Starting QB emerges during North Texas spring drills

Harry

The offense is dictated by what the QB can and can't do. It all lays at the feet of the QB. They're the leader, the decision maker, the play changer, the offenses most important position. I also understand that other teams face 8/9 fronts, but we face them a lot. We also face secondaries that don't respect us and live with their eyes in the backfield all while cheating up severely and at times completely ignoring their assignment. I mean, would you do anything differently against us? I'd play a 4-4 1 deep vs us every play. I'd A-gap blitz the shit out of us bc once McNulty gets flustered we're done. Let's all hope he has made strides and also that play calling is a vast improvement.

The offense is dictated by what the QB can and can't do. It all lays at the feet of the QB. They're the leader, the decision maker, the play changer, the offenses most important position. I also understand that other teams face 8/9 fronts, but we face them a lot. We also face secondaries that don't respect us and live with their eyes in the backfield all while cheating up severely and at times completely ignoring their assignment. I mean, would you do anything differently against us? I'd play a 4-4 1 deep vs us every play. I'd A-gap blitz the shit out of us bc once McNulty gets flustered we're done. Let's all hope he has made strides and also that play calling is a vast improvement.

mcnulty is part of the problem. only part. DT faced 8 and 9 in the box too, and he is a UNT HOF.

from a secondary's standpoint, when you face UNT, who are you scared of? thats why safeties are sneaking up. we had no one to beat teams deep other than harris.

i have seen bad qbs look decent when the weapons around them are good. mcnulty wasnt good. his weapons were not either. i guaranteed you no one was worried about pegram.

• Upvote 1

im uncertain about the oline, but i dont see it being a big drop off from last season. last season was not good. can it get worse? yes. but that would mean we have guys out there that probably dont deserve to be on a D1 field.

ybarbo was hurt, but had to start games, cause of depth issues. mckinney was borderline D1 talent. his speed and weight hurt him. he was late on blocks a lot. he was a D1 reserve. capable of coming in and doing a good job while he is fresh. once he is tired, its over.

the dreams of having a smash mouth offensive line seems to be over. if we couldnt pull it off with 4 returning vets, it just wont be done. now we seem to have a system designed for the talent and team. we are young and have some depth, so we are going with the hurry up. looks like our strategy this year is rotating fresh guys in and trying to wear out the other teams defense.

that quick pace will have an impact on our own defense to. we will need depth and have to rotate guys on our defense too.

Let's not overreact here. I think we all knew this was coming. Chico has made a living with quarterbacks with similar stat lines. And like many of you have mentioned, I think we will be better at the skilled positions than last year so McNulty will be surrounded with better talent. I think Wilson gives a huge, big play spark that we severely lacked a season ago and our receiving corp, while young, sounds like they are very talented. Lastly, lets not put this all at the feet of our quarterback. We had a rough season last year because we downgraded across the board, not just at quarterback. Our defense took a huge step back and our offensive line severely underachieved. With this schedule, we may only win 6 or 7 games at best, buy I truly believe will be much improved from a year ago. If anything else, knowing who will be under center to start this season gives this team a chance to focus on other areas and not focus strictly on one of 22 starters.

I think both of you have hit on the keys for this season "hurry up... rotating fresh guys in and trying to wear out the other teams defense" and "Chico has made a living with quarterbacks with similar stat lines. ...we will be better at the skilled positions than last year...I truly believe will be much improved from a year ago." I like the idea that Mac & Chico have gone to a hurry up offense also I get the sense that we will be seeing a lot more passes in the flat along with screens and let the running backs & tight ends do their job of running and blocking. The biggest question in my mind for this season is can we stay healthy. If so then maybe UNT goes bowling!

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of the quarterback and how they can change an offense. However, unlike most, I think we can win with McNulty. Do I think he is going to set the world on fire? Absolutely not. Do I wish we had better options on the table? Of course. But I do think he can manage the offense, play within the confines of the overall game plan (offensively and defensively), and allow other playmakers to do just that, make plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

McNulty in his senior season will be DT 2.0 - and some who shake their head about AM insist DT should be first ballot HOF.

this.

people want to spin DT as a hero with talent that was waiting for the coaching to finally catch up.

when someone brings up 2012 DT, we hear all kinds of excuses.

then the DT Sr season comparisons to McNulty's Jr year. and on top of that, they ignore the fact that DT had better wrs, rbs, line, and a nasty defense.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of the quarterback and how they can change an offense. However, unlike most, I think we can win with McNulty. Do I think he is going to set the world on fire? Absolutely not. Do I wish we had better options on the table? Of course. But I do think he can manage the offense, play within the confines of the overall game plan (offensively and defensively), and allow other playmakers to do just that, make plays.

