Rick Gosselin: Football is Back at North Texas. Big Time Football.

meangreener

Yes, it's just coach speak, kind of like when Mac said "This is the toughest place to work in college football."

Oh wait, that was Dickey. The funny thing is that when Dickey said it, he was winning, and everyone loved him or over looked it. When he started losing is when all these comments came back up and the lynch mob was formed.

If Mac goes 2-10 next year the same thing will happen to him.

A long, long time ago, a coach at North Texas named Hayden Fry said something to the effect of there was no football at North Texas before he arrived. A number of the football alumni, especially some then in the NFL, were not happy with that but got over it when he started winning.

Coach Fry was a believer in never letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

If you don't believe this is the hardest place to coach in D1, name me a coach with prolonged success in the last 40 years. (5+ years.) Not a fan of Dickey's behavior, but he seems absolutely correct. Fry also felt this way. When Mac leaves, unless he implodes, this place will be in 110% better situation.

I mean, between budget problems, facility problems and bitter, jaded fans...this was difficult. Make no mistake Mac came here because he wanted the toughest task...so that he'll always be able to say "Look. I turned around NORTH TEXAS. NORTH TEXAS!" Whether that's his retirement job as a professional motivator, or somewhere else. He knew if he could turn us around, we'd be his crown jewel...because nobody else could. That's just a fact.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 2

If you don't believe this is the hardest place to coach in D1, name me a coach with prolonged success in the last 40 years. (5+ years.) Not a fan of Dickey's behavior, but he seems absolutely correct. Fry also felt this way. When Mac leaves, unless he implodes, this place will be in 110% better situation.

I mean, between budget problems, facility problems and bitter, jaded fans...this was difficult. Make no mistake Mac came here because he wanted the toughest task...so that he'll always be able to say "Look. I turned around NORTH TEXAS. NORTH TEXAS!" Whether that's his retirement job as a professional motivator, or somewhere else. He knew if he could turn us around, we'd be his crown jewel...because nobody else could. That's just a fact.

Three letters.

U. L. M.

Just on Saturday my friend posted on FB that he got season tickets.

"How did you get to the front of the line?"

"What'd that run ya? $50 for the whole season? Bahahaha"

"Best $10 you have ever spent"

"We got a football team?"

All alumni from our time there when we were going to NO Bowls every year. These are the people Coach Mac is trying to reach and will keep trying to until he is blue in the face. What's pathetic is that he has to. All these guys are football fans, they watch college & NFL games. However, they can't be bothered to give a crap about their own university. Not even after the amazing year that was last season. Coach Mac asks even if you are the mildest fan ever, why not jump on board?

I cannot answer that question. Makes no sense to me. He is building something special here. There are still detractors on this board, heck, even in this post. As Coach Mac once said during a radio interview at Rudy's, "let's take the negativity out of it"

The sad part of those posts were that they came from alumni. Guys who will only show back up once this thing gets solidified

Three letters.

U. L. M.

Would you say ULM's fans have the same expectations as we do?

Our problem is, in the past, the fans want what the team has been unable to provide.

Maybe it's just students now (seriously doubt that) but everyone, the alumni included, are really hungry. They have pride in their school. Not sure that's the same over there. Don't know the history of it, but it seems like that's the issue. The 6,000 students that live in the student life of NT are invested. They leave and become paying alumni. Some get fed up and leave. It's a never ending cycle. Mac and the AD are trying to turn everyone else, and I know from talking with the department (because I'm trying to grab an internship), into those fans but keep the ones who get frustrated. We want results. We haven't had commitment from the top before and now we do. Look at how active this forum is. Is there another G5 forum as active as ours? Not too sure about that.

Problem was, like I've said, we demand results. Administration didn't. Thus difficult job. See: the infamous Flanagan confrontation I've heard legends about, the black jersey debacle, Dickey's interviews and comments, Todge's desperation...our admin accepted mediocrity and I'm not even talking about RV. Higher up the ladder. Argue about Benny all you want but they don't now, IMO. but the fans refuse to accept mediocrity. That's what sets us apart. You should know that, of all people.

We all need to enjoy the ride and let Mac do his thing. Will it succeed? I know so. But if you don't, just enjoy the ride and hope it does.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 1

Akron, Idaho, New Mexico State, UAB... To say we're a worse job than any or all of those (just off the top of my head) is flat wrong.

Turning around a program that's one of the 10 or 20 toughest places at the time you were hired is an amazing achievement. Saying it's the worst is just hyperbole, and not necessary, because the actual accomplishment is fantastic enough. Not that Mac did, but it's the point of disagreement at the moment.

Anyway, we're getting away from the real point. Dan McCarney, a deaf-mute afflicted with leprosy and two kinds of hepatitis, managed to make this program a winner in just three years. Even when his genitals were destroyed by that flesh-eating bacteria and the mad cow disease started destroying his brain, he didn't give up. And we're in a much better place for it.

Fan-speak!

Akron, Idaho, New Mexico State, UAB... To say we're a worse job than any or all of those (just off the top of my head) is flat wrong.

Turning around a program that's one of the 10 or 20 toughest places at the time you were hired is an amazing achievement. Saying it's the worst is just hyperbole, and not necessary, because the actual accomplishment is fantastic enough. Not that Mac did, but it's the point of disagreement at the moment.

Anyway, we're getting away from the real point. Dan McCarney, a deaf-mute afflicted with leprosy and two kinds of hepatitis, managed to make this program a winner in just three years. Even when his genitals were destroyed by that flesh-eating bacteria and the mad cow disease started destroying his brain, he didn't give up. And we're in a much better place for it.

Fan-speak!

I'd say UAB is a worse job in 2011. That's all I can agree on.

• Downvote 1

NMSU hasn't been to a Bowl game since like 1960. Not won...PLAYED IN.

