At Wisconsin in 2019

BillySee58

What AD has ever brought better teams to Denton?  What AD has filled up out stadiums consistently?  I bring this up because it just might be more difficult than many of us realize to get teams to Denton. 

it's a different time and era in CFB. We either fight for these kind of games or we will eventually fall flat on our faces. A game at Iowa is a "bodybag" game, but if Iowa came into Denton THIS year it would easily be an "opportunity" game. The past is the past and I don't give a shit about what was. If we want to put ourselves on a platform we have to get a P5 win under our belts and it sure as shit isn't going to happen, especially with this head coach we have. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

SMU is a former SWC member and the team most of our fans hate.  Long term series in place.

Army is a service academy with a national following much larger than mid to lower tier P5's and is considered to be a P5 opponent when it comes to scheduling by the best P5 conference in the land.  We also have a long term H/H series with these guys.

What is it exactly that is being asked?  Unless we remove the paycheck game, we are not going to eliminate the FCS game.  Why torture yourself again and again and again?

• Upvote 6

What AD has ever brought better teams to Denton?  What AD has filled up out stadiums consistently?  I bring this up because it just might be more difficult than many of us realize to get teams to Denton. 

And that is exactly why we are here talking about the lack of product the AD is bringing. Not one AD has been able to achieve that. I know it is not impossible to do a lot of the stuff we ask of RV, I just think its the easy way out.

I should add, that I'm not expecting us to get big p5 names in here every year. Just give us that competitive G5's and lower P5's. Heck, I was all for TX State to come to our stadium. They aren't a  big name, but I can see a heck of a better advantage of playing them in Apogee over Portland State....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

it's a different time and era in CFB. We either fight for these kind of games or we will eventually fall flat on our faces. A game at Iowa is a "bodybag" game, but if Iowa came into Denton THIS year it would easily be an "opportunity" game. The past is the past and I don't give a shit about what was. If we want to put ourselves on a platform we have to get a P5 win under our belts and it sure as shit isn't going to happen, especially with this head coach we have. 

This here ^ is what I am saying. And totally agree with.

The ol' "we can't ever do this because UNT has never done it". We'll just take what we get, because that is what we are used to. We are never going to get a shot at getting our name known with the sorry work of RV , And the fact that we are ransacking the FCS league to get wins is ridiculous. I forgot to mention that not bringing Iowa to Denton, is another FU from RV. Thanks @Ben Gooding, I'll just add that one to the RV list.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

RV is complacent. He has no pressure to perform better. I would rate his hires below average. Outside of JJ (did he hire JJ?)  the other hires have been bad in the major sports (Verdict is out on Mac). I have seen post of ppl defending his scheduling, but is anyone pleased? Last time I checked you try and please your clients, and the fans are his clients. It damn sure doesn't seem like any one is exuberant about this. This scheduling is getting bad and appears to be lazy work. Lastly, this is as much a BOR problem as it is RV. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

RV is complacent. He has no pressure to perform better. I would rate his hires below average. Outside of JJ (did he hire JJ?)  the other hires have been bad in the major sports (Verdict is out on Mac). I have seen post of ppl defending his scheduling, but is anyone pleased? Last time I checked you try and please your clients, and the fans are his clients. It damn sure doesn't seem like any one is exuberant about this. This scheduling is getting bad and appears to be lazy work. Lastly, this is as much a BOR problem as it is RV. 

You just won the internet...the only thing I would argue though, is that his "clients" to please are the BOR and the few monied donors around here, with whom he has been amazingly adored for years now. I'm telling you, he has the AD job here as long as he wants it.

The AD thinks his major scheduling coups are getting long-standing series with Army and SMU. The ADs monied friends think tailgating is the end-all-be-all for us and that RV basically deserves a lifetime contract for opening up this up to the fans. The BOR thinks he is awesome at staying in budget and not publicly causing any problems. Both Army and SMU should be the second OOC game scheduled with at least someone like them, i.e., Ball State, Texas State, or some other FBS team, but instead we get Portland State, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian. His hires have been below average, at best, for the three revenue sports in his tenure, of which he has hired or extended Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney who have led us to a .374 winning percentage in his tenure, as well as Shanice Stephens and Mike Petersen, who absolutely sucked as coaches for the women's team, and Tony Benford, who has single-handedly crushed the one decent program we have had in the last ten years. And most likely, unless Benford does something he hasn't yet done, which is finish above .500, even with several NAIA teams to play, he will get replaced this year, leaving us with yet another chance to see who RV hires.

• Upvote 3

So that completely fills out the paycheck games through 2020.  Our first chance to schedule a home/home with ANYONE will be 2021.

Unless y'all really enjoy prognosticating 6 years out, you can stop with all of the "I wish we could schedule <XYZ teams> as a home/home series" threads and comments please.

The reason we must schedule these paycheck games is because we cannot fill Apogee.   If that changes in the next 3 years or so, then maybe we can start looking at scheduling a home/home with someone in 2022.

filling Apogee is the responsibility of the AD. He has failed, which leads to a failure in scheduling. 

And it's far less work to just whore yourself instead of doing things to improve yourself.

#easywayout

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

The money games are definitely not going away. I can live with that and really don't mind it at all. I'm even okay with the fact that we don't get return games from the P5. Along with the money, it gives our guys the opportunity to play in elite stadiums in front of crowds three times the size of Apogee's capacity every year. If we can't compete, we need to improve. Only one of these games should be scheduled per season, however. 

Like other posters have already stated, the real nut-kick is scheduling Portland, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian. Outsiders see these teams on our schedule and believe that we play on the same level as they do. Again, why not try go get 1/1 with New Mexico, Tulsa, Tulane, Ark. St., Yew-LaLa, Texas St., etc.?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

filling Apogee is the responsibility of the AD. He has failed, which leads to a failure in scheduling. 