I think he has to do more than just be a game manager. He doesnt have a top notch D to protect him. He has to get the offense in the endzone a lot. He has to better than DT was if we are going to win 6 games. Thats asking a lot of him and I dont think he can do it.

• Upvote 1

I think 8 and 9 man defensive fronts hurt us far more than any injuries.

When the other team has less than zero respect for your ability and willingness to throw the football, it's going to be VERY hard to run the ball.

I don't think that was last year's Oline's fault.

I also don't see that changing this year.

5 never blocked 8 and 9, and never will.

But hey, "SPEEDING" back up to the LOS to quickly handoff 8 yards deep is surely going to garner better results, right?

Rick

• Upvote 1

But hey, "SPEEDING" back up to the LOS to quickly handoff 8 yards deep is surely going to garner better results, right?

Rick

so our 5 olinemen had to block 8 and 9 players? this myth is getting out of hand.

8 and 9 in the box does not mean we faced a goaline defense when we ran the ball. come on now.

DeMarcus Smith, please, please, save us all. I'll have to gouge my eyes out before the season starts if Smith can't come in here and win the starting role in fall camp......

I'm not a DT nutswinger, but I've never seen anything out of MiniMac that shows he's a legite FBS QB. DT was on the lower rung of FBS QB's, but you would at least admit he belonged. Harsh words about our QB's, but some of you need to take off the green colored glasses.

Edited by Got5onIt

I think he has to do more than just be a game manager. He doesnt have a top notch D to protect him. He has to get the offense in the endzone a lot. He has to better than DT was if we are going to win 6 games. Thats asking a lot of him and I dont think he can do it.

This, this and this.

Am will have to be better than DT for North Texas to become bowl eligibility. I wish someone could manufacture the hidden yards in turnovers and defensive stops that were awarded to our offense in 2013. Let alone actual points. AM will not need to sling the football for 3000 yds, but what he will need to do is play decisive, mistake/turnover free football. Nothing that I have seen out of him up to this point convinced me that he'll be able to do that.

I really, really hope that some of you are right about the coaching staff tweaking the offense in preparation for D. Smiths arrival.

McNulty in his senior season will be DT 2.0 - and some who shake their head about AM insist DT should be first ballot HOF.

This is the most green cool-aid, spring hope, I gotta believe to make myself feel better post of this thread, and there have been a lot.

AM is nowhere near where DT was coming into their respective senior season. Not even close. AM doesn't have the arm strength to force defenses to respect the passing game. DT did. AM has not had one single game where the offense was opened up and he excelled. Remember that game against K-State DT's junior season? Where he basically was the offense? That type of game is nowhere to be found on AM's resume.

AM is what he is, a below average backup QB at the CUSA level. And that is great considering he had zero offers out of high school besides UNT. He has worked his ass off to maximize the talent he possesses. The problem is he just doesn't have a whole lot to maximize compared to our competitors and what they have at QB in CUSA.

Not his fault.

The inability to recruit and develop the QB position, or the belief that QB just isn't that important in the overall team picture for UNT, by this staff will cost this team dearly.

Praying that Smith makes his grades, possesses the talent to start at the CUSA level, and is given that opportunity by a bull headed Coach McCarney. That trifecta will take a miracle, which is why I am the least excited about a college football season than I have been since I became a season ticket holder, and that was in the Dodge years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

Probably not. But maybe the coaches' willingness to adapt new offensive tempos means they are adopting other new strategies/changes, too.

I'm right there with you, though: believe it when I see it.

good point.

if this is the case, then we are in trouble. even if he is DT 2.0, if our defense isnt better than last year, we are just playing for 2016.

8-9 man fronts are effective agains teams that cannot throw downfield with any accuracy. It gets even more effective whenyour opponent's defense cannot put pressure ont eh QB and force turnovers. Hence, the difference between UNT 2013 and UNT ever other season since 2005.

Look, McNulty is a bus driver, nothing more, nothing less. He is a hand-it-off QB and throw bubble screens and short manageable passes QB. If this thing surprises us on offense,, its only because Wilson and Jimmerson have breakaway capabilities, especially in the backfield and at the LOS, where those 8-9 man fronts will present trouble. I can tell you this--our defense and special teams aren't at a 2013 level, where frequent TOs and big kickoff and punt returns gave DT's offense great field position or leads. McNulty won't have any of that.

