Rick Gosselin: Football is Back at North Texas. Big Time Football.

meangreener

I'm at Love Field right now. I want to know why there's a luggage store IN the terminal. Do people just show up with armloads of clothing and realize they might enjoy something to put them in? Is SMU behind this? Where's a guy get good macaroni and cheese in Albuquerque when New Mexico State hasn't even gone to a bowl in decades? If Jesus walks on Lake Lewisville during a drought, does he get mud on his toes?

Overweight bags would be my guess. Seems it would be cheaper to pay the overweight charge, but who knows.

Didn't get a chance to laugh at utsa's athletic facilities bc the thread was locked, but hahaha, pathetic. And we have a high school football stadium? The bball and baseball facilities at SA juco would literally rival some 1A HS facilities, legitimately. Pitiful.

What other threads did you read today?

Only because they've drained Lake Bridgeport to the point that it's too empty to keep it so.

If any of you folks think big business only cares about money, take a good long look at what the BRA has done to close down the hydro plant in Morgan Shepard damn at Lake Possum Kingdom all in the name of the almighty water selling dollar.

And the 3.5 million in grant money allocated to repair the hydro plant in 2005? Or the over 20 million allocated over a 15 year span to maintain the hydro plant and dam? Anyone know where it went? Brazos River Authority won't tell anyone.

Meanwhile, they propose to cool 2 new reactors at Comanche Peak with Possum Kingdom water. In the middle of a drought. They could give 2 craps about public perception. Why? Because of the almighty dollar and they answer to no one.

Not stock holders, not consumers.

No one but elected officials who don't care to understand the precious resource that is water.

Instead of propose a reservoir that could adequately handle the needed water for Comanche Peak (Squaw Creek was severely under-engineered and doesn't provide enough water to cool Comanche Peak, and hasn't for years. They suck it out of Lake Granbury), the BRA puts this piece of crap proposal on the table to sell as much water as quickly as possible.

There should be an independent investigation into the funding and business dealings of the BRA, but it will never happen, as too much collateral damage would be done (crooked and ignorant politicians allowing this to happen on their watch).

Rant over.

Edited by UNT90

I thought they were selling all the water to southwest Texas? I read a long article on Lake Buchanan which I believe is the CRA where they way over committed to to the irrigation farming to areas of South West Texas, and they did it without regard to conditions. Plus it went on to say how much water was wasted at the irrigation levels. Where they would just wash the ditches without regard. They threw the BRA under the bus as well. It was a blind commitment that could only be maintained in wet years and should never have been intended for dry years and just devastated any conservative use of the water. I would bet the BRA did the same idiot move. I would not think a power plant uses as much water comparatively, having spent much of my youth skiing on a power plant lake. They recovered a good amount of their water I was told and that is why the water was warmer than most lakes. Nice in the spring and fall, and even the winter.

While lakes are down they should dredge them get them deeper for next time.

I thought they were selling all the water to southwest Texas? I read a long article on Lake Buchanan which I believe is the CRA where they way over committed to to the irrigation farming to areas of South West Texas, and they did it without regard to conditions. Plus it went on to say how much water was wasted at the irrigation levels. Where they would just wash the ditches without regard. They throw the BRA under the bus as well. It was a blind commitment that could only be maintained in wet years and should never have been intended for dry years and just devastated any conservative use of the water. I would bet the BRA did the same idiot move. I would not think a power plant uses as much water comparatively, having spent much of my youth skiing on a power plant lake. They recovered a good amount of their water I was told and that is why the water was warmer than most lakes. Nice in the spring and fall, and even the winter.

While lakes are down they should dredge them get them deeper for next time.

Morgan Shepard hydro plant sent 190,000 acre feet of water per year on average downstream before its closure in 2008, coincidentally the same year I moved to Granbury to "live on the lake." This is why many falsly considered Granbury a "constant level lake" as recently as 2008. People bought lakefront property after being told by real estate agents that the lake was constant level. The lake was constant level until the Hydro plant in Morgan Shepard was shut down in 2008. One year later lake levels fell to almost record lows, and to a level not seen in over a decade.

Yes, the water contracts with the south Texas farners are a problem, also, and were signed thinking we would be in a wet cycle forever. They have completely MISmanaged this river system and have done a ton of ecological and economical damage along the way. The businesses on Granbury square come and go yearly, with the most open retail space I've seen since moving here. I really don't know how this town survives this summer without a flood this spring.

We had a full lake after heavy winter and early Spring rains in 2012. Lake was full Memorial Day weekend, yet 4 feet low the second week of July after heavy June rains.

Water doesn't evaporate that fast.

Hopefully the recently passed water legislation eventually helps, but I'll be shocked if it does, as the omni powerful water boards of this state will most likely dictate spending. With the explosion of population in DFW we should have addressed this problem long before now. Throw a drought on top, and things could get really scary on the western end of the metroplex by mid-August.

Edited by UNT90

On North Lake the water was just used for steam and recycled back with some kind of condensation capture. That plant was Natural Gas. I did not realize we had any true hydroelectric plants in this area of Texas.

We shall see what happens, hopefully we have a very wet May.