And it's far less work to just whore yourself instead of doing things to improve yourself.

#easywayout

If it's Rick's job to fill up Apogee, then he needs to start eating more Taco Bueno & Whataburger.  Even then, I don't think he'll ever be that big.

Now, you may be able to say it's the football team's (coach staff & players) job, and that might merit more weight.

But Rick gave us all what we wanted when he scheduled a beatable P5 team as a home/home.   We failed to fill Apogee.  Cant afford (financially) to do that again without the paycheck game.

And he could come up with a million ideas to pander reduced-price or even free tickets to people in Denton to show up (think the KFC deal for UTSA), but when the interest isn't there, as evidenced... well, FOREVER... the interest just isn't there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it's Rick's job to fill up Apogee, then he needs to start eating more Taco Bueno & Whataburger.  Even then, I don't think he'll ever be that big.

Now, you may be able to say it's the football team's (coach staff & players) job, and that might merit more weight.

But Rick gave us all what we wanted when he scheduled a beatable P5 team as a home/home.   We failed to fill Apogee.  Cant afford (financially) to do that again without the paycheck game.

And he could come up with a million ideas to pander reduced-price or even free tickets to people in Denton to show up (think the KFC deal for UTSA), but when the interest isn't there, as evidenced... well, FOREVER... the interest just isn't there.

How do you expect us to fill a stadium full of fans from one game that happened in 2011? It's Rick's job to fill Apogee with fans, because its his job, period. The product we have seen from him is beyond poor. You can't blame the team only in this situation. Yeah, us having losing season's is probably one of the biggest attendance killers in CFB. But the lack of trying from RV is just comical at this point.

Plus, you would think... That us beating a P5 team in Denton in 2011 would be the perfect example as to why we need to bring a team like Iowa here. We aren't going to fill Apogee off paycheck games, 5 home game seasons, FCS squash games, whoring ourselves to the P5 wolves. buying ourselves out helps us keep the money in check, but we are just putting a band-aid over a problem, that could have been solved, if we had a AD that would do his dang job with a passion and determination.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Like other posters have already stated, the real nut-kick is scheduling Portland, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian. Outsiders see these teams on our schedule and believe that we play on the same level as they do. Again, why not try go get 1/1 with New Mexico, Tulsa, Tulane, Ark. St., Yew-LaLa, Texas St., etc.?

The whole reason (or a major reason) we have those teams come in is because we buy them as guarantee games to balance out our away guarantee games.  If you replace guarantee home games with Portland State and Incarnate Word with a 1/1 with Tulane, you have no shot at a 6-game home schedule the year you play at Tulane.

Apparently you forget whose responsibility it is to hire a coach to win games and therefore fill the stadium.

Its ok, you aren't the only one...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

And that is exactly why we are here talking about the lack of product the AD is bringing. Not one AD has been able to achieve that. I know it is not impossible to do a lot of the stuff we ask of RV, I just think its the easy way out.

I should add, that I'm not expecting us to get big p5 names in here every year. Just give us that competitive G5's and lower P5's. Heck, I was all for TX State to come to our stadium. They aren't a  big name, but I can see a heck of a better advantage of playing them in Apogee over Portland State....

Look at the post above your's and answer that question.

• Downvote 1

The whole reason (or a major reason) we have those teams come in is because we buy them as guarantee games to balance out our away guarantee games.  If you replace guarantee home games with Portland State and Incarnate Word with a 1/1 with Tulane, you have no shot at a 6-game home schedule the year you play at Tulane.

right, and who put us in that scheduling position?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Damn. You're right. That sucks. 

Maybe, schedule a P5 every other year?

Edited by GangGreen
  • Upvote 2

We could have the best AD money could buy and he/she ain't getting a big time team here consistently until we sell out Apogee consistently.  And that #1 AD ain't filling Apogee until the culture changes in Denton and at UNT.  That is my point.  It is easy to criticize the man until you have to walk in his shoes.  I hope Ben Gooding understands this since I didn't drop any obscenities  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

SMU is a former SWC member and the team most of our fans hate.  Long term series in place.

Army is a service academy with a national following much larger than mid to lower tier P5's and is considered to be a P5 opponent when it comes to scheduling by the best P5 conference in the land.  We also have a long term H/H series with these guys.

What is it exactly that is being asked?  Unless we remove the paycheck game, we are not going to eliminate the FCS game.  Why torture yourself again and again and again?

to do what you said you were going to do when you sold Apogee Stadium to this fan base, when you sold club seats to club seat holders.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We could have the best AD money could buy and he/she ain't getting a big time team here consistently until we sell out Apogee consistently.  And that #1 AD ain't filling Apogee until the culture changes in Denton and at UNT.  That is my point.  It is easy to criticize the man until you have to walk in his shoes.  I hope Ben Gooding understands this since I didn't drop any obscenities  

That AD WILL change the culture in Denton, through great coaching hires>more victories>better attendance.

He will also stop bending over and spreading UNT's collective cheeks for P5s and will be able to schedule a one and one with a P5 that our fans want to see. 

Sad as thing is we will have to wait until RV retires to see if the next AD knows how to build a program. No one is going to force him out. Easiest 300k job in America.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

So we need a paycheck game every year at their stadium? I don't think this really answers the problem honestly.

If we commit to a 1/1 with say, Tulane, then there is a chance (a large one) that one year our OOC looks like this:

Body Bag game (AWAY)

SMU (AWAY)

Tulane (AWAY)

That leaves room for 1 OOC home game + our home CUSA schedule.

I think that is what they are suggesting.