But, just in case you are still convinced that we are going to be similar to 2013's Mean Green, lets' compare the schedules:

Idaho--W over worst FBS team

@Ohio--L in a close game against asolid opponent where our QB threw a pick 6, IIRC

Ball State-W at home in the afternoon of a sweltering day

@Georgia--L, but special teams and defense kept us in it well into the 4th quarter

@Tulane--L to a good CUSA opponent, who stakced the box against us and dared us to pass, which we didn't do

MUTS--W--we dominated them

@La tech--W--clobbered them on the road in Skip Holtz's first season

@Southern Miss--W--clobbered them in coach's first season

Rice--W--great win on Halloween where the defense and running game just pounded the Owls into submission

UTEP--W--clobbered a really bad team on Homecoming

UTSA--L--bad QB play caused us to lose, while their QB played great

@Tulsa--W--crushed a really abd Tulsa team

UNLV--W--HoD bowl game win in DT's best game ever

@SMU--still a terrible FBS team, one of the absolute worst in football

Rice--HIgh quality CUSA opponent, basicallly who we are striving to be

@Iowa--Bodybag game I

@Southern Miss--we gave them their only CUSA win last year in Denton

Portland State--FCS team that no one in Texas cares about

Western Kentucky--solid CUSA opponent, another program to emulate--get them on Thursday night

@Marshall--one of the best G5 progrmas last year, will be epically tough on the road

UTSA--our kryptonite

@La Tech--becoming a solid team that befits their tradition of being a really good G5 program

@Tennessee--Bodybag number 2

@MUTS--have gotten their act together again

UTEP-- vastly improved team from the last time they were in Denton

I see 2 teams that are almost absolute wins: @SMU and Portland State--lose either of those and you are in DEEP trouble.

I see 2 teams that are possible wins--UTSA and UTEP

I see 5 teams that a win is possible, but not probable--Rice, @USM, WKU, @La Tech, and @ MUTS

I see 1 team that won't pay us to pound us into the ground-- at Marshall

I see 2 teams that will pay us to beat us into submission--at Iowa and at Tennessee

Our 2013 team would probably go 7-5 against this schedule, maybe 8-4 again.

This year's team should get McCarney coach of the year votes if they finish .500 or better, because I see 4 games that are possible to probable wins, of which I think we win 3 (UTSA owns us...)

• Upvote 1

Correction on La Tech game... North Texas didn't clobber anyone that day. What they did to us at home in 2014 was a clobbering. To play devils advocate to that 2013 team, a season in which I enjoyed thoroughly...

We all hype that season/team up, but we could have EASILY lost vs Ball St, @ LaTech and vs Rice. Of the games we lost we could have won, if it weren't for atrocious QB play, vs utsa. We could have EASILY been 5-7 and yet another forgettable season could have transpired in Denton, Texas.

The point I'm making is that each season brings a new and unknown dynamic to the table. None of us really know what to expect. None of us really knew what to expect heading into 2013. To write these dudes off in April is flat ignorant. Our best season in maybe the last 15 years COULD have been a 5-7 showcasing if the ball had bounced the wrong way a few times. We can compare our current talent with that talent, but again that season could have blown up in our faces on that hot day vs Ball St. So, we will not know until the end.

• Upvote 1

Correction on La Tech game... North Texas didn't clobber anyone that day. What they did to us at home in 2014 was a clobbering. To play devils advocate to that 2013 team, a season in which I enjoyed thoroughly...

We all hype that season/team up, but we could have EASILY lost vs Ball St, @ LaTech and vs Rice. Of the games we lost we could have won, if it weren't for atrocious QB play, vs utsa. We could have EASILY been 5-7 and yet another forgettable season could have transpired in Denton, Texas.

The point I'm making is that each season brings a new and unknown dynamic to the table. None of us really know what to expect. None of us really knew what to expect heading into 2013. To write these dudes off in April is flat ignorant. Our best season in maybe the last 15 years COULD have been a 5-7 showcasing if the ball had bounced the wrong way a few times. We can compare our current talent with that talent, but again that season could have blown up in our faces on that hot day vs Ball St. So, we will not know until the end.

Or...

To be fair, if we were more aggressive on offense earlier in the Ohio, Tulane, and UTSA game, we could have been 12-1 and nationally ranked.

It certainly cuts both ways.

True. But that would have required the QB play to be up to par. Which it wasn't. Which is UNT's problem going on ______ years.

Best QB we have had in a VERY long time.

Hard to make throws when you are only allowed to throw the ball when the defense knows it's coming.

Better offensive balance in 2014 would have led to at least 2 more wins (UTSA and Tulane) and very possibly 3. When everyone in the stadium knows what you are going to do on just about every play, that's a problem. It was a huge one in these games.

Almost 70% running on first down. Throw in bubble screens and other routes under 10 yards and you would easily have over 95% of the first down offense in 2014.

That's not balanced and not an effect way to make your offense successful.

• Downvote 1