And they were in the same spot as us in 2010.

To make it clear, I don't think it's the hardest job NOW. I think Mac and the administration have shown you can win here.

Weak conference that appeared to be disintegrating, 16K attendance, routinely worst recruiting and apathy from administration. Sounds familiar.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 2

And they were in the same spot as us in 2010.

To make it clear, I don't think it's the hardest job NOW. I think Mac and the administration have shown you can win here.

No, in 2010 we had at least shown we could get to a Bowl and/or win a conference title in the not too distant past. NMSU hadn't shown anything.

This has never been the worst job in college football. Never. We may have had the worst program for a time...but program and job are not the same thing.

No, in 2010 we had at least shown we could get to a Bowl and/or win a conference title in the not too distant past. NMSU hadn't shown anything.

This has never been the worst job in college football. Never. We may have had the worst program for a time...but program and job are not the same thing.

That helped our budget, attendance, recruiting how?

NT is in a highly competitive state and market. We will demand value for our dollar or spend it elsewhere. Most alums did and became TCU fans. Unfortunate reality.

That's what separates us.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 5

That helped our budget, attendance, recruiting how?

Well, our attendance was better in 2010 than it was in say...1997. Not sure what you're getting at it. NT is not the toughest job...or the toughest place to win at. Never was or has been.

We averaged 19,000 in 1997.

You didn't go to games back then. We ANNOUNCED 19K fans a game. Our bean counters made SMU's look legit. If you take out the neutral site game vs A&M that season, or attendance was very poor. The last game of the season vs Utah State (one of the best games I ever saw in person BTW) had no more than 4K people.

Tops.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I'd say UAB is a worse job in 2011. That's all I can agree on.

YOU WON'T AGREE IDAHO IS A WORSE PLACE TO COACH!?!?!

They play in an airplane hanger, in a state with very few D1 athletes, with anyone who could be talked into going to Idaho already going to Boise St, AND THEY ARE MOST LIKELY GOING TO BE IN THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE IN FIVE YEARS!

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

You're right, I didn't. I'm simply going by what the announced crowds were and if it's wrong, then it is. I'm simply stating how I see it.

I once had to run to another section to high five a fan. Because I was the only person in my section. I know it's hard, but understand that things existed and happened before you did.

• Upvote 6

YOU WON'T AGREE IDAHO IS A WORSE PLACE TO COACH!?!?!

They play in an airplane hanger, in a state with very few D1 athletes, with anyone who could be talked into going to Idaho already going to Boise St, AND THEY ARE MOST LIKELY GOING TO BE IN THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE IN FIVE YEARS!

Because the fans don't care, I wouldn't call it difficult. There's no outcry from students for a better stadium like we had. Texas expectations>>>>>>>>>x1000000>>>>>>>>Idaho expectations

• Downvote 1

I'm not even arguing the 19K. I couldn't care less about the actual numbers. All I'm trying to say is this is Texas. We have expectations of greatness. Not a lot of the schools mentioned do.

Maybe if you'd side step the "get off my lawn" attitude you'd understand that I'm freaking complimenting the fan support we have. But nah, don't read the post.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Maybe if you'd side step the "get off my lawn" attitude you'd understand that I'm freaking complimenting the fan support we have. But nah, don't read the post.

So young, so cool. You are right, someone could only disagree with you because deep down inside we wish we were you.

I'll PM you my login information, now that I understand any attempt to disagree with your omnipotence would only be deleterious to your efforts to spread universal wisdom to the masses.

PS: Get started on the Ukraine thread, there is a backlog.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So young, so cool. You are right, someone could only disagree with you because deep down inside we wish we were you.

I'll PM you my login information, now that I understand any attempt to disagree with your omnipotence would only be deleterious to your efforts to spread universal wisdom to the masses.

PS: Get started on the Ukraine thread, there is a backlog.

So you didn't even read what I was saying. Cool.

Because the fans don't care, I wouldn't call it difficult. There's no outcry from students for a better stadium like we had. Texas expectations>>>>>>>>>x1000000>>>>>>>>Idaho expectations

We have high expectations? We are commemorating the HOD Bowl like it's the damn National Title. Look, I loved last season. I bussed 31.5 hours each way to make the effing game from Los Angeles. I bought 2 damn commemorative t-shirts and am not gonna wear one to keep as a memento. But seriously....it wasn't like we were playing in a Major Bowl game. We weren't even playing in a 2nd tier game. The very fact that all of this is so great means our expectations are low.

If we don't win 6 games next season, Mac will get little heat, if any. Mac would have to have more than three straight losing seasons to get get serious heat put on him (because he's liked way more than Dickey, who only had two). Our expectations haven't been increased much at all. We bitch and moan, but this is not a pressure cooker job with fans having unreasonable expectations every year. Most of us would be thrilled if we won 7-8 games a year for the next decade.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have high expectations? We are commemorating the HOD Bowl like it's the damn National Title. Look, I loved last season. I bussed 31.5 hours each way to make the effing game from Los Angeles. I bought 2 damn commemorative t-shirts and am not gonna wear one to keep as a memento. But seriously....it wasn't like we were playing in a Major Bowl game. We weren't even playing in a 2nd tier game. The very fact that all of this is so great means our expectations are low.

If we don't win 6 games next season, Mac will get little heat, if any. Mac would have to have more than three straight losing seasons to get get serious heat put on him (because he's likes way more than Dickey, who only had two). Our expectations haven't been increased much at all. We bitch and moan, but this is not a pressure cooker job with fans having unreasonable expectations every year. Most of us would be thrilled if we won 7-8 games a year for the next decade.

Fair enough. You make a good point, I can't really disagree with you because that is true as well.

Thanks for actually reading my post and not just telling me to get off your lawn.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2