MGB breaking news -- Petersen out at UNT

Brett Vito

Probably means Benford is safe for another season.

I wonder if Jalie Mitchell is ready to be a a head coach and might be interested in coming back. (I forget who on here mentioned her first, but she would be an interesting candidate)

i hope they seriously consider her, i know she hasn't been a head coach, but she is mean green, played here when we had success and coached here the 1 year we had Coach Aston. Unless their is a candidate that just blows her out of the water (doubt it) then i hope she is seriously considered

This ensures that Benford will be here for his make-it-or-break it season next year. No way we are buying off two contracts at one time, especially Benford's.

Jalie Mitchell is an intriguing possibility for this job. I think that would make a lot of sense in many, many ways.

Probably means Benford is safe for another season.

I wonder if Jalie Mitchell is ready to be a a head coach and might be interested in coming back. (I forget who on here mentioned her first, but she would be an interesting candidate)

I doubt she would leave to work for this administration after witnessing how her staff was treated three years ago? Maybe at another time down the road?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Here's an update on the 6 hires RV has made in the revenue sports in the last decade:

Women's basketball:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)

- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)

68-144 total

Men's basketball:

- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)

- 14-16 Benford (2014-2015)

42-52 total

Football:

- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-27 Mccarney (2011-2014)

28-64 total

Total:

138-260

122 games under .500 between those 6 hires. They have coached in a combined 19 seasons, and unless the basketball team wins the CUSA tournament then we will have only 1 winning season out of those 19. Which was the 2013 football season, which resulted in a 5-year extension for Mccarney.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Here's an update on the 6 hires RV has made in the revenue sports in the last decade:

Women's basketball:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)

- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)

68-144 total

Men's basketball:

- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)

- 14-16 Benford (2014-2015)

42-52 total

Football:

- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-27 Mccarney (2011-2014)

28-64 total

Total:

138-260

122 games under .500 between those 6 hires. They have coached in a combined 19 seasons, and unless the basketball team wins the CUSA tournament then we will have only 1 winning season out of those 19. Which was the 2013 football season, which resulted in a 5-year extension for Mccarney.

I've said before, I know Johnny wasn't originally Rick's hire, but he did extend him twice. Rick should get credit for that. He also extended Dickey once.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've said before, I know Johnny wasn't originally Rick's hire, but he did extend him twice. Rick should get credit for that. He also extended Dickey once.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit, but the JJ hire was made 14 years ago. The hires I mentioned were more recent and, IMO, more likely indicative of what a modern-day RV hire is going to look like. 122 games under .500 is just astonishingly bad to me.

Edit: wait, did RV hire Johnny Jones? I thought he did.

Edited by BillySee58

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit, but the JJ hire was made 14 years ago. The hires I mentioned were more recent and, IMO, more likely indicative of what a modern-day RV hire is going to look like. 122 games under .500 is just astonishingly bad to me.

Johnny was here for a month or two prior to Rick being hired, IIRC.

EDIT: OK. I was wrong. See clarification from Bowler below.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

yes RV hired JJ, but after being an absolute ass in firing Trilli right after he returned from one of his players funeral. So yes RV gets credit for JJ.

Pretty positive Alan Ward did not hire JJ, he only hired Dawna Denny to be the Tennis Coach after Traxler left at the semester break as Helwig was thankful tossed on his rump and Stallings was walking around campus facilities

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1