District not expected to take action on Convention Center

Harry

City staff members are scheduled to be back before the Denton school board Tuesday to make another report on the citys proposed convention center project. But again, the board is expected to take no action.

School board President Glenna Harris said board members expect to hear about the changes to the proposed project and the funding methodology.

She said she understands the city wants Denton ISD to participate in a tax-increment reinvestment zone, in which it would give back some of the property taxes it would collect from the hotel and convention center site. Harris said theres no timetable set for if and when the board might make a decision on participating in the project.

I dont think we feel any particular time crunch, she said. I think well discuss it again [Tuesday] night and see where the discussion leads.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140920-district-not-expected-to-take-action.ece

This is the same DISD that built a $15 million stadium when they could have played in Apogee. Sales and occupancy tax revenue from the proposed convention center will far exceed any DISD property tax the district gives up. If I were a Denton taxpayer, I would be miffed at this USUAL Denton attitude of thwarting progress

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This is the same DISD that built a $15 million stadium when they could have played in Apogee. Sales and occupancy tax revenue from the proposed convention center will far exceed any DISD property tax the district gives up. If I were a Denton taxpayer, I would be miffed at this USUAL Denton attitude of thwarting progress

No, North Texas dragged their feet on the partnership for a stadium. Oh, if you want a convention center, then why don't you support local Denton businesses rather than eating in The Club or Mean Green room? Your anti-Denton rants are old and tiring!

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

No, North Texas dragged their feet on the partnership for a stadium. Oh, if you want a convention center, then why don't you support local Denton businesses rather than eating in The Club or Mean Green room? Your anti-Denton rants are old and tiring!

I seem to recall, you eating many times in both these venues and so did (and still do) I. I fail to see how eating at a UNT venue before a home game is anti-Denton in any way. The caterers for these events employ Denton folks and, more often than not, are local area businesses. And, everyone there is supporting UNT which is the major employer in the City of Denton. Hardly seems anti-Denton to me, but perhaps you can help me understand how it might be considered as such.

I am interested in your comment about UNT dragging its feet in relation to DISD's reluctance to join the partnership as well. DISD gets zero tax from the property as it sits...even with the abatement, they will draw tax revenue they currently do not have. That puzzles me a bit when folks moan about the tax abatement thing.

It is, however, looking less and less like the convention center and hotel will become a reality...at least anytime in the foreseeable future. Now, THAT is pretty typical of Denton...very shortsighted, anti-business and anti-growth. Remember the Denia folks and all their whining about Apogee and how it will kill their neighborhood access? Did not turn out that way at all...as most knew from the beginning. They do not even block those streets off on game days any longer. But, that reality will not stop the same folks from whining again should the convention center idea ever get off the drawing board.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is no convention center/hotel really a bad thing? The last hotel on that site failed...why do it again?

The dozen major conventions the University now hosts? The ten thousand new students? The hundreds of thousands of new people living north of the bridge? The I35 expansion project and it's effect on continued growth?

• Upvote 3

The dozen major conventions the University now hosts? The ten thousand new students? The hundreds of thousands of new people living north of the bridge? The I35 expansion project and it's effect on continued growth?

Not to mention the stadium, tennis courts and upgraded softball facility within walking distance.

This is typical short-sightedness by the Denton anti-growth crowd

• Upvote 3

north Texas took over the hotel in May of 2008 as verified by a post on this forum

from the Fall of 2007 until today there are only 2,000 additional students not 10,000 and I doubt there is even a single new conference at north Texas that was not in place in 2008 and students generally do not stay at hotels anyway even if their parents might for a night or two one or two times, but there is no lack of hotels in Denton or available rooms for them and they do not need a convention facility

also school districts are funded by property taxes so an increase in sales taxes means nothing to the school district especially relative to giving up property tax income and there will be little of any additional development that would generate new property taxes because the land surrounding the hotel is university owned, already developed or it will be a part of the TIF if it is developed so there will be little of any additional property taxes generated by the development of this hotel

• Downvote 9

The arguments against the convention center seem to revolve around the idea that UNT would be the sole users. In terms of conferences, UNT either hosts as a site for other recurring conferences, or runs its own conferences, so it isn't always the same conferences every year. These conferences bring folks from around the world, and they always look for a place to eat (where local students and professors mostly send them to the square or nearby Thai cuisine). I am speaking from experience and not conjecture.

I have no idea what conferences the region would be bringing in, but I am sure all parties involved would be recruiting heavily.

Although total enrollment has increased by a couple thousand, retention has increased. This puts us at around number 4 I think. Not sure why this is a point being made here in a negative context. We're still a big school and less people are transferring away.

That hotel is going to have to compete just like any other hotel, but if the convention center is filling up with conferences several times a year, it shouldn't be an issue (people are hired specifically to recruit conferences and events). Also, Texas Motor Speedway will provide a boost every once in a while.

I'll end my rant with a loaded question, why don't you want growth for Denton?

• Upvote 3

north Texas took over the hotel in May of 2008 as verified by a post on this forum

from the Fall of 2007 until today there are only 2,000 additional students not 10,000 and I doubt there is even a single new conference at north Texas that was not in place in 2008 and students generally do not stay at hotels anyway even if their parents might for a night or two one or two times, but there is no lack of hotels in Denton or available rooms for them and they do not need a convention facility

also school districts are funded by property taxes so an increase in sales taxes means nothing to the school district especially relative to giving up property tax income and there will be little of any additional development that would generate new property taxes because the land surrounding the hotel is university owned, already developed or it will be a part of the TIF if it is developed so there will be little of any additional property taxes generated by the development of this hotel

I used to work for the Center for Achievement and Lifelong Learning at UNT, which regularly bid for contracts to bring national and internationally renown conferences to UNT. Most of the time, however, we were unable to secure the bid due to a lack of space and lack of control over costs. A convention center attached to UNT makes a lot of sense, especially as Denton is the furthest northern significant city in Texas before Oklahoma. Beyond what UNT could offer, a convention center would also help the City of Denton bring in more people through more events which means more revenue.

