Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

I don't know but UNT has a history of being disrespectful to "controversial" speakers. I don't know if left-leaning speakers have been as disrespected by opposing viewpoints as right-leaning speakers.

We're a left-leaning school. If a liberal politician spoke at Texas Tech or A&M, would you expect a welcoming response?

We're a left-leaning school. If a liberal politician spoke at Texas Tech or A&M, would you expect a welcoming response?

Again, I don't know. The treatment of distinguished speakers is embarrassing though. It just looks poorly on the university.

EDIT: Let me revise that. If this hubbub ends up forcing UNT to rescind its invitation to Governor Abbot, I will do all in my limited power to stop any Democrat from ever addressing the student body again.

*at commencement. Most people support him in DLS and I've never seen a petition here for Bush, Rice or Gates.

Edited by Ryan Munthe

*at commencement. Most people support him in DLS and I've never seen a petition here for Bush, Rice or Gates.

I just hope there is no complaining if Abbott's invitation to speak is rescinded and a lower quality speaker is used in his place. There are consequences for everyone's actions.

• Upvote 2

I just hope there is no complaining if Abbott's invitation to speak is rescinded and a lower quality speaker is used in his place. There are consequences for everyone's actions.

Do you think these people care about the *quality* of speaker? As long as they get their way, they'll be happy, regardless of the positivity or negativity of the result.

• Upvote 2

There will be. From people like UNT90. He should've never been booked in the first place and it's a symptom of the disconnect between the administration and students. You wouldn't see heavily liberal speakers talking at heavily conservative schools. That, in addition to the fact that in a year in which I got MUCH LESS than my student fees pay for, that UNT cheaped out on the speaker due to poor financial situation after swearing up and down it wouldn't affect us makes me even more angry. I'm dedicated to the athletic side, but the academic side has burned a lot of bridges with me my last year. Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 5

What's that old saying about if you want to be one of the big boys you need to act like your one. The more I hear UNT followers the more I understand why we struggle to become Tier 1. I could care lees if your a republican or a democrat - this is the Governor of our state. The way he is treated here could have an impact on UNT one day if a bill crosses his desk to benefit UNT. Be happy were not U of H paying freaking Matthew McConaughey over $100K to speak.

• Upvote 4

What's that old saying about if you want to be one of the big boys you need to act like your one. The more I hear UNT followers the more I understand why we struggle to become Tier 1. I could care lees if your a republican or a democrat - this is the Governor of our state. The way he is treated here could have an impact on UNT one day if a bill crosses his desk to benefit UNT. Be happy were not U of H paying freaking Matthew McConaughey over $100K to speak.

Most Tier 1 schools don't get politicians to do commencement addresses.

Preempting A&M/Perry arguments--Perry is an Aggie. That's different.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 3

My other alma mater had Obama for commencement last spring, and they are most certainly Tier 1.

I wanna see the reaction THAT would cause if he were to address UNT's commencement. I mean, it's not often you get a sitting president telling you to go forth into the world, you're the future, yada yada yada.

• Upvote 3

What about LBJ at UT? What about President G.H.W. Bush at UT? What about George W. Bush at A&M? What about Colorado governor Bill Owens at UT? You can look at Harvard, UT, any of the big boys' lists of commencement speakers--they're filled with politicians of some kind or another. And choosing the governor of your own state should be far less controversial than any other politician.

• Upvote 3

And that's a bad idea, too. But it helped us get tier one, right?

Didn't spur protests.

While in theory I sort of agree having a politician as a speaker is a potential lightning rod situation, it is done all the time. By big name, prestigious, schools. If anything, it just shows we're trying to be big time too.

• Upvote 3

Since 1985, Harvard has had only one non alum active US politician speak at their commencement.

"Big guys."

I count at least two.

1997 Madeleine Albright U.S. Secretary of State

1993 Colin Powell Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

I am assuming you don't count Alan Greenspan as a "politician," although he was certainly at the center of U.S. policy at the time.

And, of course, there are still Harvard grads, foreign politicians, and retired/inactive politicians. So yes, they are filled with politicians of some kind or another.

At the least, they certainly aren't reticent about choosing politicians, active and inactive, as commencement speakers.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Who wants to be beholden to idiots anyway?

I know. Just think of the mentality and the behavior portrayed the past several months by college students and you'll see why the adults at the university won't give their opinions much weight.

31 kentucky fans arrested in an on campus riot after their basketball team loses last Saturday.

"F--k her in the P---y!"

"There will never be a N---er in SAE!!!"

SMU KA members expelled for hazing and drug and alcohol abuse.

"What do you think about Frank Kaminsky?"..."F--k that N---a!"

