Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

I don't care what they post, just don't show your ass during the commencement address.

It's our commencement, though. Not going to not show up over my disagreement over Greg Abbott. Just going to make the best of it.

Personally, I'm all for Abbott coming as a DLS speaker even though I disagree with him on most issues. I'm all for a radical left winger coming to speak as well at DLS. Just not at commencement. Divisive politicians at a commencement is a no-no. Commencement shouldn't be divisive. Now the commencement is going to be full of boos, protests and people generally acting like idiots like they did when GWB visited. Commencement is about coming together, not splitting apart based off of political views.

This came down to money. Plain and simple.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's a cage. Use it.

Now, I'm going to go out on a very short limb, twig if you will, you didn't read the title of this specific thread. Mayyyybe this entire thread needs to be moved.

Another short limb, an actual limb this time however, you must be a democrat.

I'm just posting about the thread at hand, regardless of the location. I don't do much politics hence why you never see me over on those threads, but this one ran across the boards I do check, ya know, sport ones.

Your right Governor Abbott is speaking for Free, should be an honor for the students, but obviously not for many

It would be an honor if he was speaking at a Distinguished Lecture Series event where he could go and not force people who are uncomfortable with his social policies to be in the presence of.

This was done because UNT had the opportunity to bring candidates who would unite the student body who cost a good amount of change vs. Greg Abbott being free. UNT has already cheaped out enough on the student body this year, this is inexcusable. I'd rather him have charged us because then this wouldn't have been another cost-cutting measure.

I wonder if Abbott will insult UNT as a "school for children who think it's cool to be liberal hippies" like Rick Perry.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

It would be an honor if he was speaking at a Distinguished Lecture Series event where he could go and not force people who are uncomfortable with his social policies to be in the presence of.

This was done because UNT had the opportunity to bring candidates who would unite the student body who cost a good amount of change vs. Greg Abbott being free. UNT has already cheaped out enough on the student body this year, this is inexcusable. I'd rather him have charged us because then this wouldn't have been another cost-cutting measure.

I wonder if Abbott will insult UNT as a "school for children who think it's cool to be liberal hippies" like Rick Perry.

If his female democrat opponent won, would you be ok with her doing commencement? Because you agree with her?

Gov. Abbott knows his audience. His speech won't involve politics. It will probably involve his personal story of overcoming a huge obstacle that was thrown at him completely out of the blue.

And no matter what political ilk you are, that should be a very compelling speech, unless you are just so blinded by politics that you can't understand there is a time a place for them.

Governor Abbott knows this, and will demonstrate as much with his speech.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If his female democrat opponent won, would you be ok with her doing commencement? Because you agree with her?

Gov. Abbott knows his audience. His speech won't involve politics. It will probably involve his person story of overcoming a huge obstacle that was thrown at him completely out of the blue.

And no matter what political ilk you are, that should be a very compelling speech, unless you are just so blinded by politics that you can't understand there is a time a place for them.

I'd be equally upset with Wendy Davis (who I don't agree with either.)

I'll be happy if Abbott leaves out political points. Rick Perry couldn't, so I doubt Abbott will. Hope so though.

More or less pissed off that now I'll have to deal with a sideshow instead of just commencement.

Is it true Abbot wants to invalidate the vote of Denton citizens? I'm trying to filter through some internet chatter.

Denton has citizens!? If the city of Denton is conferring its own citizenship upon the residents then all sort of votes are likely to be tossed out. Does this mean the city flag will now be a divisive symbol? Is the national guard being called into suppress the secession of the city? Why the hell wasn't I told?

Oh and shit, that means I'll have to move since I have no intention of renouncing my US citizenship. I don't want to move, too much of a hassle.

Maybe New Denton will be more supportive of UNT athletics...

Edited by Army of Dad

Now, I'm going to go out on a very short limb, twig if you will, you didn't read the title of this specific thread. Mayyyybe this entire thread needs to be moved.

Another short limb, an actual limb this time however, you must be a democrat.

I'm just posting about the thread at hand, regardless of the location. I don't do much politics hence why you never see me over on those threads, but this one ran across the boards I do check, ya know, sport ones.

No, you dove into Social Security, which has absolutely nothing to do with Abbott, or Commencement, or anything relating to non-Cage nonsense.

You posted something with NOTHING to do about the thread at hand (which is the only part I deleted), and likely to split the thread into yet another political mess. So, don't do that again. If you have an Abbott opinion, obviously there's a slightly longer leash than usual since it's relevant to the topic at hand.

But don't branch out. If you don't agree that you did... It doesn't matter. Refer to the rule about arguing with mods about board policy.

