MGB breaking news -- Petersen out at UNT

Brett Vito

So not an ounce of respect for Aston the basketball coach from you? One point away from taking someone else's 4-24 team to 16-15? One point?

And by the way, they lost yesterday to Baylor in the Big 12 Championsjip game. It was the first time in over ten years Texas had been to their tourney championship game, in only her third season there.

Rick

Aston gets credit for improving one team from bad to average. Because that's all she did.

If she had coach here for 3 or 4 years, won a conference tourney championship or a regular season championship and then gone to UT, that would be a much different story.

She didn't.

She has taken a down UT team and has them on the road back to national prominence. She has done a really good job there. Of course, she has unlimited resources.

Would she have been that good here? We will never know.

• Upvote 1

Brett Vito,

Hopefully you are working on it, but it sure would be nice to know the financial arrangements that facilitated Peterson's departure.

Why do you need to know the financial arrangements? You planning on donating some money to help with it? If not then JSTFU about it. Because there are people out there taking care of that, and it is no fun donating to that cause.

The man has never been fired, this is not easy on anyone, but it had to happen. Just let him go, he is a class act.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Why do you need to know the financial arrangements? You planning on donating some money to help with it? If not then JSTFU about it. Because there are people out there taking care of that, and it is no fun donating to that cause.

The man has never been fired, this is not easy on anyone, but it had to happen. Just let him go, he is a class act.

Look dude, telling donors to shut the F up in this situation is myopic. Yes, some would like to know how much was spent on a bad hire. While we may not be involved in the buyout, we were damn sure involved in 3 years of salary payments. Plain and simple.

Attitudes like this reinforce the "big donor-small club" perception. You want to tell us to shut the F up while you play with what you perceive to be your personal toy? Well guess what. I give to the same freaking institution you do. I would bet at an even or maybe even greater salary percentage than you do. So, no, I don't think I'll STFU.

You want to play with your toy by yourself? Well, make sure it works so us little people of the world can enjoy watching it. If not, don't expect us to shut the F up.

And you know my post had everything to do with your personal friend and nothing to do with Peterson.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We have every right and reason to know the terms of the buy out. Bad hiring decisions are costing the program way too much money, years of losing seasons and fan apathy. I don't think any wise person would invest in any company without getting as many facts as possible. Hey, I appreciate those with the big bucks who can and are willing to help clean up someone else's mess but in reality all you are really doing is keeping the program on life support. We aren't advancing. We aren't improving. Like I said Peterson is only the symptom of a much larger problem.

Edited by meangreenbob

We have absolutely no right to know anything about the terms of the buyout. IMO, it is completely within the rights of those involved in forking over the money to keep it to themselves. That is the way it works most of the time, i.e. terms not disclosed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We have absolutely no right to know anything about the terms of the buyout. IMO, it is completely within the rights of those involved in forking over the money to keep it to themselves. That is the way it works most of the time, i.e. terms not disclosed.

The terms of the buyout should be in the contract which is public record. It's probably just the two years of salary so a little over $400,000.

The terms of the buyout should be in the contract which is public record. It's probably just the two years of salary so a little over $400,000.

Were there any special clauses that saved money. Was there a one time payoff agreed to that was less than the total amount owed?

We are asking for a list of who donated what, just the terms of the agreement. I think that's pretty standard and will probably come out in a day or 2.

I guess I take the viewpoint that our ongoing support helps fund normal operations, and essentially ongoing contracts (albeit at a smaller percentage than the big donors). When things go bad, and money is raised to buy out a contract, that is not impacting our giving one bit, so as curious as I am to know what the terms are, I realize it is none of my business and those involved are not obligated to share. I do however appreciate their willingness to pony up the extra money required in order to make it happen.

We know it isn't going to be any more than 2 years of base salary (from what I have heard, in the neighborhood of $200k per), so $400k, but hopefully a good bit less than that.

Aren't specific buyout terms typically kept confidential?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aston gets credit for improving one team from bad to average. Because that's all she did.

If she had coach here for 3 or 4 years, won a conference tourney championship or a regular season championship and then gone to UT, that would be a much different story.

