Coach Mac on FOX4 @9

Side Show Joe

Just watched the segment. Lot' s of the same ole coach speak- always overly complimentary about other teams and their coach. Was it really necessary to point out that we are 4-28 against SMU? I love Mac, but his samle ole coach speak is getting old. I wonder if he did this when he was at Iowa State.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just watched the segment. Lot' s of the same ole coach speak- always overly complimentary about other teams and their coach. Was it really necessary to point out that we are 4-28 against SMU? I love Mac, but his samle ole coach speak is getting old. I wonder if he did this when he was at Iowa State.

I hate that he said that on Fox 4. It's embarrassing and doesn't tell the whole story.

Still love Coach Mac though.

Beat Texsa

GMG

And the whole story is?

Most of those games were 1942 or earlier when we went 1-18. We are 3-10 against them since WW2 and many of those games were when they were earning their death penalty for cheating.

We are 2-2 against SMU since 1990, and we are going to hand them their rear ends on September 6th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_Bowl

Edited by pastorgrant
  • Upvote 2

Fixed, and thanks :)

What year did we come back up? For some reason I was thinking 1989. I'm a UNT fan since 2000 (my Freshman year), and have had to piece together the history of the program through GMG and random Wikipedia articles.

1995 was our first year back in 1-A, as an independent.

1994 was the year when we made the big drive to move back up, and it was one of my greatest years of UNT fandom. The stands were pretty well packed, Matt Simon was about the gutsiest playercaller of a head coach you've ever seen, and Mitch Maher was an incredible quarterback. The stands kind of dried back up in '95 after the goal to move up had been accomplished, and Mitch had used up his 4 years of eligibility. Jason Mills led a great comeback win against Oregon State that year, though.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Most of those games were 1942 or earlier when we went 1-18. We are 3-10 against them since WW2 and many of those games were when they were earning their death penalty for cheating.

We are 2-2 against SMU since 1990, and we are going to hand them their rear ends on September 6th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_Bowl

And the fact that only 2 of those games were played in Denton. And both of those games were UNT wins.

Really wish he would have taken the tact the SMU has never beaten UNT in Denton, and that UNT needs to extend that record.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

And the fact that only 2 of those games were played in Denton. And both of those games were UNT wins.

Really wish he would have taken the tact the SMU has never beaten UNT in Denton, and that UNT needs to extend that record.

Its almost as if he doesn't want or is trying not to create expectations to try to fulfill whatever legacy he thinks he has. If he builds momentum or expectations and doesn't fulfill them than he'll be known as the North Texas coach that couldn't quite put them over the edge. If he keeps the buzz out and away from Denton than no matter the results he will be remembered as that Iowa State coach that made them sort of kinda relevant for a microsecond.

Or for all we know he thinks we are going to be pretty bad and doesn't want to write checks that he thinks will bounce. More and more I listen to him the more and more I like him as our coach, but not as our universities representative. He throws too many backhands at (our, not his) brand and it's unnecessary.

• Upvote 2

Its almost as if he doesn't want or is trying not to create expectations to try to fulfill whatever legacy he thinks he has. If he builds momentum or expectations and doesn't fulfill them than he'll be known as the North Texas coach that couldn't quite put them over the edge. If he keeps the buzz out and away from Denton than no matter the results he will be remembered as that Iowa State coach that made them sort of kinda relevant for a microsecond.

Or for all we know he thinks we are going to be pretty bad and doesn't want to write checks that he thinks will bounce. More and more I listen to him the more and more I like him as our coach, but not as our universities representative. He throws too many backhands at (our, not his) brand and it's unnecessary.

Get your panties out of a wad, Ben.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think he is doing 2 things. First and foremost, it is a message to his team in an attempt to motivate them.

But it has the secondary benefit of lowering expectations if the season goes tits up.

But the unintended consequence is it sends the message to disaffected alumni that may be watching the local sports broadcast that we are the same old UNT and there really is nothing to see here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think he is doing 2 things. First and foremost, it is a message to his team in an attempt to motivate them.

But it has the secondary benefit of lowering expectations if the season goes tits up.

But the unintended consequence is it sends the message to disaffected alumni that may be watching the local sports broadcast that we are the same old UNT and there really is nothing to see here.

So basically what Ben said. Just shorter

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We didn't even have football until he parted the Red Sea and walked into Denton. Before Mac came here? Water at the concession stands. With him here now? Beer! It ain't exactly wine, but his miracle making has evolved in 2,000+ years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3