Skladany to retire at end of season

Green Crazy

I hope we will talk to Clint Bowen about the vacancy. I thought he did a good job as a coach and recruiter when he was here and seems to have the Kansas team playing hard once he took over there. If he is not offered the full time head coaching job at Kansas he will probably be available and is familiar with our situation and some of our players.

• Upvote 4

Remember that if Coach Bowen is not hired as the next head coach at Kansas and is not retained by the new head coach he would be coming to us not from Kansas but from Unemployed. There is a big difference.

This.

If KU's new HC decides to hang onto him as the DC, then no, we're not going to win that battle. But if he's kicking cans on the street, or could come back and be the DC (and probably the HC-in-waiting), why not?

Bowen was DC at Kansas.

No way he comes back here unless it is as head coach.

Now Noah Joseph on the other hand...

This.

If KU's new HC decides to hang onto him as the DC, then no, we're not going to win that battle. But if he's kicking cans on the street, or could come back and be the DC (and probably the HC-in-waiting), why not?

Good points. Given the shock Kansas gave TCU I would wager short odds on Bowen being available at season's end.

But Noah Joseph is intriguing.

However, with all the talk of coaches - will we have the players to make a DC look good?

• Upvote 2

I say pay Muschamp about $2m/year to coach the defense.

This....

Promote from within. Give Kevin Patrick the job and find a DL coach just as fiery as him. I think Patrick can be a really good recruiter and as the DC he will have the opportunity to go after his kind of players and go talk with them.

Or This....I'm OK with either

• Upvote 2

Even if KU doesn't retain him, Bowen ends up on a P5 staff, probably as a DC, but if not, as a position coach making more money than he would as DC at UNT.

The timing of Skladany's retirement is a bit concerning. I hope this has nothing to do with him looking at what he has coming back/in next year and deciding its a good time to hang em up...

• Upvote 1

Even if KU doesn't retain him, Bowen ends up on a P5 staff, probably as a DC, but if not, as a position coach making more money than he would as DC at UNT.

The timing of Skladany's retirement is a bit concerning. I hope this has nothing to do with him looking at what he has coming back/in next year and deciding its a good time to hang em up...

Thats coaching for you. Name be a coach that was just like screw it I'm done then the team went on to be World beaters? This is probably part he's old and has been thinking retirement, part Mac pushing the envelope to use Skladany as a scapegoat and part he thinks we don't have any defensive potential.

**Mac best start looking for an OC. That needs to be his real scapegoat, not an old DC retiring regardless.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1