Yeah, what a great future we have to look forward to.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where did you get this info? The President usually speaks at one or two graduations a year, the Secty of State has spoken, most State Gov's speak every year, Condi Rice spoke, Senators speak, etc., etc. very common to have politicians speak...and at Tier One Universities as well.

But, one thing most here are missing...the commencement address is optional as I understand it and will be given at the joint "graduation" ceremony. Many Colleges within the University will hold their own graduation events where diplomas are given. Don't like the speaker...don't go. No biggie in my book. This is a lot of hot air about not much of anything. Getting the Gov on campus is a big plus for the University and its march toward Tier One status. Students are just being students. They will hit the "real world" soon enough. Give them this last college hurrah. No biggie. Doubtful that President Smatresk will change speakers. And, most of the threats regarding planned giving proposals are nothing more than bluster. If one's planned giving depends upon the political bent of a one time speaker, those doing the planning are pretty darn shallow people. Have they not seen our recent list of very very liberal speakers invited to campus? Pure theater here folks. The adults will prevail as they usually do in such situations.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What truth? That you're pathetic and try to charade yourself on GMG as some sort of top-notch donor when you're about as disgraceful an alum as it gets?

Just keep hiding behind your narcissism.

Lol. I don't hide behind anything, son.

So you are saying it's untrue that we have 100k disaffected alumni in the DFW area? Ok.

And I'm far from a "top notch" donor. Just a working stiff shelling out a pretty penny for football seats. The only involved alumni from my group of college friends, who could give two craps about anything UNT.

I understand you don't like it, but things like this hurt YOUR UNIVERSITY.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Who says it's negative? To UNT90's "real world" people it's negative. To others it shows that UNT students care about something enough to make their voice heard on the subject. Doubt you'd see a petition like this if UNT was a "commuter school." Furthermore, I'm not talking about his posts, I'm saying that UNT90 does more damage in the wild to our perception because there are thousands of people who share his attitude towards UNT, but don't gaslight through proclaiming superiority about his "donations" to do so. Which do you think is more toxic?

My attitude of actually expecting success?

My attitude of giving every year to my university?

Which exact attitude are you addressing?

Or are you just whining because you don't agree with my point of view?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Way to embarass your university and reinforce negative stereotypes.

I'm not really sure this university is embarrassed. There's really nothing to be embarrassed about. So what a few knucklehead college kids are not in favor of Abbott speaking at the commencement but most people don't care or are probably excited.

On the other side of things I saw just just as many knucklehead comments protesting against the speaking engagement of Laverne Cox at UNT and how the university is embarrassing itself and that's the reason why people don't give back and all that crap.

I really think this story is much ado about nothing and people are just complaining for no reason on every side. I for one am not the biggest Abbott fan but I'm pretty sure he's going to give a hell of a speech and be very personable and as Green P1 said it sure beats the hell out of a 3rd rate spare news reporter nobody has heard of. And I'm not the biggest fan of Wendy Davis either but if she spoke at my commencement I'd be just as happy.

The figures discussed are more in the four and five digit realm.

I'm Not sure why you would be dismissive of such.

Don't believe this. At all.

I would suggest double checking and making sure some of those who signed the petition aren't the ones making the calls...

I keep seeing people sling around the "left leaning school" comment, but is there any real data behind this. Sure you could throw out election results, but i would expect young liberals to vote at a much higher rate than young conservatives (speculation).

My guess is if you actually polled the student body you would find the average student to be center right much like the rest of the state. NT has a perception of being a small liberal arts school, but that is not necessarily reality. I'm not saying we are Liberty South, but also don't think this is still 1970s NT.

So long as the speech were not an egregious political diatribe I would be honored for any prominent leader to visit NT.

unsurprisingly, everything seems rather blown out of proportion here...so being that sage of reason, let's see if I can't reel things in (while of course using my indignant tone of superiority, so as to simultaneously ramp the emotions back up)

first, I've zero problem with Abbott being brought in to speak...and I have zero problem with those voicing opposition to his speaker-dom.

that would be disappointing and would reflect rather poorly on Abbott's character and hubris. it is a politically charged time...and he is a politician, and one who has to be aware, or at least has been made aware, of the pervasive political leanings of an institution like UNT. if a bit of internet dissent is enough to discourage him perhaps he wouldn't have made for a great person to impart life-lessons.

Do you think these people care about the *quality* of speaker? As long as they get their way, they'll be happy, regardless of the positivity or negativity of the result.

I mean, in the end...it is their commencement.

I know. Just think of the mentality and the behavior portrayed the past several months by college students and you'll see why the adults at the university won't give their opinions much weight.

remind me...you're stationed out in Aledo, right? wanna check your local or county police blotter and then come back and tell us how well the "adults" are doing?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1