And if you need to continue the conversation, send me a PM.

Gov. Abbott knows his audience. His speech won't involve politics. It will probably involve his person story of overcoming a huge obstacle that was thrown at him completely out of the blue.

I'd expect him to be in full campaign stumping mode. He'll be addressing his stance on all hot topics and let you know his ideas of how to fix them.

Most exciting commencement speech ever!

I'd expect him to be in full campaign stumping mode. He'll be addressing his stance on all hot topics and let you know his ideas of how to fix them.

Most exciting commencement speech ever!

Highly doubtful.

I understand Ryan's concern about it being a circus. One would hope people would be more mature, but we are talking about college kids here.

• Upvote 2

A couple of friends, behind me at NT had Kay Bailey Hutchinson as their commencement speaker. I was told she spoke mostly about National Security. That's the danger with getting any politician to deliver these. If they keep it cool, it's actually very prestigious to get someone like that. If they decide to blather on about real world crap, that just sucks the fun out of the whole thing.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

The issue with Abbott isn't really about bringing in a politician with conflicting viewpoints and using the opportunity to stump, although I'm sure neither would go over well. The issue with him is bringing in someone who is openly against LGBT people, women's rights, funding higher education, and Denton's local sovereignty. Someone on Twitter mentioned this possibly being a middle finger to Denton, and by design or not, it really is. Also, as another person put it, shows the administration is "comically out of touch" with the student body.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

The issue with Abbott isn't really about bringing in a politician with conflicting viewpoints and using the opportunity to stump, although I'm sure neither would go over well. The issue with him is bringing in someone who is openly against LGBT people, women's rights, funding higher education, and Denton's local sovereignty. Someone on Twitter mentioned this possibly being a middle finger to Denton, and by design or not, it really is. Also, as another person put it, shows the administration is "comically out of touch" with the student body.

So YOU want to make it political.

As do the Twitter idiots.

Got it.

And just so I have this straight, having any other position besides exactly what the LTBG community endorses now disqualifies you from giving a commencement address? Even if they don't come close to broaching the subject?

Nevermind that community is far less than 10% of UNT students.

What an interesting interpretation of tolerance.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

So YOU want to make it political.

I don't want anything.

And just so I have this straight, having any other position besides exactly what the LTBG community endorses now disqualifies you from giving a commencement address? Even if they don't come close to broaching the subject?

Nevermind that community is far less than 10% of UNT students.

So out of all the things I named, that's what you latched onto. The point is he is against a lot of ideals that our current students feel very passionate about. That is one of them. You're seeing a very negative reaction to this announcement because of many reasons, not just the one you latched onto.

What an interesting interpretation of tolerance.

What?

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't want anything.

So out of all the things I named, that's what you latched onto. The point is he is against a lot of ideals that our current students feel very passionate about. That is one of them. You're seeing a very negative reaction to this announcement because of many reasons, not just the one you latched onto.

What?

What you are saying is only speakers that believe like 21 year old college kids when it comes to politics should be considered. Because college certainly isn't about challenging ones ideas about the world and learning a different point of world view, is it?

LTBG was but an example of one of the left political positions you threw out there.

Does this mean that H. Ross Perot would be ineligible?

Roger Staubach?

Nolan Ryan?

How many people are you willing to blacklist because loud mouthed, snot nosed children disagree with their politics?

And what about conservative college kids. You know, the ones that don't go Twitter crazy. The ones that don't consider this a big deal at all. Do their views count?

At all?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

What you are saying is only speakers that believe like 21 year old college kids when it comes to politics should be considered. Because college certainly isn't about challenging ones ideas about the world and learning a different point of world view, is it?

Because only 21 year old college kids believe that there should be equal rights, raped women shouldn't have to carry those babies to term, and Denton should have the ability to ban fracking within city limits. Also, this is the point of why it shouldn't be a politician in the first place.

Does this mean that H. Ross Perot would be ineligible?

Roger Staubach?

Nolan Ryan?

Outside of maybe Nolan Ryan (big maybe), no current students would care about any of those people.

How many people are you willing to blacklist because loud mouthed, snot nosed children disagree with their politics?

So students currently graduating from UNT are "loud mouthed, snot nosed children." Glad you made that clear. Here I thought it was their graduation.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Referring to him as "a politician," i.e., "just a politician," is asinine. This is the governor of Texas!!! If Ann Richards would have given the commencement speech when she was governor, I would hope everyone would consider it an honor, regardless of party. Anyone who feels otherwise is a total jackwagon, plain and simple, end of story.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2