Anyone want to take a flyer on Randy Edsall?

golfingomez

Nope. Next coach needs to be a first time coach who is an up and coming coordinator. If done right he is here for 3 years, 2 years would be even better, before he bolts for a big program.

Does he need to be that? I don't think so. But I think that's the most likely profile, although we shouldn't restrict our criteria.

But yeah, hiring coaches who were just fired from bigger programs has to be the right guy and the circumstances have to be translatable. Getting hired here doesn't necessarily mean they're more likely to succeed just because it's a step down in competition.

• Upvote 2

Does he need to be that? I don't think so. But I think that's the most likely profile, although we shouldn't restrict our criteria.

But yeah, hiring coaches who were just fired from bigger programs has to be the right guy and the circumstances have to be translatable. Getting hired here doesn't necessarily mean they're more likely to succeed just because it's a step down in competition.

No matter what I believe the next head coach has to be an offensive minded guy. Don't care where he comes from but he better be able to put large numbers of points on the board. 

• Upvote 1

No matter what I believe the next head coach has to be an offensive minded guy. Don't care where he comes from but he better be able to put large numbers of points on the board. 

We definitely agree on that, and have made similar posts. No G5 in recent memory has been a BCS buster type team without a prolific offense.

Nope. Next coach needs to be a first time coach who is an up and coming coordinator. If done right he is here for 3 years, 2 years would be even better, before he bolts for a big program.

How about a young head coach from a D-II program, who knows Texas very well.

http://lionathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=22

He obviously learned from his daddy.....and hopefully he learned from his daddy's mistake.

http://ketr.org/post/don-carthels-dismissal-loss-lone-star-conference#stream/0

"A legacy of success

Don Carthel is the winningest coach in West Texas A&M history. Last year, he surpassed the victory total of legendary WT coach Joe E. Kerbel, who accumulated a 68-42-1 record during 11 seasons coaching the Buffaloes (1960-1970). Carthel’s record stands at 79-22 at WT, 125-68-1 overall.

Carthel was named American Football Coaches Association Division II Region Four Coach of the Year in 2012. Before Carthel’s arrival, the Buffaloes had won only seven games in four years. Since then, WT has enjoyed eight winning seasons, six NCAA Division II playoff appearances and five Lone Star Conference championships.

In 2012, the Buffaloes advanced to the national semifinals. I had the privilege of covering that team, though it was hardly planned that way. Along the way, I developed an appreciation for the Carthel brand of football."

"An old-school kind of coach

Don Carthel gets a lot of credit for that success, in my book. He’s as solid as they come on the Xs and Os side of things. But unlike some coaches with a good head for the game, Carthel knows how to build a team.

I say that because over the course of the season, I had many players, coaches and other people close to the program tell me that there was something intangible that was special about the 2012 West Texas A&M Buffaloes. The roster, while loaded with skill, wasn’t light years beyond that of recent WT teams, I was told. But the 2012 team had a sense of family, a bond even stronger than that usually found on a winning football team.

That sort of thing starts at the top. Doesn’t matter whether it’s football any other group activity, trust and mutual support comes from the top or it doesn’t come at all.

Carthel corresponds so much to the archetype of the old-school Texas football coach, it’s almost funny. His speech is colored with the twang and expressions from the cattle country near the Texas-New Mexico line, where he’s spent most of a life dedicated to the game. Carthel played football at Friona High School, then played and later coached at Eastern New Mexico before eventually ending up at WT.

He’s upbeat and friendly, but Carthel’s toothy grin reminds one a little of hard-hitting Texas statesmen from yesteryear like John Connally or LBJ. In other words, there’s just a hint of menace there – he’s a guy you want on your side, not working against you. That’s how it should be with a football coach.

Sports journalists like Carthel – he understands how to work the media, so he’s always quotable with something good to print or broadcast, even during those times when he’s keeping his true thoughts close to his vest.

