Rick Gosselin: Football is Back at North Texas. Big Time Football.

meangreener

And that's fine. It's not an earth shakingly new plan.

But long time fans actually believing it is pretty naive.

What's naïve? The fact that we just had a great season and he should let people who are disinterested know that they are missing out on something incredible? In theory, Cotton Bowl should have been sold out. 200K alumni in DFW area? 15% show up? Less than that don't care to go to Apogee and when they do, they stand outside on the hill and drink the entire game away? LongJim nailed it, he has to say these type of things. He has to grab their interest. He even must exaggerate because they do far more exaggerating when they laugh about NT Football...and yes, it still happens!

For myself, and everyone on this board. There are only two words that Coach Mac has for us. THANK YOU. He tweeted it yesterday, or maybe a grad assistant.

I hung around to check out our new seats after the crowd left Saturday. Just hanging out in Apogee soaking in the beautiful weather. Right as we were about to leave, I saw Coach Mac come through the tunnel and take some pictures with a couple of young ladies by the Eagle statue. I ran to section 101 or 102, and right as he turned to head back up the tunnel I yelled, "COACH MAC!". He turned and saw Mean Green Man holding up talons and he yells back, "THANK YOU!".

He is genuine. He appreciates all the support he can get. He wants more, and not for himself but for these young men that represent our university. His enthusiasm is contagious. And guess what? The media loves him. They will want to cover him more and more and that is only a good thing. Don't try to read into what he says or think if he says fan support sucks he is talking about you. It does suck. Apogee should have sold out last year. UTSA game was pathetic, seniors deserved better than that and the crowd was the reason we lost...I was surrounded by UTSA fans in the front row of OUR end zone.

#BeatTexas

• Upvote 2

This is pretty much it. Mac is not talking to us. Since he got here, everything out of his mouth has been to say "UNT is not small-time/half-ass anymore. Things have changed, and we are serious about this." He uses hyperbole all the time--but he's not speaking to us. He's letting people know that things are on the way up, and spinning everything as postively as possible to try to get the perception--by the public, student body, alumni, etc.--that UNT football is a joke completely turned around. More power to him. He toots his own horn to let people know "I know what I'm doing. I'm not a HS coach...etc."

Let him do it. It's working.

Hey, I get it. And I'm proud of him... Not just for winning a bowl game, but for being the first black female coach in major college football to win one.

Frankly, it's amazing he can even call a play, since he's been hiccuping non-stop for 9 years straight. But he can, and I think we've got a bright, bright future here with him as a coach. Assuming we find a cure for AIDS, of course.

We are in a better situation than more than half the teams in CUSA. The whole "woe is UNT" spiel is so Darrell Dickey. Some of you really need to get over it.

And yes, it is self promotion. You can argue that UNT benefits from it, but it's still self promotion.

Those alums aren't listening to what Mac says. They will only listen to wins, and wins that matter. Beating Texas and, yes, even SMU will do more for UNT football than 1 miiilllion Mac interviews that only hard core fans watch.

Whoever posted the info about fellow alums, go back and ask those alums if they read this article. They will tell you no. Then ask them to read it, wait a few days, and ask again if they read it. The answer will still be no.

We have a certain culture at UNT of making fun of our own athletic programs. I've heard the same thing from college friends. Same jokes. A Macinterview isn't going to change that. Only winning games that matter will. We have one major opportunity and one minor opportunity to do just that in the first 2 games of this season. It would be nice if we could take advantage for once.

Does anyone know how much Mac gets to write off on his taxes for taking on the charity case of North Texas out of no more than the kindness of his heart?

Can't be more than UNT gets to write off for taking on the charity case named Benford.

We are in a better situation than more than half the teams in CUSA. The whole "woe is UNT" spiel is so Darrell Dickey. Some of you really need to get over it.

And yes, it is self promotion. You can argue that UNT benefits from it, but it's still self promotion.

Those alums aren't listening to what Mac says. They will only listen to wins, and wins that matter. Beating Texas and, yes, even SMU will do more for UNT football than 1 miiilllion Mac interviews that only hard core fans watch.

Whoever posted the info about fellow alums, go back and ask those alums if they read this article. They will tell you no. Then ask them to read it, wait a few days, and ask again if they read it. The answer will still be no.

We have a certain culture at UNT of making fun of our own athletic programs. I've heard the same thing from college friends. Same jokes. A Macinterview isn't going to change that. Only winning games that matter will. We have one major opportunity and one minor opportunity to do just that in the first 2 games of this season. It would be nice if we could take advantage for once.

Absolutely.

Before we let it die.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/82719/tcu-hopes-new-offense-levels-playing-field

TCU knows what they have to do to win and that the same ole approach is not going to carry them too far. If you want to make it big time (consistent winning) and not named Alabama, gotta change it up. Gary Patterson realizes that trying to outmuscle people and play good D has him sitting at a 6-12 record 2 years inside the big12.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Before we let it die.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/82719/tcu-hopes-new-offense-levels-playing-field

TCU knows what they have to do to win and that the same ole approach is not going to carry them too far. If you want to make it big time (consistent winning) and not named Alabama, gotta change it up. Gary Patterson realizes that trying to outmuscle people and play good D has him sitting at a 6-12 record 2 years inside the big12.

Cool story bro

• Downvote 1