Jordan Kitna

I'll be critical of this class. Going into the season with only 2 verbals is pitiful. You want to judge the class come Feb, I understand that, but classes get built now. It's a lot tougher into throw a class together in the 3 months after the season than it is to build one throughout the year. Danny Mac isn't only screwing himself with this horrible recruiting strategy he's screwing whatever coach is here when this class will be upperclassman.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Reminds me a bit of Dickeys "stealth" recruiting which was just BS as well. 

People, pleaseeee stop saying this. It's not like that at all. It's a completely different era now in 2015 than it was back then. There was no Twitter, 247, Facebook, or even MySpace when that was happening. There's a big difference between publicly showing two commits while actually having 15 and actually having only two commits. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

People, pleaseeee stop saying this. It's not like that at all. It's a completely different era now in 2015 than it was back then. There was no Twitter, 247, Facebook, or even MySpace when that was happening. There's a big difference between publicly showing two commits while actually having 15 and actually having only two commits.  

Dickey was full of crap and so is this staff.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, it's like an open admission that you can't win recruiting battles. Let's wait until the end of the cycle to get guys who are no longer being recruited by some of the other schools that offered them in the spring, since we can't get players when they are being actively recruited by their entire offer list.

If you want to win on the field you have to win recruiting battles. There's no shortcut around that. No reason we can't get good early commits, hold onto them, and save some spots for a few guys that have offer lists with expired offers.

The first paragraph is 100% accurate. The more I think about this "strategy" the more I think it is shit vomit throw up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Reality check - Dickey et al

didnt have a pot to piss in regarding facilities,conference, assistant salaries, academic support and the list goes on and on.  For what they had, they did a pretty decent job all things being equal.  There is no comparison in terms of what we have now.

In no way should we wait to offer. That makes no sense. Get in the battle early and stay in it till the end. Do we want our players to not play hard in all the quarters but the 4th? The idea is crazy and I hope that is not the case. If that is the case, I am glad I have a degree from another D1 school also and will be able to watch them as we suck for 4 years. Crazy talk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Until we run an offense that Texas HS kids want to play in that are taller than 6'0", we are going to have to go the JUCO route for QBs. Its just that simple.We run an offense that Woody Hayes would have run in the 60's and 70's. The high majority of Texas HS kids play in spread offenses. Their coaches think its more fun for the kids--they think Mac's offense is boring. Obviously, by the results we have seen since Mac got here, so do the HS QBs from this state. Mac's starters have been Derek Thompson, who was already here, MiniMac, who he got from Iowa because he knows his dad, Greer, who came from the juco ranks and cannot play at this level, and Dajon, who was run off for multipple reasons and didn't have another FBS offer, IIRC. And if Damarcus Smith cannot come in here and win this job against this bunch this year, that will be just pathetic. And then we will start all over again trying to find another JUCO QB to come here and hope to take the reins of the busdriver offense, this time with a different OC, since Chico will probably be gone after this season ends.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But, why? Add to it, improve depth, improve competition at practice, get better. Why sit on your hands. 

I said COULD not SHOULD lol. I am just hammering the green Kool-Aid over here. I see some young players that look to have better talent than anybody I have seen play for the Mean Green, and I am frickin excited about it. But yeah - I am more than a little concerned with the current recruiting strategy, and results thus far. I could see using a more patient approach TO SOME EXTENT and hope that works out to land some better quality talent. But I also think you need to try to get the majority of your class committed early. 

• Upvote 3

Problem is there is no Scott Hall to lead the team. You have to have a QB to win nowadays.

But there is a DeMarcus Smith. We wont know until we actually see it happen - but I am thinking he is going to win the start against Portland St and not look back. So for a year and a half - lets hope he breaks some records. What I am also hoping is that his play will allow Chico to open up the offense - and that should attract the attention of some better than average high school QBs. GMG!!

• Upvote 1

I guess 139/126 is pretty good to you? 

No, but as I stated earlier, I will wait to see where we end up on signing day before being critical.  I know you have a hard time grasping that fact.  Actually, I prefer to see how a class develops and rate them after 3 or 4 years in the program.

No, but as I stated earlier, I will wait to see where we end up on signing day before being critical.  I know you have a hard time grasping that fact.  Actually, I prefer to see how a class develops and rate them after 3 or 4 years in the program.

What fact? Where is this fact you speak of? 

Dickey stealth recruiting IMO was a myth.  DD for the most part didn't start making offers until very late in the recruiting season. 

Although, it may be a little disturbing not to have a bunch of recruits committed at this point; I much rather have that then the commits of a bunch of borderline recruits.  Whatever McCarney strategy is now, hopefully it will have better results than his past efforts at NT.