USA Today predicts us 4th...again!?!?!?!?!?

BIG DAWG

Don't you think that is about where most of the pre-season magazines will put us. After all, they look at our lost stars, our need for a new quarterback and a DL that needs total rebuilding. I'm a homer and hope for better, but if I were a magazine prognosticator and not wearing green glasses, that is about where I would project us.

Not really. We lose a ton of skill players on offense and 6 of our front 7 on defense. We need to get used to these type of predictions, because more will be on the way.

Right or wrong, many look at last season as a flash in the pan. Hopefully we prove them wrong.

Edited by UNT90

FAU and MUTS will finish ahead of WKU in the east. No way WKU finishes 2nd. I can see as most of us can how an outsider looking in would pick utsa ahead of us, but La Tech? And who's to say Rice is a lock at 1? They have many voids to plug in as do we. The season will take care of itself. However, if I was Mac or any coach I would print 85 copies of this and hand it out.

I think Tech being ahead of is purely based on the fact they have a returning QB. I thought they undervalued our offensive line which may be the best in the league and our secondary especially cornerback.

It's going to be a very fun year... I can't wait.

Really like the teams and matchups in this league.

Ignore it. They will be missed, but weight rooms were invented for a reason. Develop your young and legitimately establish a next man up program. North Texas will never do anything or go anywhere until that mentality is not instilled into the freshmen starting day 1. I think that is Macs best characteristic as a coach. Changing a mindset, he's been trying to do it for 3+ years while he's been here. I think the dividends of it will be seen on the field this year. That our back-ups last year will step in this year and be the next man up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Culture is a dangerous thing for sports gurus - they overestimate the programs that have it and underestimate the programs that have it building.

Mean Green Football is building a culture of hard work, performance and winning. They don't see that yet and I love it.

Make your mark Mean Green 14.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Culture is a dangerous thing for sports gurus - they overestimate the programs that have it and underestimate the programs that have it building.

Mean Green Football is building a culture of hard work, performance and winning. They don't see that yet and I love it.

Make your mark Mean Green 14.

GMG

Agree.

As long as we have Coach McCarney, this program is just going to get better...I see us being a good team again this year, assuming we have a solid QB leading the offense. I have zero worries in our D-Line being developed because I trust Mac and Skladany to coach them up and I trust Wintrich to strengthen them up--same with the OLine for the future, too.

We will be a good team again this season. I see us 2nd or 3rd in the West, with Rice first and us battling UTSA for the next spot. Everything I said about McCarney is how I feel about Larry Coker, too. UTSA will be very tough, even with the replacement of their QB from last year.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Question:

Given all that we know going into next season, wouldn't you pick us to go fourth as well? I know I would at this stage.

I would have utsa ahead. Not a team we beat that is losing just as many players (rice) and a team we whipped in thier house that barely won any games (latech). Edited by GOMG2013

As long as we have Coach McCarney, this program is just going to get better...I see us being a good team again this year, assuming we have a solid QB leading the offense. I have zero worries in our D-Line being developed because I trust Mac and Skladany to coach them up and I trust Wintrich to strengthen them up--same with the OLine for the future, too.

We will be a good team again this season. I see us 2nd or 3rd in the West, with Rice first and us battling UTSA for the next spot. Everything I said about McCarney is how I feel about Larry Coker, too. UTSA will be very tough, even with the replacement of their QB from last year.

Sousa was UTSAs team last year. I saw nothing overpowering other than his ability to scramble. Same with the RICE QB.