Is Mc Nulty the ENTIRE Problem?

DallasGreen

For all the whinning about the QB play against SMU. I also feel the lack of defense and the "give up" attitude shown in the 4th quarter had a lot to do with an embarrassing game outcome before one of the best away crowds ever. I know I will be criticised that the defense was on the field too long, but that is going to happen against any hurry up offense. The SMU QB was very agile as will be the Rice QB. Will the defense again check it in? Just maybe they can get in shape to play an entire game and compete in the 4th quarter unlike the no show against SMU at the end. 

To answer your Main question YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The offensive play calling was awful but when you have such a terrible QB at the helm, it doesnt make things better.

As for the highlighted part, ARE YOU HIGH? I personally thought the defense was bad ass all game until they eventual wore out because they were on the damn field the whole game. We could have the best conditioned team in the nation but if they are on the field for 35 minutes they will start to break down. They whooped our butts in Time of Possession by more than 10 minutes. I hate to break it to ya Big D but our Defense is gonna help us win more games than our Damn offense.

• Upvote 1

For all the whinning about the QB play against SMU. I also feel the lack of defense and the "give up" attitude shown in the 4th quarter had a lot to do with an embarrassing game outcome before one of the best away crowds ever. I know I will be criticised that the defense was on the field too long, but that is going to happen against any hurry up offense. The SMU QB was very agile as will be the Rice QB. Will the defense again check it in? Just maybe they can get in shape to play an entire game and compete in the 4th quarter unlike the no show against SMU at the end. 

You sound how I imagine Hitler sounded in his bunker in April of 1945 screaming at generals because their annihilated armies are underperforming.

Edited by UNTexas

The ENTIRE problem is the failure to recruit an FBS QB.

Need proof?

See La. Tech last year. They solved a QB problem and became a bowl team. 

See UTSA last year. They lost a legit FBS QB, didn't have another one, and fell to 3-9, even though just about every one of the other starters returned. 

If you have a good FBS QB, you win in CUSA. If you don't, you won't.

And forget about good FBS QB, we don't even have a below average FBS QB on this roster (except for maybe Smith, but he can't even get to 2nd team, so).

It's a recipe for a 2 win season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Either there are a lot more people than i thought let in to those practices, or there is a lot of guessing going on.  For all I know McNulty might be a better runner than Smith.  

Again, I don't think the defense should have been that tired in the fourth.  They went from border line great to pure garbage because they all got tired at once?  Good defenses don't do that.  

The defense definitely gave us hope, but don't make excuses for the four quarter collapse.  I guess if we play better offenses than smu, which we surely will, they will fold earlier.  How about an average offense, does the defense have problems later in the fourth quarter?  

The truth is that after NT took the late lead, either the SMU offense got much better, or NT's defense got a lot worse.  I have always wondered why a high octane offense doesn't get tired, but the defense does.  No one said the SMU offense was tired when they couldn't score after multiple chances inside the ten.

• Upvote 2

It is hard to have faith in a head coach that at the end of the season, publicly states our team has issues with production at the QB position, and then doesn't adequately address the issue before the next season begins. Other programs can get Quarterbacks and have them ready to play. Why can't we? Why are we viewed as wrong for expecting this from our coach?

I don't like to complain publicly about our problem with the athletic program, but something needs to change and fast. I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut. At my job, if I produced comparable performance for my work, I'd be fired.

• Upvote 1

The only thing I'll say about this is, if McCarney ends up canned at the end of this season, I am almost certain he will get picked up as a DC somewhere.

Don't take that to the bank, age and health issues don't make him a good hire for anyone. That and the fact that he has not evolved with the college game of today.

To answer your Main question YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The offensive play calling was awful but when you have such a terrible QB at the helm, it doesnt make things better.

As for the highlighted part, ARE YOU HIGH? I personally thought the defense was bad ass all game until they eventual wore out because they were on the damn field the whole game. We could have the best conditioned team in the nation but if they are on the field for 35 minutes they will start to break down. They whooped our butts in Time of Possession by more than 10 minutes. I hate to break it to ya Big D but our Defense is gonna help us win more games than our Damn offense.

SMU's offense was out there as long as our defense and they showed no signs of being tired and finished the game with ease. I just don't buy the "tired" excuse. Unmotivated and discouraged maybe but that is coaching.

According to Carlos Harris, it was quaterback--------->s<-------- that were missing throws. So, it's not just a McNulty issue, apparently. 

Either there are a lot more people than i thought let in to those practices, or there is a lot of guessing going on.  For all I know McNulty might be a better runner than Smith.  

Again, I don't think the defense should have been that tired in the fourth.  They went from border line great to pure garbage because they all got tired at once?  Good defenses don't do that.  

The defense definitely gave us hope, but don't make excuses for the four quarter collapse.  I guess if we play better offenses than smu, which we surely will, they will fold earlier.  How about an average offense, does the defense have problems later in the fourth quarter?  

The truth is that after NT took the late lead, either the SMU offense got much better, or NT's defense got a lot worse.  I have always wondered why a high octane offense doesn't get tired, but the defense does.  No one said the SMU offense was tired when they couldn't score after multiple chances inside the ten.

2 4th quarter turnovers and a 4th quarter uptempoed 3 and out can be the demise of a good defense. 

• Upvote 1

I've been driving my car around on a flat tire for a couple months.  Sure I outta change it but I think it's kinda unfair to blame the poor ride quality all on the flat when my air and fuel filters are kinda dirty as well. 

Drove home from work today with sparks flying off the rim of the blown tire.   Thought long and hard about putting on the spare... But I've never driven on that tire... WHAT IF IT GOES FLAT AS WELL??  Screw it..  I'm riding on the rim till it falls off. 

• Upvote 6

An offense is generally acting upon what it wants to do with the ball, while the defense (again, in general) is reacting and chasing.  This means different things per position, but it is the short answer to the bolded sentence above.

Edited by greenminer

Drove home from work today with sparks flying off the rim of the blown tire.   Thought long and hard about putting on the spare... But I've never driven on that tire... WHAT IF IT GOES FLAT AS WELL??  Screw it..  I'm riding on the rim till it falls off. 

You should think about giving them a test while up on a jack, to see which one spins better and looks better on your car.  I'm betting it's your current wheel, because NO ONE likes the donut.

• Upvote 1

It is kind of like giving your kid a cup of water and they spill it every time you do, eventually you get to the "what's the point?" place.

SMU killed Baylor in time of possession. Baylor's defense seemed ok in the second half even though they were missing two key starters. 

Defense played a good half and had a really nice stop to start the 3rd, then pretty much didn't stop them again. 

Interested to see what they do this week. 

Baylor was able to score quickly which doesn't make their efforts feel in vain.