USA College Football Countdown: Nice to wait

Harry

USA today's list is down to #88 (North Carolina State) and tto this point no North Texas...

How high will we go this year? It will be interesting, It is nice to have to wait awhile for it no?

Here's the complete list: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/08/college-football-countdown-directory/8819991/

Some schools that popped out to me:

Arkansas # 89

SMU #100

Tulane #109

Southern Miss #113

UTEP #114

I don't follow the piggies anymore now that I no longer live in NW Arkansas but it is hard to believe they have fallen down so far. They used to be in the top 3 of their division on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Some schools that popped out to me:

Arkansas # 89

SMU #100

Tulane #109

Southern Miss #113

UTEP #114

I don't follow the piggies anymore now that I no longer live in NW Arkansas but it is hard to believe they have fallen down so far. They used to be in the top 3 of their division on a regular basis.

Arkansas is struggling. Granted it's against SEC competition. They will be lucky to win a conference game and I am sure the people creating these rankings are taking a possible 0-8 conference record into account. They even very well lose 2 of their OOC games as well, @ TTech and at home v NIU. In conference play they have to play @ Mizzou and against Georgia at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock as their cross eastern division opponents. So that's not easy sledding either considering they also have to play all of the west division. 2-10 is worse case scenario that could likely happen and I would say 5-7 is an absolute best case scenario. Regardless, GMG, beat Texas, beat SMwho, win the west!!

i'm putting my money that we show up in the next 87... book it

Not sure that's a dead solid bet.

I'd put the chances of us being completely forgotten about and left out of the poll at about 5%.

If this were a bleacher report deal, those chances would increase to about 40%.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Paul Myerburg is a very good analyst who did give us some respect last year, picking us at #55. That was exactly where the consensus of more than 100 who do computer ranking pegged us. That said, he'll look at results and not downgrade us due to the rebuilding status of CUSA.

We have much better depth than in year's past so even though we've lost rather heavily we still have decent strength overall. But our quarterback situation is the biggest unknown and we'll be marked down for it. I still don't think that we'll be in the 80's but at 79 I'll start looking in earnest. My guess is somewhere between 68 and 78 but closer to the high end.

We play a body bag game every year

The body bag games gives the program money, but also serves another important purpose, and that is recruiting. Uniforms may not be a big factor, but the opponents you play is a factor. Not a very top of the list factor, but its important.

these kids want a shot at the big boys in a big time environment. Even though it was a loss, being tied 21-21 at Georgia and looking at the crowd was one if the highlights of these players season. For some, thier career.

We play a body bag game every year and you absolutely know this, just like every minor program does. Don't pretend that you don't know we have a P5 school already on the schedule. Like we will just skip the money one year.

I think you know I respect your opinions when they are legit, but this post is just stupid.

I think you completely missed the context of that post.

I thought this was something new that was added. It isn't. If it was, it would absolutely affect future scheduling flexibility, which is already almost at zero.

And next year, we play 2 money games, not one, while playing 5 home games. Don't undersell what is happening,

We play a body bag game every year and you absolutely know this, just like every minor program does.

What bodybag game is Marshall playing next year? Southern Miss? (their game with MS State is a home-and-home). Old Dominion? (NC State is a home-and-home).

Yes, we do it every year; but there are several peer teams who don't feel they have that obligation.

• Upvote 2