MBB vs OKC (exh)

NT03

I'm not sure how serious this comment is, but I was watching the game thinking Combs could have very similar production to what Mitchell gave us. Especially if he progresses as his career goes. They just have such a different game, I don't think I would call Combs a poor man's Tony Mitchell, other than solely going off stats. But very excited to have him.

I think it's fair to say he is more along the lines of Mitchell than Tramiel.

I think it's fair to say he is more along the lines of Mitchell than Tramiel.

Mitchell could handle the ball, shoot the 3 at a 40% clip, and could guard on the perimeter. To call Combs a "poor man's TM" he'd have to be semi-capable of doing those things, just not to the degree Mitchell could. His game features none of those things whatsoever. That's why I wouldn't really compare them from a playing standpoint. But yes, from a production standpoint I think we could see more of the "poor man's TM" be prevalent.

Mitchell could handle the ball, shoot the 3 at a 40% clip, and could guard on the perimeter. To call Combs a "poor man's TM" he'd have to be semi-capable of doing those things, just not to the degree Mitchell could. His game features none of those things whatsoever. That's why I wouldn't really compare them from a playing standpoint. But yes, from a production standpoint I think we could see more of the "poor man's TM" be prevalent.

Combs handled the ball well and guarded the permitter will last night. Not sure how good he is at knocking down the three just yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Combs handled the ball well and guarded the permitter will last night. Not sure how good he is at knocking down the three just yet.

He's not a shooter. Like I've said before, 4 trapped in a 2/3's body. I didn't see any ball handling. Definitely not like Mitchell who would bring it up the court and was capable of taking it coast to coast. He was capable of using his dribble to make some post moves, but not much ball handling.

He's not a shooter. Like I've said before, 4 trapped in a 2/3's body. I didn't see any ball handling. Definitely not like Mitchell who would bring it up the court and was capable of taking it coast to coast. He was capable of using his dribble to make some post moves, but not much ball handling.

He got free in the open court a couple times and was able to dribble it to the hoop for the dunk. He went by one player on his way. Obviously Mitchell is a better all around player. I think Combs has a lot of potential and can grow a lot this season. He could develop a jumper.

Edited by Andrew

Different kind of players, but here hoping that Combs turns out to be a better college player than Mitchell. Mitchell may have been the most physically talented player in NT history, but he was far from the best.

I really want to see Jordan Williams average 20 plus this season and take us to the big dance! Doing this should help solidify him as one of UNTs best players ever. I really wish he had made the grades his freshman year.

I was thinking more along the lines of Tony Mitchell.

Obviously, you were at the game and I wasn't, but Combs is no where close to 6'7", much less the legit 6'9" that Mitchell was bringing to the game.

Also, it was my understanding from NT03 and others that Combs had a very post up game, something Mitchell struggled with at UNT (if course, the constant double teams every tube he touched the ball near the basket probably didnt help).

Below average height with a great inside game defined Tranmeil. I only hope that Combs can be a similar player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNC Pembroke 72 UAB 71

Chrisitain Brothers 74 Memphis 70

Southern Arkansas 69 Arkansas State 67

But wait... We all need to be throwing fits about playing well against a lower level team....

It's like no one watches college basketball and sees this happen all the time!

Seriously guys, remember the time we lost to Alabama-Huntsville? We still kicked ass that year!

... It's not that a lower level team played us close, it's the fact that this has been the story the past two years with disastrous results

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

Seriously guys, remember the time we lost to Alabama-Huntsville? We still kicked ass that year!

... It's not that a lower level team played us close, it's the fact that this has been the story the past two years with disastrous results

The real point is that Alabama Hintsville was a real game, and a game on the biggest national stage this team had seen other than NCAA tourney games.

Oh, and also all the close calls last year to lower level teams, again in real games (seems like we played 10 NAIA teams last year).

• Downvote 1