MBB vs OKC (exh)

NT03

I'm am happy with the results. The team did not quit and played well. We were out 4 of our top 6 players (Wesley, Harris, Reese, and Taylor). When all four of those guys touch the court this team will be a force. If Wesley is not good to go I will have some concerns in some of our out of confence games. He was suited up though. Last year he was not. I think maybe that means it is disciplinary. He was shooting around with the team I thought at the start of the game.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So we are down 85-77 with 2:39 and Andrew (the other one) walks out of the Pit. Coincidentally, we go on a run to send it to overtime.

Huh.

So we are down 85-77 with 2:39 and Andrew (the other one) walks out of the Pit. Coincidentally, we go on a run to send it to overtime.

Huh.

I just moved closer to the parking lot because I wanted to make it to the car to hear the post game. I was extremely disappointed to learn there was no post game!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I just moved closer to the parking lot because I wanted to make it to the car to hear the post game. I was extremely disappointed to learn there was no post game!

Hank and George were covering the FB Coach's Show.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Defense still a huge concern with this team, along with rebounding (the 2 areas TB said would be improved shortly after his hire. Year 3 and still waiting). It's an exhibition, so it really doesn't mean that much, but Wesley still not on the floor is a concern.

Glad to hear Combs had a good debut. Hopefully he can develop to be a poor man's Eric Tramiel, who was extremely successful as a 6'4" or 6'5" power forward.

Edited by UNT90

Here is the official box score for the game: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/box_score/stats_20141111aaa.pdf

I was very interested to see how Gregg White-Pittman would play. Big time scorer in high school. He put up great numbers, fantastic numbers considering his first game as a D1 freshman: 15 pts, 7 assists (only 1 turn over), 2 Rebounds, 1 steal. Great contributor all around for this game.

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 2

Here is the official box score for the game: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/box_score/stats_20141111aaa.pdf

I was very interested to see how Gregg White-Pittman would play. Big time scorer in high school. He put up great numbers, fantastic numbers considering his first game as a D1 freshman: 15 pts, 7 assists (only 1 turn over), 2 Rebounds, 1 steal. Great contributor all around for this game.

Not his first game as a D1 freshman. It was an exhibition.

It will be interesting to see what he can do in his first real game, though. Same with Combs and Wesley.

Edited by UNT90

As greendylan so appropriately pointed out, strange things happen in exhibition games. OKC was 2-0 on the season and was angering over 95 points per game. Point being, they had more early season game experience which is critical in getting new players settled in and returning players having some game knowledge in what to expect from those new players. Practice is great, but nothing beats actual game experience. So UNT is now 2-0 in exhibitions. For me, I am realky Hapoy that both games were very close and that UNT ended up winning both. Blowout wins in exhibition games don't help much in preparing for the "real" season. So, lots of teachable moments here just like Peterson and the women. Let's hope those teachable moments sink in and the team's settle in and mesh for the regular season.

Rumor has it that the men are a much more "together" team than we have seen in recent years. Will that translate into wins? Who knows? We can hope so, but we will all see soon enough. If you are not happy with this win in OT just ask Middle how they feel. As greendylan said...strange things happen in exhibition games. Yes, indeed they do. Congrats to the men for this comeback win. Nice finish guys.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking more along the lines of Tony Mitchell.

No... Combs actually runs back up the floor after a dunk. I loved seeing that from him. He had a break away dunk and was still the first person back up the floor in defense. I love this young man! I think I found my new favorite player after a Jordan leaves.

• Upvote 3

No one seems alarmed that we gave up 100 points to a NAIA school...

Pretty alarming since we were one shot away from losing. I am enthused with the high school accolades from some of these guys, but until Benny gets them to come together and actually win at this level I shall remain a bit on the skeptic side of the fence.

I mean, it could be interpreted as a bad omen, but personally, I don't think we should take away too much (positive or negative) from an exhibition game. Friday's game will tell us MUCH more about this team's potential.

Well, it'd be nice if a coach in his third year as the HC wasn't struggling to get to OT against an NAIA school in an exhibition, but maybe that is just me...I know we were missing people, but that seems really sad to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking more along the lines of Tony Mitchell.

I'm not sure how serious this comment is, but I was watching the game thinking Combs could have very similar production to what Mitchell gave us. Especially if he progresses as his career goes. They just have such a different game, I don't think I would call Combs a poor man's Tony Mitchell, other than solely going off stats. But very excited to have him.

Pretty alarming since we were one shot away from losing. I am enthused with the high school accolades from some of these guys, but until Benny gets them to come together and actually win at this level I shall remain a bit on the skeptic side of the fence.

6 point shot in basketball now?? J/k