Student Attendance At Sporting Events

greenit

So, regardless of where the students live and regardless of whether UNT is a commuter or non-commuter school, should these students show up at the sporting events? If so, how many or what percentage would be acceptable? For those students that choose not to attend, do we shoot them, publicly shame them or lock them in a room with UNT90 and KRAM1?

Rawlins stock has dropped in my book as well since the accounting issues were under his watch. Of course he did some good things here as well, such as getting us into C-USA.

My stance is that this dirty little secret had been known for some time and that his decision to step down was helped along by knowledge that this was going to surface.

The "problem" had been going on in the Libraries since the late 90s, and other areas have had the same issue for even longer. Now the initial whistleblower did bring this to light during Rawlin's term, but I don't know you can lay it squarely at his feet. A lot of people have over looked this problem over the years.

So, regardless of where the students live and regardless of whether UNT is a commuter or non-commuter school, should these students show up at the sporting events? If so, how many or what percentage would be acceptable? For those students that choose not to attend, do we shoot them, publicly shame them or lock them in a room with UNT90 and KRAM1?

Sounds like a party.

Lets get to gettin'.

Sounds like a party.

Lets get to gettin'.

I'm good with it...would never have a problem being anywhere with UNT90. Anyone who thinks that would be a problem for some reason are just flat wrong. He may be fixated on TB and RV, but most of what he does here is to simply get folks riled up, and then sit back and enjoy the carnage. Many of his best postings are done while sitting on the crapper as well....come on, how appropriate is that? Priceless!

Want to meet the guy? Want to find out who he really is? You know, actually meet him and chat with him? Come to the 5th Annual GMG.Com fund-raiser BB game on March 8th...2pm tip....he will be there supporting UNT and coaching his team...you know actually doing more than talking and posting on GMG.Com. He is always one of the first to sign-up. I can always...and that is always....count on UNT90 to be there to support and participate in these events. We won't get into those who never...that's never...support.

So, come on....lock us in that room with those students. One thing we can guarantee...everyone will have a good time. Book it Danno!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

FFR, I have no idea what two departments oversee Talons, but if you join the "official spirit group" of the UNT, shouldn't you want to attend these events without having someone force you in to it?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Rawlins stock has dropped in my book as well since the accounting issues were under his watch. Of course he did some good things here as well, such as getting us into C-USA.

To me, none of them (Pohl, Bataille, or Rawlins) have egg on their face like Lee Jackson does--he's been the chancellor over all of this mess. Yet, he doesn't even get a slap on the wrist...instead, the BOR EXTENDS him out as our chancellor after the budget fraud comes into the front and center. Its almost as if Lee Jackson is just easier to keep, so we will just extend him out, since it won't cost as much as hiring someone else after firing his worthless ass...

Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like the way we have rewarded an athletic director around here, too...

FFR, I have no idea what two departments oversee Talons, but if you join the "official spirit group" of the UNT, shouldn't you want to attend these events without having someone force you in to it?

Yes, but they still require oversight,... Which they have not recieved much of from "Student Activities" and "Athletics".

Rick

Yes, but they still require oversight,... Which they have not recieved much of from "Student Activities" and "Athletics".

Rick

And why do the Talons need oversight by two University entities? Does one actually provide the oversight while the other provides the funding?

Good question. The Greek system gets a black eye on here all the time. Why? Because they are visible, and they attend without someone at the university having to tell them. Back to my point. If the Talons receive university funding and oversight, then why are they not more visible? I would think that the people that join this organization do so because they are spirited, but that does not appear to be the case.

Regarding student attendance, at least at football games, this should be the least of our worries. Their attendance continues to grow. If the team can consistently win, then that is where our growth, along with young alums, will come from in the near future.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Good question. The Greek system gets a black eye on here all the time. Why? Because they are visible, and they attend without someone at the university having to tell them. Back to my point. If the Talons receive university funding and oversight, then why are they not more visible? I would thing that the people that join this organization do so because they are spirited, but that does not appear to be the case.

Regarding student attendance, at least at football games, this should be the least of our worries. Their attendance continues to grow. If the team can consistently win, then that is where our growth, along with young alums, will come from in the near future.

Well, most recently, they get a black eye because they show up to tailgate on the hill, but they tend to stay up there instead of going into the stadium.

Attendance at games is not horse shoes. You don't get credit for getting close.

• Upvote 2

Well, most recently, they get a black eye because they show up to tailgate on the hill, but they tend to stay up there instead of going into the stadium.

Attendance at games is not horse shoes. You don't get credit for getting close.

They make up a completely insignificant percentage of the University's total admission and can hardly be blamed for the the overall student participation, which as a percentage of student population, is sad. They're an easy scapegoat, but hardly the problem.