However, because that increased revenue can't be guaranteed to one business or another, most of the hotel chains aren't supporting the convention center even though it would bring in more business for them. They can't see the wood for the trees.

The arguments against the convention center seem to revolve around the idea that UNT would be the sole users. In terms of conferences, UNT either hosts as a site for other recurring conferences, or runs its own conferences, so it isn't always the same conferences every year. These conferences bring folks from around the world, and they always look for a place to eat (where local students and professors mostly send them to the square or nearby Thai cuisine). I am speaking from experience and not conjecture.

I have no idea what conferences the region would be bringing in, but I am sure all parties involved would be recruiting heavily.

Although total enrollment has increased by a couple thousand, retention has increased. This puts us at around number 4 I think. Not sure why this is a point being made here in a negative context. We're still a big school and less people are transferring away.

That hotel is going to have to compete just like any other hotel, but if the convention center is filling up with conferences several times a year, it shouldn't be an issue (people are hired specifically to recruit conferences and events). Also, Texas Motor Speedway will provide a boost every once in a while.

Exactly.

In the past six years UNT has risen from the 33rd largest university in the US to the 27th, and it's only going to continue to grow in the foreseeable future.

I used to work for the Center for Achievement and Lifelong Learning at UNT, which regularly bid for contracts to bring national and internationally renown conferences to UNT. Most of the time, however, we were unable to secure the bid due to a lack of space and lack of control over costs. A convention center attached to UNT makes a lot of sense, especially as Denton is the furthest northern significant city in Texas before Oklahoma. Beyond what UNT could offer, a convention center would also help the City of Denton bring in more people through more events which means more revenue.

However, because that increased revenue can't be guaranteed to one business or another, most of the hotel chains aren't supporting the convention center even though it would bring in more business for them. They can't see the wood for the trees.

Because you are new here, I will let you know something about GL2G. He is a troll in the most accurate sense of the word. Others can fill in the details about his grudge against UNT, but he posts negatively about UNT anywhere that will allow him under various aliases. Best to just ignore him.

from the Fall of 2007 until today there are only 2,000 additional students not 10,000

The hotel was not built in 2007. By 2007 it was a wreck. It also did not have sufficient convention space. I am talking about changes from the time it was built.

I'm sorry you were unable to defeat the athletics fee, but really, it's time for you to move on with your life and stop trolling the Mean Green all over the internet.

• Upvote 2

Because you are new here, I will let you know something about GL2G. He is a troll in the most accurate sense of the word. Others can fill in the details about his grudge against UNT, but he posts negatively about UNT anywhere that will allow him under various aliases. Best to just ignore him.

I would add this board has a wonderful ignore feature. It is very useful to avoid comments from GL2G. I wish other boards had that feature! I have noticed GL2G has negative total reputation points on several other boards which tells me it's not just NT fans who consider him a troll.

• Upvote 1

He is a troll that has gone by several different screen names since popping up on here, isn't that right, Checkfacts?

He makes fun of UNT and downgrades anything positive that happens for UNT. He chose his screen name to mock, not out of pride.

Like any troll, ignore him and he goes away.

Edited by UNT90

He is a troll that has gone by several different screen names since popping up on here, isn't that right, Checkfacts?

He makes fun of UNT and downgrades anything positive that happens for UNT. He chose his screen name to mock, not out of pride.

Like any troll, ignore him and he goes away.

This could generate some interesting responses.

• Upvote 1

still not sure why the School District is not behind this, it is a win-win for them, they already get no taxes so anything generated would be gravy.

Obviously some selfish politics going that will keep Denton and UNT from progressing.

It really makes no sense for a school to participate unless they plan on building some type of facility within the zones boundaries. If this deal was based on the school participating then it was doomed from the get go.

The hotel was not built in 2007. By 2007 it was a wreck. It also did not have sufficient convention space. I am talking about changes from the time it was built.

I'm sorry you were unable to defeat the athletics fee, but really, it's time for you to move on with your life and stop trolling the Mean Green all over the internet.

GL2Greatness is probably a sociopath...his trolling fits the profile perfectly. Dude may be Dexter for all we know...

Denton seriously needs this hotel and convention center. Think of the future and growth of the whole region on top of the fact that there's UNT, TWU, and the city of Denton that can use it for their stuff. And as of now if one wants to stay at a hotel in Denton I don't think there's a ton of options for more of the upper scale type lodging which the city desperately needs. If I'm not mistaking you'd have to go to Lewisville or Frisco for that.

Denton seriously needs this hotel and convention center. Think of the future and growth of the whole region on top of the fact that there's UNT, TWU, and the city of Denton that can use it for their stuff. And as of now if one wants to stay at a hotel in Denton I don't think there's a ton of options for more of the upper scale type lodging which the city desperately needs. If I'm not mistaking you'd have to go to Lewisville or Frisco for that.

There is zero "upper scale" lodging in Denton, but to be fair, an Embassy Suites hotel really isn't "upper scale" lodging...