What Getting Our @ss Kicked In Football AND Public Relations Looks Lik

FirefightnRick

If this becomes the slogan, I'm out...as one who has a BBA in Finance from our alma mater and likes college sports, this message couldn't even remotely appeal to me. It screams, at least to me, that the school wants to just be Liberal Arts School. In freaking Texas...

At this point, just go ahead and be done with it. I got better things to do with my time and money if it goes down like this. Hell, Greenlight to Greatness was miles better than Above the Rest for Thousands Less, and that is a million times better than Creative Heartbeat of Texas. WTF???

so you would quit supporting your school and things you enjoy just because of a slogan??? wow...glad it's something important that pissed you off...

• Upvote 4

If this becomes the slogan, I'm out...as one who has a BBA in Finance from our alma mater and likes college sports, this message couldn't even remotely appeal to me. It screams, at least to me, that the school wants to just be Liberal Arts School. In freaking Texas...

At this point, just go ahead and be done with it. I got better things to do with my time and money if it goes down like this. Hell, Greenlight to Greatness was miles better than Above the Rest for Thousands Less, and that is a million times better than Creative Heartbeat of Texas. WTF???

When I think of "creativity" I think of innovative thought--not solely arts and music. Engineering, programming, and high finance are all fields that require successful creative thinking, no? Plus, this slogan does also draw attention to some of the subjects that have traditionally been strengths at North Texas. We should highlight our programs that are among the best in the state, right?

• Upvote 5

Yes, and it's shocking isnt it how many people still don't get it?

With all of the AD dept shortcomings needing addressed, them having to also fight the URCM department is not doing us any favors.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I understand this perspective. I have a BBA in Economics and I always felt both the business school and economics department were both highly underrated. I would like to see more emphasis on those parts of the school (ones that have the potential to bring in revenue, too).

It's pretty well established Denton and UNT do arts quite well (an understatement, if ever there were one). We've all had that discussion about UNT.

"Where did you go to school?

North Texas.

"Ah, the music school!"

Well, yes... but there are other things, too.

I'm not sure you can't present both sides, concurrently; I've just never seen a lot of effort spent promoting the business side of the equation.

I also agree with the perspective "who cares what it says, just keep them up there" because it DOES matter and it does leave a lasting impression in your brain. The more you see it, the more easily you'll recognize the school and the brand in the future.

And if you guys want to feel better about our billboards, UH has some around town that say "I Choose Houston." As in, "I swear I'm not here only because I didn't get in anywhere else."

Well... bye, I guess, because it's already happening:

http://northtexan.unt.edu/node/5044/

10727317_714441935272422_105084510_n.jpg

Also, I really don't think people are understanding the "Above the Rest for Thousands Less" ones. Those are specifically, ie: IT'S WRITTEN ON THE BILLBOARD, advertising the Eagle Express Tuition Plan. That is all. They're not saying the University is on sale or cheap or something.

Isn't that what you do when you try and put a NEW program out there? ... Market/Advertise it?

Let's put it this way:

Things you may see on a University of North Texas Billboard:

Overall University of North Texas Marketing Campaign - Batallie's "We Mean Green", Rawlins' "Green Light to Greatness" & Smatresk's "Creative Heartbeat of Texas"

Specific Program the University offers - UNT Athletic competitions, UNT Music performances, Eagle Express Tuition Plan, etc...

When I think of "creativity" I think of innovative thought--not solely arts and music. Engineering, programming, and high finance are all fields that require successful creative thinking, no? Plus, this slogan does also draw attention to some of the subjects that have traditionally been strengths at North Texas. We should highlight our programs that are among the best in the state, right?

Precisely. I love it. Why not draw attention to our VERY PRESTIGIOUS MUSIC SCHOOL?

• Upvote 3

I understand this perspective. I have a BBA in Economics and I always felt both the business school and economics department were both highly underrated. I would like to see more emphasis on those parts of the school (ones that have the potential to bring in revenue, too).

It's pretty well established Denton and UNT do arts quite well (an understatement, if ever there were one). We've all had that discussion about UNT.

"Where did you go to school?

North Texas.

"Ah, the music school!"

Well, yes... but there are other things, too.

I'm not sure you can't present both sides, concurrently; I've just never seen a lot of effort spent promoting the business side of the equation.