She didn't.

She has taken a down UT team and has them on the road back to national prominence. She has done a really good job there. Of course, she has unlimited resources.

Would she have been that good here? We will never know.

And she won 80 plus games in 4 years at Charlotte and the post season all 4 years before she got to North Texas.

But at least your giving her an ounce. The very fact your even posting about women's basketball at all is progress in my book :)

Rick

• Upvote 1

And she won 80 plus games in 4 years at Charlotte and the post season all 4 years before she got to North Texas.

But at least your giving her an ounce. The very fact your even posting about women's basketball at all is progress in my book :)

Rick

Lol. Good point.

I do think she would have been successful here, but we can only judge her from her time her, which was really just not long enough to judge her at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the Aston hire was RV's worst. Doesn't matter what she did before she got here or afterwards, Bottom line is that she was only here 1 year. A good manager/interviewer should have seen through her BS during the interviews. If Mike Kryzewski would signs on here for only one year and leave, it would be a bad hire. That was a wasted year and a slap at the program. We all know that the program is crappy but we don't need some outsider to piss on us. We didn't even get 2 home games with UT as part of the buyout.

As far as the search is concerned, I'd like to see us use Nancy Lieberman as a consultant. First of all, let her tell us hell no and then ask for names. Folks criticize college assistants and then want us to consider a Jalie Mitchell. I don't know why I can't paste anything anymore but lets look at Michael Landers at Ole Miss. Great record in Junior college and an excellent recruiter. Bring his wife on board as his top assistant.

• Upvote 2

I think the Aston hire was RV's worst. Doesn't matter what she did before she got here or afterwards, Bottom line is that she was only here 1 year. A good manager/interviewer should have seen through her BS during the interviews. If Mike Kryzewski would signs on here for only one year and leave, it would be a bad hire. That was a wasted year and a slap at the program. We all know that the program is crappy but we don't need some outsider to piss on us. We didn't even get 2 home games with UT as part of the buyout.

As far as the search is concerned, I'd like to see us use Nancy Lieberman as a consultant. First of all, let her tell us hell no and then ask for names. Folks criticize college assistants and then want us to consider a Jalie Mitchell. I don't know why I can't paste anything anymore but lets look at Michael Landers at Ole Miss. Great record in Junior college and an excellent recruiter. Bring his wife on board as his top assistant.

I have been having the same issue with quoting other posts recently. However, I figured out how to get it to work again if you are interested. It is kind of hard to explain, so bear with me.

I found that if I first scroll down to the 'reply to this topic' area at the bottom of the page and click on the little light switch looking icon in the upper left area (next to eraser looking icon) that displays 'BBCode Mode' when you hover the mouse over it. Once the lightswitch icon is pressed, I can go back up to the post I want to quote and the text will show up in the 'reply to this topic area. Not sure why it works for me, but it does.

Oh good grief! Worst hire? How was RV to know she would take a 4 and 20 something team down to Austin and nearly walk out with a win, prompting Texas to immediately come calling as soon as the season was over? If she knew ahead of time Texas was going to be looking and interested in her she could have simply stayed in Charlotte another year.

And how do you slap a program that won 4 games the year before? LOL!

And a wasted hire? She brought in three good players and asked them to honor their commitment here after she left, which they all did, giving Peterson a solid foundation to start with. And he promptly ran them off. She thought enough of one of our own, Jalie, and brought her on board, paving the way for a potential great hire for us down the road. She immediately won against some name schools and at one point had us in the lead for biggest turnarounds nationally and got people interested in the program who had not been for many years including myself..

If there was a waste at all it would have been us not getting a solid buyout paid to us by Texas, which falls at RV's feet? We may have, I don't know. But hiring Aston was anything but a waste.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'm actually excited that a meaningful personnel decision was made by the Athletic Department, even if it's just addition by subtraction at this point. And I hope that President Smatresk is involved in the hiring decision. I think he did well with the MBB hire at UNLV. And yes, that was an assistant who was an alumni.

• Upvote 2