Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

Referring to him as "a politician," i.e., "just a politician," is asinine. This is the governor of Texas!!! If Ann Richards would have given the commencement speech when she was governor, I would hope everyone would consider it an honor, regardless of party. Anyone who feels otherwise is a total jackwagon, plain and simple, end of story.

i-m-with-stupid-t-shirt-white-american-a

• Upvote 3

Because only 21 year old college kids believe that there should be equal rights, raped women shouldn't have to carry those babies to term, and Denton should have the ability to ban fracking within city limits. Also, this is the point of why it shouldn't be a politician in the first place.

Outside of maybe Nolan Ryan (big maybe), no current students would care about any of those people.

So students currently graduating from UNT are "loud mouthed, snot nosed children." Glad you made that clear. Here I thought it was their graduation.

No, just the ones that cried on Twitter about a sitting governor speaking at UNT. Notice how democrats never have this problem at speaking engagements? It's because the silent majority is just that.

And from your opening paragraph, it's plain that YOU don't want him here because of YOUR political beliefs.

Because I could easily say if it was Wendy Davis, I wouldn't want a woman who openly advocated for child murder, as neither would the conservative, religious students at UNT. I could also say that the conservative students wanted equal rights TO PRACTICE CHRISTIAN BELIEFS which would be another reason not to have Wendy Davis speak.

But I wouldn't do that, because I would expect Wendy Davis to talk about her struggle as a single mom, not politics.

So you and yours can keep throwing a childish fit because someone you don't agree with politically is speaking at UNT. You can act out at the commencement, getting bad pub for your university and yet again cause alumni to shake their head and thank god they got their diploma and got the hell outta there , thanking their lucky stars they never have to go back.

Or you can grow the F up and respect the position of governor, the fact that a VAST majority of voting Texans wanted this governor, and the fact that this could be a good moment for your university.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

No, just the ones that cried on Twitter about a sitting governor speaking at UNT. Notice how democrats never have this problem at speaking engagements? It's because the silent majority is just that.

I don't pretend to know what will happen if he remains the speaker. Comments on Twitter, Facebook, and the DRC article make me think students are vastly against it.

And from your opening paragraph, it's plain that YOU don't want him here because of YOUR political beliefs.

Because I could easily say if it was Wendy Davis, I wouldn't want a woman who openly advocated for child murder, as neither would the conservative, religious students at UNT. I could also say that the conservative students wanted equal rights TO PRACTICE CHRISTIAN BELIEFS which would be another reason not to have Wendy Davis speak.

I wouldn't want Wendy Davis there either. Commencement just isn't a good place for a politician. Also I don't know why you think being Christian and being a Democrat are mutually exclusive. It's not the first time you've hinted at that.

So you and yours can keep throwing a childish fit because someone you don't agree with politically is speaking at UNT. You can act out at the commencement, getting bad pun for your university and yet again cause alumni to shake there head and thank god they got their diploma and got the hell outta there , thanking their lucky stars they never have to go back.

I'm an alum, not a student. I won't be at the commencement because I don't know anyone who is graduating. Are those really your true feelings on UNT? Why are you on this board if you're glad you got the hell out?

Or you can grow the F up and respect the position of governor, the fact that a VAST majority of voting Texans wanted this governor, and the fact that this could be a good moment for your university.

I don't view having a different opinion as being immature. I view bringing in a very conservative politician to what is increasingly one of the most liberal schools in Texas to be tone deaf. Bring in someone from business, someone with a message like Michael J. Fox, or someone that would just be fun to have like UH with Matthew McConaughey.

• Upvote 3

I don't pretend to know what will happen if he remains the speaker. Comments on Twitter, Facebook, and the DRC article make me think students are vastly against it.

Really? Because the loudest among us speak for all of us? Interesting perspective.

I wouldn't want Wendy Davis there either. Commencement just isn't a good place for a politician. Also I don't know why you think being Christian and being a Democrat are mutually exclusive. It's not the first time you've hinted at that.

Didn't say that at all. I made the point that equal rights for Christians don't seem to matter to the politically correct today.

I'm an alum, not a student. I won't be at the commencement because I don't know anyone who is graduating. Are those really your true feelings on UNT? Why are you on this board if you're glad you got the hell out?

I didn't say I feel that way, but it's painfully obvious the majority of alumni do. Don't believe me? Simply look at the endowment, football attendance, and any other number of indicators. But by all means, protest and keep even more away.

I don't view having a different opinion as being immature. I view bringing in a very conservative politician to what is increasingly one of the most liberal schools in Texas to be tone deaf. Bring in someone from business, someone with a message like Michael J. Fox, or someone that would just be fun to have like UH with Matthew McConaughey.