I agree with this too, but it's hard to advertise business schools or science or engineering, etc... Unless you have some great rank or perception (which doesn't the Accounting program have a very high rank?) then it's kinda hard to advertise specific schools/programs within the university.

I can hardly wait until we advertise our new law school, which is being touted as producing barristers for those who cannot afford the very best. Perhaps something along the lines of" We are not the best but we are thousands less". Or how about " less than average lawyers for a less that average price."

• Upvote 1

GoMeanGreen.com, where people will bitch about anything. I have followed North Texas and been a part of "its community" for over 40 years. Some stupid marketing campaign with a cheesy slogan has never stuck with me, so I am not terribly worried about this one. Don't you think a few are overreacting? FFR, I get it. IT's not what you want, so you kick and scream. What's your plan?

I am sure kid's are out there sweating bullets over whether they should come to the "Creative Heartbeat of Texas," "Pony Up," or enroll at the "University of Ten Americans."

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

GoMeanGreen.com, where people will bitch about anything. I have followed North Texas and been a part of "its community" for over 40 years. Some stupid marketing campaign with a cheesy slogan has never stuck with me, so I am not terribly worried about this one. Don't you think a few are overreacting? FFR, I get it. IT's not what you want, so you kick and scream. What's your plan?

I am sure kid's are out there sweating bullets over whether they should come to the "Creative Heartbeat of Texas," "Pony Up," or enroll at the "University of Ten Americans."

Clean House!

Rick

• Downvote 4

Well... bye, I guess, because it's already happening:

http://northtexan.unt.edu/node/5044/

10727317_714441935272422_105084510_n.jpg

Also, I really don't think people are understanding the "Above the Rest for Thousands Less" ones. Those are specifically, ie: IT'S WRITTEN ON THE BILLBOARD, advertising the Eagle Express Tuition Plan. That is all. They're not saying the University is on sale or cheap or something.

Isn't that what you do when you try and put a NEW program out there? ... Market/Advertise it?

Let's put it this way:

Things you may see on a University of North Texas Billboard:

Overall University of North Texas Marketing Campaign - Batallie's "We Mean Green", Rawlins' "Green Light to Greatness" & Smatresk's "Creative Heartbeat of Texas"

Specific Program the University offers - UNT Athletic competitions, UNT Music performances, Eagle Express Tuition Plan, etc...

Precisely. I love it. Why not draw attention to our VERY PRESTIGIOUS MUSIC SCHOOL?

"They" may not have intended on the message to be "We're Cheap", but that's precisely the message "They" conveyed.

When I told co-workers and friends about them everyone's response was...."Your kidding?".

And now this billboard above. That's,,,,,just great! If there was ever a visual Oxymoron that would be it, .....a billboard claiming "Creativity" with something that doesn't look creative at all.

Rick

• Downvote 10

I agree with this too, but it's hard to advertise business schools or science or engineering, etc... Unless you have some great rank or perception (which doesn't the Accounting program have a very high rank?) then it's kinda hard to advertise specific schools/programs within the university.

The Logistics program is also a top 10 ranked program in the nation by several outlets.

Edited by meangreen15
  • Upvote 2

Maybe 20-30 years ago it did. But I can tell you that an in-law of mine has recruited for one of the top accounting firms in the country, and most of his time each year was spent recruiting at UT in Austin, and UH, in addition to his other responsibilities. I asked him about UNT and he said they usually take a couple from there. But to be honest, I have never seen a ranking of the top universities for accounting.

Maybe 20-30 years ago it did. But I can tell you that an in-law of mine has recruited for one of the top accounting firms in the country, and most of his time each year was spent recruiting at UT in Austin, and UH, in addition to his other responsibilities. I asked him about UNT and he said they usually take a couple from there. But to be honest, I have never seen a ranking of the top universities for accounting.

There are rankings out there, but UT is consistently held in much higher esteem than UNT. However, UNT is definitely a respected accounting degree to have, and graduates from Denton aren't going to have too many doors closed to them. As with all professions, once you get your foot in the door, it's all performance based, and alma mater has nothing to do with anything.

I'd say for initial job placement, Big 4 is expected out of UT. Big 4 is definitely attainable for UNT, but not a given. Honestly, I'm not at all convinced about the arousal programs have for Big 4 placement.