Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

That's the real world, son. There are about 100k examples of such in the metroplex alone.

So, the answer is yes. You're part of the problem. Frankly, I don't really care how much you donate or buy club seats (because it's some sort of pathetic gaslighting attempt) because your attitude towards the university and the loathing nature you to have to the alumni and students is frankly disgraceful and disgusting.

It's a lot like your "son" comments. It's completely pathetic, and you think it claims you some sort of false superiority, that you are some gatekeeper to the "real world" and that UNT is simply what you think it is. It's narcissistic.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

So, the answer is yes. You're part of the problem. Frankly, I don't really care how much you donate or buy club seats (because it's some sort of pathetic gaslighting attempt) because your attitude towards the university and the loathing nature you to have to the alumni and students is frankly disgraceful and disgusting.

The truth hurts, eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Idiots who petition UNT to rescind an accepted invitation for the governor to speak at commencement are a much bigger part of the problem. I don't see ABC giving UNT negative press because of UNT90's posts on a message board.

Who says it's negative? To UNT90's "real world" people it's negative. To others it shows that UNT students care about something enough to make their voice heard on the subject. Doubt you'd see a petition like this if UNT was a "commuter school." Furthermore, I'm not talking about his posts, I'm saying that UNT90 does more damage in the wild to our perception because there are thousands of people who share his attitude towards UNT, but don't gaslight through proclaiming superiority about his "donations" to do so. Which do you think is more toxic?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh and Mike, I just learned that the Alumni Assc. is being inundated with calls of "if Abbott speaks at Commencement, you can kiss this planned gift goodbye." So...

It's a two way street. I refuse to donate to the general scholarship fund because of antics like this. COB and ITDS will get my hard earned dollars before I give anything to the university at large.

• Upvote 2

It's a two way street. I refuse to donate to the general scholarship fund because of antics like this. COB and ITDS will get my hard earned dollars before I give anything to the university at large.

Good to hear you want to punish all students because of a vocal minority.

It's a completely different situation, actually. The administration's doing, something that 1300 students feel is violating their personal rights as students graduating, should be able to be reflective of donations. How does this petition directly affect you other than you thinking it affects UNT in a negative way?

Edited by Ryan Munthe

Who says it's negative? To UNT90's "real world" people it's negative. To others it shows that UNT students care about something enough to make their voice heard on the subject. Doubt you'd see a petition like this if UNT was a "commuter school." Furthermore, I'm not talking about his posts, I'm saying that UNT90 does more damage in the wild to our perception because there are thousands of people who share his attitude towards UNT, but don't gaslight through proclaiming superiority about his "donations" to do so. Which do you think is more toxic?

Idiots who petition UNT to rescind an accepted invitation for the governor to speak at commencement. By far.

• Upvote 1

Well, I think you're wrong, so this argument is irrelevant.

Ah, a contradictory option from Ryan Munthe renders all other views irrelevant. Talk about narcissistic.

Considering that the group I identify as being a problem has a lot to do with creating the second that you identify as being a problem, it's undeniable in either view that the first group is a problem.

• Upvote 1

I fail to see how students being passionate about something and taking initiative is bad.

We've had students and protesters interrupt speakers in the past. I bet the same thing will happen to the Governor even if he is kept as the key note speaker. It is stunts like this that give the university a black eye and it embarrassing to some of its alumni.

I normally just roll my eyes as it's just childish antics at play.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

Ah, a contradictory option from Ryan Munthe renders all other views irrelevant. Talk about narcissistic.

Considering that the group I identify as being a problem has a lot to do with creating the second that you identify as being a problem, it's undeniable in either view that the first group is a problem.

Ah, yes, that's exactly what I said. Clearly. Not that our argument is pointless because we're not changing anyone's minds. Nope.

I wouldn't support ANY controversial political figure. Wendy Davis, anyone. There's a reason why UT goes for nonpartisan social leaders. Abbott's predecessor from the same party ripped on UNT routinely, drove us into the ground, and ignored his conservative constituents in Denton because he didn't respect the city or the institution. Abbott so far has insulted Denton voters and alienated many people who should've been able to focus on their day but now have to deal with protests, interruptions and booing. It's a poor decision any way you slice it.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We've had students and protesters interrupt speakers in the past. I bet it the same thing will happen to the Governor even if he is kept as the key note speaker. It is stunts like this that give the university a black eye and it embarrassing to some of its alumni.

I normally just roll my eyes as it's just childish antics at play.

Do you think this doesn't happen at other left-leaning universities?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guaran-(expletive)-tee that if it was the President or a Democratic Senator these same posters would be leading the protest charge. Guarantee it.

As I said previously, if a Democratic governor of Texas were to speak at UNT commencement, I would consider it an honor. Although I don't have any respect for Barack Obama as a person or in his performance of the duties he agreed to perform, I would consider it an honor that the President came to speak at commencement. I might find myself taking issue with things he said if he tried making a political statement, but I would in NO WAY try to stop his speaking there, either by petitioning, contacting people in high places, or threatening to withhold contributions.

EDIT: Let me revise that. If this hubbub ends up forcing UNT to rescind its invitation to Governor Abbot, I will do all in my limited power to stop any Democrat from ever addressing the student body again.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

Do you think this doesn't happen at other left-leaning universities?

I don't know but UNT has a history of being disrespectful to "controversial" speakers. I don't know if left-leaning speakers have been as disrespected by opposing viewpoints as right-leaning speakers.

• Upvote 1