Noah Joseph is Leaving

DentonAmerica

This. When greener grows up and has a family, he will realize that THE #1 priority is taking care of that family. Period.

Especially over a school from which you did not graduate and a job you have been working at for 2 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Joseph return here as DC once Skledany decides to hang up the whistle.

We really need to decide if we want to play major college sports. Losing Joseph to a P5 private school with a huge budget is something that can't be avoided. Losing a coach to freaking Memphis in a lateral move is an embarrassment.

Still trying to do it on the cheap at UNT.

Agree, 90. Can't knock a guy for making a move to give his family a better life. Absolutely have to pay these guys more, anyone know what our total budget for the football staff is compared to other schools? Just the few I've looked up on the Texas Tribune website makes it look like we pay our guys way too little to keep them around.

I wonder if many of you, run your home budget like you would like NT to do. Give Mac a new contract, raise assistant coaches salaries, get rid of the guarantee games, buy out contracts of non-performers and build new facilities. NT has put more money into athletics than they ever have, but money is still a big issue like is at most schools.

Everyone of us would like to do everything to raise NT up in the athletic world, but we must face reality. Resources are finite and NT may be lucky to keep the current funding in light of what going on in the school's finances.

Every school loses good assistants to better offers. The successful ones reload and go on.

• Upvote 3

Well if he wants to leave, bye. I don't care what school offered him. If he wants to chase money then that's on him. If he doesn't want to see the program rise up from the ashes and actually be competitive then that's on him. Duke and/or Indiana are conference doormats. I don't care what duke did this past year. They are losing a lot of players and their O coordinator took the OC job at Florida. So expect a drop off. A big drop off comparable to last years results. Before last year Duke hadn't been bowling since 1991 I believe. As far as Indiana goes, they are a B1G doormat, always have been and always will be.

• Downvote 4

a62a93f93010826d4e3a662fe93e68677cc9c4ee

We should hire Mike Ditka to take over the recruiting coordinator position

i say hire a RC. If Trice doesn't get an opportunity in the NFL bring him in as a GA to sit underneath the hired RC to eventually take over. He knows how to talk to people and as he ages into his late 20's early 30's he would be a fantastic RC.

Well if he wants to leave, bye. I don't care what school offered him. If he wants to chase money then that's on him. If he doesn't want to see the program rise up from the ashes and actually be competitive then that's on him. Duke and/or Indiana are conference doormats. I don't care what duke did this past year. They are losing a lot of players and their O coordinator took the OC job at Florida. So expect a drop off. A big drop off comparable to last years results. Before last year Duke hadn't been bowling since 1991 I believe. As far as Indiana goes, they are a B1G doormat, always have been and always will be.

This is the classic fan being a fan and not looking at the business side of this.

Money talks in every profession. I'm pretty sure you would take a hefty raise and a more prestigious job too.

He is from Ohio and grew up around Big Ten football, so it probably means a lot to him to get back to his roots.

There is no need to be mad at Coach Joesph for this decision. It was a very smart move.

• Upvote 3

Duke and/or Indiana are conference doormats. I don't care what duke did this past year. They are losing a lot of players and their O coordinator took the OC job at Florida. So expect a drop off. A big drop off comparable to last years results. Before last year Duke hadn't been bowling since 1991 I believe. As far as Indiana goes, they are a B1G doormat, always have been and always will be.

The exact same thing could be said of us.

• Upvote 1

The exact same thing could be said of us.

I'm not mad at anyone. I don't care. If he doesn't want to be here, money or whatever, I don't care to have him here. Same thing could be said of us, but we don't have to play Ohio St, Michigan, Missouri (OOC), Iowa, Penn St, Maryland or Michigan State. At least 6 guaranteed loses. Does North Texas have 6 guaranteed loses? Indiana does. Good luck coach.
  • Downvote 2

Raising the salaries will make it quite a bit more difficult.

Sorry, just don't see Indiana or Duke as much of a better job. Near impossible to win at Indiana, and Duke can't get over the hump. That's going to roadblock often. I see Malzahn getting hired to Auburn and Fedora to NC and etc...no reason for us to lose coaches to programs like Duke, Memphis or Indiana. Or hell, in basketball, LSU.

If we're going to be a "stepping stone" we need to be a stepping stone to the P5's elite. Plain and simple. At least Arkansas State loses people to good schools.

Call it delusions all you like, I have grander aspirations than dwelling in CUSA and getting poached by Big 10 doormats Indiana.

LSU in basketball has a very rich history--losing our coach to his alma mater that has been to Final Fours and plays in an AQ league is probably as complimentary to the success he had at UNT in the SBC as we have ever had in any sport.

As far as losing coaches to Memphis and Indiana, they have bigger budgets and better conferences to get paid better. Memphis Football may be way down, but their hoops program is always good to great, which brings in a lot of money to their AD. We don't have that luxury. IU football is usually very bad, but then again, so has UNT football, for the most part. But the B1G gives schools like Indiana a ton of bowl money even when they don't go to an actual bowl game--guess what they get to do with that cash? Pay their coaches and administrators, who all hope to have a good season in a place like Bloomington, which gets attention in places like Austin, Norman, Baton Rouge, and Columbus, meaning another huge raise comes down the pike. We lost our defensive coordinator to Kansas a while back--a place where wins on the gridiron happen less frequently than their losses on the basketball court. But he got a huge raise. You cannot compete with that. Can you with Memphis? Eventually, if you build a national winner in football or basketball to build your overall budget up, or get into a conference that brings people out to watch those two sporting events and gives you unearned bowl revenues and NCAA Tournament revenues. Until one of those two things happen at UNT, these types of coaching moves are going to keep happening--just like they will at UTSA, UTEP, Rice, MUTS, La Tech, etc...

Edited by untjim1995

Why is Memphis considered a lateral move to some? They pay almost double. That's not lateral. Its an easy decision to make.

Walters was on full time at Arizona and made 125k in 2011. No salary listed at OU, and he took a step back trying to get exposure as a GA. Made 63k last year. No brainer that he is looking to get paid now.

It's a lateral football move. The pay descrepamcy IS the problem.

If we don't want to pay to play big boy football, go back to FCS.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The same thing happens in the chemistry, history, math, engineering, etc. departments. Faculty leave for more money, better research facilities, institutional prestige, promotions, and on and on. You express appreciation for what they did for you and go get someone better to replace them. The only time this doesn't happen is when no one wants your people.

I wonder if many of you, run your home budget like you would like NT to do. Give Mac a new contract, raise assistant coaches salaries, get rid of the guarantee games, buy out contracts of non-performers and build new facilities. NT has put more money into athletics than they ever have, but money is still a big issue like is at most schools.

Everyone of us would like to do everything to raise NT up in the athletic world, but we must face reality. Resources are finite and NT may be lucky to keep the current funding in light of what going on in the school's finances.

Every school loses good assistants to better offers. The successful ones reload and go on.

I want baseball, too. And an indoor practice facility.

Also, why are those helmets so expensive? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.