Student Attendance At Sporting Events

greenit

The topic of student attendance pops up from time to time which got me thinking.

How many students actually live on campus? I think we have something like 13 or 14 residence halls. Does anyone know how many available beds we have?

Additionally, does anyone have an idea of how many students live off campus, but still in Denton (i.e. non commuters)?

Which is about the total student population of either TCU or SMU and about twice the student population of Rice. And yet many of their alumni sneer at us as a "commuter School".

I've had very little encounter with SMU people in my life, but I was heavily involved with many TCU people when I worked in Fort Worth. They exist in such a different universe of unlimited trans-generational wealth as to be completely delusional about their own existence and totally blind to the realities of anybody outside their cozy little Fort Worth bubble.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've had very little encounter with SMU people in my life, but I was heavily involved with many TCU people when I worked in Fort Worth. They exist in such a different universe of unlimited trans-generational wealth as to be completely delusional about their own existence and totally blind to the realities of anybody outside their cozy little Fort Worth bubble.

...and what sort of realities do you suppose our students are exposed to in their NT bubble?

You make a good point. Given that most of us are for the most part (attitude wise) the products of our upbringing, and in particular what our parents actually do, rather than what they say (it's called modeling); what sort of modeling goes on, day in, and day out, at North Texas by the people in charge of these on-campus students?

And since peer pressure is also important in our upbringing, what sort of peer pressure do our students experience in their 4+ years at North Texas.

I'd be willing to bet a six-pack of Alien Ale that the Talons are at their most active during the first half of the football season. And by early-to-mid-spring semester they are probably close to non-existent.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I can't remember, but something like a two thirds of our population live on or within 5 miles of campus and another third live outside of 5. I don't remember where I read this, only that it was sourced, that was just a while ago. I know in dorms is somewhere around 7,000 though.

Yeah. The commuter school thing is really just a misconception of the uninformed at this point.

I'd be willing to bet a six-pack of Alien Ale that the Talons are at their most active during the first half of the football season. And by early-to-mid-spring semester they are probably close to non-existent.

Outside of the Cannon Crew and stacking pallets, are there active Talons? If so, what do they do as they are rarely seen?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Outside of the Cannon Crew and stacking pallets, are there active Talons? If so, what do they do as they are rarely seen?

People used to say that about Talons when I was in school too, when we had a presence at every basketball game (mens and womens) as well as other sports from time to time (I made about half the soccer games one year). Now, I am not saying Talons still are for certain there....but I heard the same crap when i was in school ('96-'01), as well as a few years after I graduated. So, I figure they are still active and going to games.

• Upvote 3

I drove around campus before the middle game and was stunned by all the awesome development. It's not the same ole UNT i went to decades ago. It was nice and the new dorms and housing developments were sweet. The patio bars off the square were terrific too. Denton definitely has a college town vibe going on. Love my trips up there and post beer before returning to the Mecca 35 miles south.

I would like to see different organizations represented at the games. Other schools like UNLV Oregon state and BYU have student organizations giving out koozies spinning wheels for prizes giving out backpacks.... That is where we need to go next in the continued development of the basketball experience. Keep winning Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Which is about the total student population of either TCU or SMU and about twice the student population of Rice. And yet many of their alumni sneer at us as a "commuter School".

But, take the percentages.

If 7-8,000 of SMU students live on campus that's 63-73% (based on 2012 enrollment of 10,893)

If 7-8,000 of TCU students live on campus that's 70-80% (based on 2014 enrollment of 10,033)

Take that against UNT's total enrollment of 36,000 and that means that 19-22% of our students that live on campus

So, how does this take away the notion of being a commuter school?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People used to say that about Talons when I was in school too, when we had a presence at every basketball game (mens and womens) as well as other sports from time to time (I made about half the soccer games one year). Now, I am not saying Talons still are for certain there....but I heard the same crap when i was in school ('96-'01), as well as a few years after I graduated. So, I figure they are still active and going to games.

I am not trying to poke at them, but I never see them at football games outside of what I mentioned. When I was a kid going to the games during the Fry years, the Talons sat in a group and had these cool cow bells they rang. They usually had on shirts like the Greeks, that showed they were Talons. They had the go cart for Scrappy, the bell, the cannon and the Model A. Now they just are not visible. Maybe they are there, but I don't see them and that is sad for the spirit organization of North Texas. Shouldn't they be visible?

I am part of a Greek Organization so, CMJ, I understand you bristling at my comments about their visibility. I honestly didn't mean anything malicious with my comments. I was just asking a simple question since, I believe, they receive funds from the university as the official spirit group.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

If 7-8,000 of SMU students live on campus that's 63-73% (based on 2012 enrollment of 10,893)

If 7-8,000 of TCU students live on campus that's 70-80% (based on 2014 enrollment of 10,033)

Take that against UNT's total enrollment of 36,000 and that means that 19-22% of our students that live on campus

It doesn't.

SMU and TCU do not have near that many living on campus. It is not difficult information to find.

SMU/TCU have about half of the number of students as UNT living on campus, but from a percentage standpoint it is higher due to their tiny enrollment. Based on the demographics of their students, and the price tag of the university, it is not surprising that more students have the means to pay for on campus housing.

This is a crazy argument. When a university only has 10k students common law of common sense says it will be easier to house them.

There are hundreds of rent houses and apartment complexes that surround the campus that are filled with students. They don't fall into the "live on campus" category, no. But they live a stone throw away from campus and most walk or ride a bike to class. The perception of UNT being a commuter school is just that, a perception. My guess would be that at least 80% of the enrollment live inside loop 288 in Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1