Having a differing opinion isn't immature. Protesting politics at a non-political event and embarrassing your university in the process is immature.

• Upvote 1

Really? Because the loudest among us speak for all of us? Interesting perspective.

Where are you going with this? If you think the vast majority of UNT students are conservative, well, it's like you haven't been a student for 25 years.

Didn't say that at all. I made the point that equal rights for Christians don't seem to matter to the politically correct today.

What does 'equal rights for Christians' have to do with this? At all?

I didn't say I feel that way, but it's painfully obvious the majority of alumni do. Don't believe me? Simply look at the endowment, football attendance, and any other number of indicators. But by all means, protest and keep even more away.

So students not wanting this particular speaker at commencement is what's caused us to have low football attendance, endowment, and other issues? I never knew.

Having a differing opinion isn't immature. Protesting politics at a non-political event and embarrassing your university in the process is immature.

If it's a non-political event, don't bring in a politician. Simple as that. Also, no one has protested anything, but they are definitely giving feedback about not wanting this speaker.

• Upvote 3

You will probably have idiots that aren't even graduating show up to protest. Because they are sooo self important and soooo much more enlightened than everyone else. No matter that they still 21 year old kids who need their noses wiped from time to time.

Really hope UNT takes steps to avoid, not encourage, this type of idiotic behavior.

It's behavior like this that makes me embarrassed of UNT and makes me wish I had gone to A&M. Wonder how successful they will be in the real world.
  • Downvote 2

It's behavior like this that makes me embarrassed of UNT and makes me wish I had gone to A&M. Wonder how successful they will be in the real world.

If you are embarrassed that you went to UNT, may I suggest you do enroll at A&M. Don't need folks "embarrassed" of UNT.

Gig 'Em wanna be Aggie!

What embarrasses me are the folks who express embarrassment over THEIR University and express their acceptance of some other random university they have nothing but t-shirt loyalty to if that.

• Upvote 3

Where are you going with this? If you think the vast majority of UNT students are conservative, well, it's like you haven't been a student for 25 years.

I think the vast majority of students don't give 2 craps and don't know what they are.

What does 'equal rights for Christians' have to do with this? At all?

It's was a counterpoint to Colorado's "students that want equal rights" argument against Abbott (like Abbott doesn't want equal rights. Just asinine).

So students not wanting this particular speaker at commencement is what's caused us to have low football attendance, endowment, and other issues? I never knew.

No, it's the embarrassing behavior of a few (like when GWB spoke at UNT) that make many UNT alums shake their heads and think to themselves "same little old liberal arts school UNT again." And then go about never associating with their university. It's reinforcing stereotypes. If you can't see that your blind.

If it's a non-political event, don't bring in a politician. Simple as that. Also, no one has protested anything, but they are definitely giving feedback about not wanting this speaker.

How many liberal politicians have spoken at the commencement? That would be interesting to know.

I really don't see the point in going back and forth, so I'll stop after this. I've simply been attempting to explain why there's a negative response. I think it's a poor choice given the culture of the school, but what ultimately matters is how the students feel about it.

I also don't see why 'many UNT alums' would not associate with their university over the political and social beliefs of the current student body. I'd guess that would be towards the bottom of the list, if it's on the list at all, as to why we struggle with alumni relations.

• Upvote 1

I really don't see the point in going back and forth, so I'll stop after this. I've simply been attempting to explain why there's a negative response. I think it's a poor choice given the culture of the school, but what ultimately matters is how the students feel about it.

I also don't see why 'many UNT alums' would not associate with their university over the political and social beliefs of the current student body. I'd guess that would be towards the bottom of the list, if it's on the list at all, as to why we struggle with alumni relations.

The perception of being a small liberal arts school is one of the many reasons we are in the position we are. Shouting down a sitting governor only reinforces those perceptions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If you are embarrassed that you went to UNT, may I suggest you do enroll at A&M. Don't need folks "embarrassed" of UNT.

Gig 'Em wanna be Aggie!

What embarrasses me are the folks who express embarrassment over THEIR University and express their acceptance of some other random university they have nothing but t-shirt loyalty to if that.

then you must be embarrassed a lot by fellow alumni that are embarrassed about UNT because very few alumni give a crap and this University. And you have absolutely no clue what my association with A&M is but like always, you spout random BS you don't have a clue about. Put me on ignore if it bothers you so much.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Our business and engineering departments are larger than music and arts so wouldn't that makes us a more conservative school? Being a liberal arts school in the past has gotten us absolutely no where, time to lose that ridiculous label.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1