Players love him. WT’s highly rated punter Kevin Van Voris tweeted “At a loss for words, Coach Carthel was the reason I decided to come to #WTAMU.” Many others echoed similar sentiments as the WT community reacted on social media in the hours after the announcement.

He’s loyal to his players. Rumors being exchanged tonight in the Panhandle say that his loyalty might have led to a bad decision and the eventual rule violation. One anonymous source reports hearing that Carthel covered expenses for two players in violation of NCAA rules. I offer no opinion as to the veracity of that account. But I find that more believable than some violation related to recruiting or some of the seedier practices mentioned in Bylaw 10.1. Presumably, we’ll be able to sift the truth from the hearsay in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, I join many in wishing the Carthel family the very best. The only people who don’t make big mistakes are the people who don’t try to do anything. Those who follow the path of least resistance never have their errors printed on the front page.

Thanks for the memories, Don. I look forward to seeing what Colby can do here in Commerce."

During the height of his tenure @ WT A&M they had an average attendance of 15K+. Their enrollment is 8981.

We could have hired Don Carthel instead of Todd Dodge. During the down time before Todd Dodge was announced as our new coached, I e-mailed Don Carthel and asked him if anyone had contacted him about the job opening at NT. His response was "I'd love to hear from someone at NT about the job opening"

So the answer was no. No other viable candidate was contacted about the job. In looking over his bio, Don Carthel reminds me a lot of another guy from West Texas.......Hayden Fry. 

• Downvote 1

Yes, but likely well out of our price range.

He made UCONN into a ranked team within 5-7 years of joining DI-A, and as soon as he left there UCONN went to terrible. He had many drafted players including at least 1 first rounder (Brown, did not do to well in the NFL though). Also, obviously, football is far from the most popular sport at UCONN.  Of course the resources there were different, they spend about the same amount (~$55 mil) as we did on our stadium to build the Football only full field (120yd) size indoor training facility.

Edited by Elvis
  • Upvote 1

Randy Edsall got hit with off the field stuff right off the bat - mainly, the NCAA taking away scholarships and practice hours due to the shenanigans of the prior coaching staff.  At the same time Maryland was joining the Big Ten.  He was a victim of bad timing to some degree.

I'd welcome taking a look at Edsall.  Still like the idea of any OC or DC, but I'd look at Edsall...if, he'd look at us.  

Problem for us, as predicted, is that bigger programs are jettisoning coaches more quickly than we are.  So, it's likely our search will begin after many of the best candidates have been interviewed and offered. 

That's why I always go back to guys like Cornelsen at Memphis.  He's doing well, but probably flying under the radar moreso than the Major Applewhites, etc. of the world.  For now, that seems to be our lot. 

I wish we could just buy a winner the way Baylor did with Briles, but....

The thing about Solich is that after Nebraska cut him loose, he spent the next year traveling around visiting coaching staffs to see what he needed to do to be successful in the future.  It's paid off for him...and Ohio:

Within a few days of his firing, he turned down the Army job, wanting more time to sort out his future.

"There was a very short period of time [when] I wasn't so sure I wanted to jump back into this thing," Solich says. "That was short, a matter of days.

"The best thing I did was get out and travel to other programs, which I did for a year."

Solich's tour took him to Miami, Southern California, Oklahoma and Texas, sometimes more than once. He visited NFL teams in an effort to stay fresh, pick up ideas.

"It was almost like recruiting, living on the road for almost a whole season," he says. "It kept the fire burning as far as wanting to coach."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-08-28/sports/0508280146_1_peden-stadium-frank-solich-nebraska-coach

do you think it had more to do with him only knowing how to run a dated offense in an increasingly pass happy world?  It seems that's the only reason he would have needed to do that...

Ohio still runs that ball quite a bit.  So far this season, they have run 227 times and passed 176.  Solich will always have a team that can run.  I think his tour was about how to complement his run scheme with passing. 

You can't really argue the guy's success up there either. 

no you can't.  I agree. But solich was running the wishbone at Nebraska. So changing it to what he did still required a lot of know-how since he was REALLY old school with his stuff.