Delete "University of", leave" Longhorn Football"

SilverEagle

I listened to Patterson speak last year and IMHO, he is the poster child for where college athletics has headed.  He was hired as a "corporate CEO" who's sole job is to build up the UT athletic bank account. Forget the athletes and their education.  His big idea is to take the Longhorn Brand worldwide.  Maybe athletic kiosks in Chinese cities and other populous countries selling whorn hats and jerseys.

• Upvote 4

He wrote a letter to UT alums which basically stated his support of a system which benefited the power programs like UT.  He basically stated the smaller programs were not worthy and didn't deserve playoff bowl access etc.. I wasn't surprised at his opinion but I found it extremely arrogant on his part to put it in writing.  I wasn't a big DeLoss Dodds fan either but he wouldn't have done something like that.

There are 2 ways as to look at this. 1 - The article is spot on. 2 - The staff is use to getting discounts and doesn't like being treated like the general public on prices?

Its a big business. What do they expect? Just like the many pro sports, especially the NFL, they are pricing people out of the market to be regulars at games. G5 doesn't seem so bad sometimes...

Oh, I almost forgot, their AD sounds like a dick and I don't feel sorry for any of them.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

There are 2 days as to look at this. 1 - The article is spot on. 2 - The staff is use to getting discounts and doesn't like being treated like the general public on prices?

Its a big business. What do they expect? Just like the many pro sports, especially the NFL, they are pricing people out of the market to be regulars at games. G5 doesn't seem so bad sometimes...

Oh, I almost forgot, their AD sounds like a dick and I don't feel sorry for any of them.

Exactly.  The supporters of programs like UT have for years loved to look down their noses and belittle other programs, and now all of a sudden many of those supporters are finding out how insignificant they are in the bigger picture.  Thanks for your years of loyal support, now GTFO so we can make room for some new fans from Shanghai and Dubai because they have a lot more money than you do. 

No worries, there is plenty of room on the Mean Green bandwagon. 

• Upvote 3

@SilverEagle, I'm sure you didn't miss this part:

* Texas band director Rob Carnochan just quit to take another job (at Miami) after Patterson cut $250,000 out of the band budget last year, resulting in less travel for the full band and a first-ever $132 fee charged to members to pay for their own practice and travel gear.

The full Texas band used to go to every in-state football game. But under Patterson, the full band no longer goes to Texas Tech, a longstanding rival of the Texas band. UT now sends only a “pep band” of section leaders. In 2015-16, the full band will go to the Texas-OU game and to either TCU or Baylor – but not both.

Edited by Stix
Use @ feature (or try to, anyway)
  • Upvote 2

How is it that he thinks they are short on cash?

He doesn't think that they are short on cash. He just thinks that there is no such thing as "enough money". And of course he places no value on fans emotions and perceptions of fairness.

He will have a hard time explaining what went wrong, when there will not be that many asian rich boys showing up, because those would rather spend money on watching the best players (NFL), if they get into football at all. He sure reminds a lot of People of the former AD of Michigan. It will likely end similarly too. Once people start seeing the empty spots in the stands, and the feeling of the atmosphere being good goes down, those who are still paying will start wondering why quite quickly. But more importantly the Board that named him, will start realising what his policies actually cost the university.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

He's setting himself up for a fall.  More appropriately, they should be called the 'Austin Longhorns', just like any other semi pro teams.  College professors complaining is nothing new, however.

• Upvote 1

I want the P5s to break away, in part, because of douches like Steve Patterson. Take your 60-70 schools and start your NFL and NBA minor leagues, without limits to how much you pay 18-22 year old kids. Go for it. Let your P5 media drool over your league and pay out the extraordinary money you already do to fallate them.

Then leave the rest of us the hell alone to actually field amateur teams to represent our schools and our alumni.

I'd have no problem at all in watching the G5s and the top FCS teams join forces to form a competitive level of play in football, basketball, and other sports. There's no way we can win a national championship in a major sport right now, but we could if our level of play was what I described above, with rosters full of teams of kids that are compensated by having a full ride for tuition, fees, books, and room and board.

Our level gets about 2% of the national coverage that's available. I'd still take a FCS like playoff for football and implement a double-elimination basketball tournament like the College baseball playoff system currently runs. I think there would still be a market for this level of play, even if it was finally deemed officially lower than the P5s. We all would still go to Apogee to watch us play SMU in a football game or UTEP in a basketball game, even if we weren't at the highest level anymore.

• Upvote 2