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

Really?  Over a football HC and athletic director?  Hopefully, you are just super upset at the moment.  Do our students really deserve this?  What have they done to warrant support withdrawal?  Man, that's pretty harsh.

I think the point was many would like the school as a whole to take athletics more seriously. I have read many articles that showed donations increased to all areas of a University  when major sports were doing well. They felt that sports especially winning in football and basketball  ties alumni back to their university. 

I think the point was many would like the school as a whole to take athletics more seriously. I have read many articles that showed donations increased to all areas of a University  when major sports were doing well. They felt that sports especially winning in football and basketball  ties alumni back to their university. 

How many articles have you read where folks withdraw academic support due to athletic personnel?  Indeed, overall donations go up with athletic success...absolutely no question about that, but withdrawing already happening academic support because of a losing football program or a specific athletic staffer is harsh no matter how you cut it or try to dress it up.  Those kids on scholarship, many the first from their families to attend college, have zero control over such things and rely heavily on that academic support in order to attend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How many articles have you read where folks withdraw academic support due to athletic personnel?  Indeed, overall donations go up with athletic success...absolutely no question about that, but withdrawing already happening academic support because of a losing football program or a specific athletic staffer is harsh no matter how you cut it or try to dress it up.  Those kids on scholarship, many the first from their families to attend college, have zero control over such things and rely heavily on that academic support in order to attend.

I think it might be one in the same, I get your point too. It turns in to politics and if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours kind of thing. 

Do we actually think RV is in danger of losing his job? I mean the BOR seems to like him, and I don't think Smastrek has the balls to do it. Will his donors bail if he's gone.

RV will go out on his own terms. There aren't enough hire-ups yelling for his head. Wish we had some former players calling for the AD's head too. 

We do... I have no twitter, but Mr. Hamilton and some of the guys from the dodge years chimed in.

So, do we know for a fact that Mac was fired in front of the players, or that the players were just in the locker room and the termination was handled in a different office?

Harry has a post somewhere quoting Mac himself (or showing him in a video, whatever), saying that Eric Capper and Hank Dickensen came to the locker room and summoned him to RV's office, where the firing occurred.

So, do we know for a fact that Mac was fired in front of the players, or that the players were just in the locker room and the termination was handled in a different office?

Did not happen in front of the players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Instead of posting in here, all of you send and email with the amount you donate and send it to Smatresk saying this is what I contribute usually and i won't if RV is back. Or it's for baseball only or whatever. That's more productive. I sent him an email explains my withdrawal after McNulty was named the starter and outlined my horrible experience with the ticket office. That might help get what you want. 

Judging by the pained look on Ricky V's face and the way Smatresk interacted with him on the field right before the check ceremony at halftime, I'd say yeah he's scared shitless.

Smatresk has been on a roll lately of of telling people get results and be part of the solution or go pound sand. Departments across the university are in a whirlwind of change, and it's change that's finally dismantling the bullshit apathy and do-nothingness that's plagued this school for decades. Allowing Villareal to sit tight doesn't jive with everything else the man has done so far as president.

Please god, I hope you're 100% accurate. Change is badly needed. Can't wait it out with the whirlwind that is college athletics.

• Upvote 1

It looked like RV was unveiling his own buyout.

That rumor was also floating around a bit at tailgating. I hope it is soon. Retirement, resigning for personal reasons, fired, early retirment, I don't really care how it happens as long as it happens very very very soon. 

Judging by the pained look on Ricky V's face and the way Smatresk interacted with him on the field right before the check ceremony at halftime, I'd say yeah he's scared shitless.

Smatresk has been on a roll lately of of telling people get results and be part of the solution or go pound sand. Departments across the university are in a whirlwind of change, and it's change that's finally dismantling the bullshit apathy and do-nothingness that's plagued this school for decades. Allowing Villareal to sit tight doesn't jive with everything else the man has done so far as president.

I hope you are right.  If they do that I am back in 100% and do even more on the academic side.  UNT is not longer just a university it is the flagship university of a University System.

That rumor was also floating around a bit at tailgating. I hope it is soon. Retirement, resigning for personal reasons, fired, early retirment, I don't really care how it happens as long as it happens very very very soon. 

He'll need a buyout to go away.  Retirement may be the face of him going away but he has over 300K reasons a year to keep on milking this for what he can

He'll need a buyout to go away.  Retirement may be the face of him going away but he has over 300K reasons a year to keep on milking this for what he can

Not huge he has 16 months left on his contract UNTFlyer posted earlier