Coaching Staff

UNTLifer

Could be, but there hasn't been enough time to test 24/7's ratings yet recently. Either way both have us at about 6th in recruiting. Not bad, but as Vito said still around middle-of-the-pack.

I guess middle-of-the-pack comes across as better than otherwise considering we were looking to finish second to last only a month ago.

Year-by-Year 24/7 ranking since Mac has been here:

2015: 6th

2014: 9th

2013: 12th

2012: 6th

2011: 8th

Keep in mind how many recruits have left from the 2012 recruiting class.

This is why I'm not optimistic about this next year but think we will improve in 2-3 years.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Because if you take a step back and really look at things, our recruiting ranking makes sense. Outside of the obvious such as having almost a losing record as a football program and only 2 bowl wins, there are a lot of factors. 1) Coach Mac and his staff have almost no connections to any Texas high school program. I know I saw a post on here that argued that this wasn't a main factor in recruiting but you can't tell me it doesn't have any effect at all. 2) We have the lowest recruiting budget in C-USA. This really limits our coaching staff. 3) Perception. We still just aren't there yet with being known as a successful football program, even compared to a lot of our C-USA peers.

Bingo. What do people here like about these recruits other than the fact that they are going to UNT? Of course we're going to inherently like our signings. But what about these kids makes us feel like they can beat the signings from other schools on the field?

That's what I was getting at. And I got some decent responses. Now for the bias to come out of me. I think Nate Brooks and Elex Woodworth are really good signings, even if they didn't have big offer lists (although each were offered by a division rival). Woodworth has great potential and is a late bloomer, hitting a big growth spurt lately and maybe still growing. And I really like Brooks' athleticism, and he's 6'0". He really has good hips and fluidity. He also is a good tackler and hitter, despite being small. Those are two under-the-radar guys I really like.

My point in this post was that so many were critical of the staff's ability to recruit and then turn around and sing their praises once the class is signed. Two or three years from now will tell us how good this class really is.

Jareid Combs has me most excited, then Demarcus Smith, then James Gray/Xavier Grindle.

I guess mostly because they are the most likely to have an impact next year IMO. I like most of the HS linemen, but it would be surprising if any of them are big contributors next year (Roderick Young could surprise). I am interested to watch the development of the high school guys, especially the TE playing QB and the QB playing TE. Expecting Barr to be very good eventually. Expecting redshirts out of most of the HS recruits.

Jareid Combs has me most excited, then Demarcus Smith, then James Gray/Xavier Grindle.

I guess mostly because they are the most likely to have an impact next year IMO. I like most of the HS linemen, but it would be surprising if any of them are big contributors next year (Roderick Young could surprise). I am interested to watch the development of the high school guys, especially the TE playing QB and the QB playing TE. Expecting Barr to be very good eventually. Expecting redshirts out of most of the HS recruits.

Keep your eye on Finney.

Average class, but the fact that the most important recruit (Smith) supposedly isn't going to be here for Spring practice coupled with the fact the several other signees are also JUCO fall enrollees bumps this down to a below average class for me.,

We will lose one or two of the fall enrollees. Them just the odds.

Average class, but the fact that the most important recruit (Smith) supposedly isn't going to be here for Spring practice coupled with the fact the several other signees are also JUCO fall enrollees bumps this down to a below average class for me.,

We will lose one or two of the fall enrollees. Them just the odds.

Thanks Sunshine.

• Upvote 2