Let's say we get the 500 fraternity members + friends standing around outside the stadium to go in. Now the average attendance has gone all the way up to "sad + 500."

What are we going to get the other 10k-15k to care?

And why do the Talons need oversight by two University entities?

Because they have responsibilities and obligations to the university and last time I checked were given a $10K annual budget to accomplish these responsibilities and obligations with.

But like in so many other areas the university drops the ball. 6 to 8 years ago one AD employee pointed out he couldn't get any help accomplishing a task. I asked why in hell didn't he assign that to Talons? His response was..."I can't get them to do anything for me". And my response was..."That's your fault". And it was and still is.

They have responsibilities. If they want to participate in special events they must meet those responsibilities or be asked to leave and go do something else. The problem is those in charge of them won't demand accountability.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

They make up a completely insignificant percentage of the University's total admission and can hardly be blamed for the the overall student participation, which as a percentage of student population, is sad. They're an easy scapegoat, but hardly the problem.

Let's say we get the 500 fraternity members + friends standing around outside the stadium to go in. Now the average attendance has gone all the way up to "sad + 500."

What are we going to get the other 10k-15k to care?

Maybe 500 fraternity members, but I have seen 2-3k around the stadium a couple times that I have ran late just hanging out with what looked to be no intentions of going in. 500 is your scapegoat number. I have seen many, many more than that. Mac tries to sale the home record to us, but people watch the games when we're on the road. I can't blame anyone for wanting to go to Apogee for tailgating and not wanting to go in especially after having our asses handed to us the week before by a team that doesn't even exist anymore.

Now for those sitting at home to watch a UT/ATM/etc game on tv bc that's the school their daddy rooted for (but probably didn't attend) is a problem. I'm a rabid Gator fan, bc of said daddy (which he did attend) but I record Florida games and attend North Texas games. People need to make North Texas a part of them, not vice versa.

Maybe 500 fraternity members, but I have seen 2-3k around the stadium a couple times that I have ran late just hanging out with what looked to be no intentions of going in. 500 is your scapegoat number. I have seen many, many more than that.

My "scapegoat number" is based on the fact that only ~4% of the school's population is a member of a fraternity or a sorority -- and that includes ALL Greek letter organizations, not just the ones who bother to rent space, bring out their groups, and set up tailgates.

If that's who people want to blame for a 36,168-student university with 237,000+ area alums averaging 19,271 fans at home games, have at it. It just seems like the very definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

I agree with your point, I am just saying there are more than 500 outside the stadium pretty frequently, greek or not. The type of student that is attracted to UNT added with the success or lack thereof on the field is the real reason as to why we are sitting where we are in regards to attendance. Why would artsy adults all of sudden have an epiphany and want to attend games while they are probably living further away now as they were as a student. Want to change the attendance at athletic events? Grow the business programs to the point that they surpass everything else by three fold. Oh and of course, win.

It's like inviting a family of traditional Muslims to your house for dinner and serving pork and expecting them to happily eat it. If you want your guests to like pork, you better start inviting pork eaters.

A whole lot more people come for ULL's tailgating than stay for the game. ULL has seen the attendance at its tailgating increase dramatically the past few years. Not altogether coincidentally, it's game attendance has also increased in that same time span, even though many of the tailgaters never set foot inside the stadium.

I think we all need to get over the fact that there are some who only want to come for the party and not the game. The fact is, everyone who comes contributes to the atmosphere that attracts people to the event. Most of them bring friends and/or family. And people who are there, for whatever reason, are far more likely to come into the game than those who are not there at all.

• Upvote 2

Amen. I am still looking for that "guest" that guards our tailgate during the game. I don't care why they are at apogee as much as just be at apogee. Smu has had this problem for years with the blvd. if they win the fans will trickle in. GMG

I would argue the 2,000 to 3,000 people outside of the game. I know a few stay out there to watch over their tailgating equipment and others hang out there with them. Does it bother me that they don't come in? Sure, but I would argue they add a lot to the pre/post game atmosphere that so many come and enjoy and usually rave about to others. The Greek organizations typically build the best floats for the Homecoming parade and their organization's leadership ensures involvement by their members. RHA is another organization that is always active and visible at these events and does a great job in getting students to the games. Blaming the AD for the Talons lack of involvement/visibility is ridiculous. The student leadership of the Talons should demand this of their members. My fraternity, as well as the other Greek organizations always had good attendance and were visible at the games because our officers let it be known that you were expected to be there.

If you choose to join the Official Spirit Organization of the University of North Texas, then you shouldn't sit on your rear end waiting on someone from the AD to tell you what to do.

• Upvote 3